Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The solid, "anhydrous" lanolin actually does a little better than using any of the other solids, including the "butter" variety.  Regular anhydrous lanolin is just that: lanolin without water - and without much of the natural oil that is found in liquid lanolin.

By the way, the lanolin product marketed as "nipple cream" is the cat's pajamas for some folks during a specific period of time after childbirth.  What's better?  Cocoa butter; it's easier to apply, works just as well, and let's just say that flavor makes a difference.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry about that.  

Anyway, my attempts with anhydrous lanolin "work," but it takes warming up the container (I run hot water over the bottom of the spray bottle) then lots of agitation to get the wax suspended.  The plus side is that it's easy to get "enough" lube on the cases when I shake them in a big zipper bag with a few sprays of this stuff.  I don't think it's that much of a benefit though.

So, I have a couple pounds of lanolin I can use to waterproof boots, etc.  And I bought liquid lanolin from some granola-based organic food shop on Amazon, and it just mixes with the alcohol.  It still needs a bit of a shake before using it, but it's more about keeping the stuff consistent.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I think this bootleg lube is getting popular. I just looked up lanolin oil on amazon and it suggested I buy Iso with it. here
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pops01:
I think this bootleg lube is getting popular. I just looked up lanolin oil on amazon and it suggested I buy Iso with it. here
View Quote

I am not a Heet fan.  I don't know what the non-alcohol ingredients might do, either to the lanolin, or to me.

I use isopropyl alcohol.  91% has worked fine for me, and it costs 1/4 what Heet does.  You can also get a gallon of denatured alcohol for less than $8 (in the paint section of Lowes or Home Depot), which is much less expensive than 99% isopropyl, and that gallon makes a whole lot of lube.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Next time around I will go with 91% alcohol, the 99% is enough to get Ya drunk off the fumes.

Also THIS bottle works awesome. Very fine mist, and it is holding up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Chap stik is the best case lube i'v ever used, I am not making this up, the stuff just plain works, never had a stuck case or dent's in the case with it ever. 3 packs at wally world for .89.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#10]
ChapStick?  Interesting.  It's a soft, waxy material, and contains lanolin, along with a bunch of other waxes and wax-like materials, including white petrolatum*.  For single stage loading, it sounds like a fairly good choice.  I'd avoid the flavored ones though - more ingredients for the flavoring might be problematic.

How do you apply it, and how much do you use?

*See this citation for an authoritative listing of ingredients.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I made a little holder so the tube stands up next to my loader, rub just a tad on my left fingers pick up a case with my left fingers turn it around a bit and I keep a q-tip with some on it for the case mouth. takes 1 second, honest to god this is the best stuff I ever used , I have been loading ammo for many many years, I never get dent,s on the shoulder ever , wash em up with hot water and dawn, dry-done.and yes I have even used the cherry and mint, no difference, try it . I used to get stuck cases no matter what I used,and use just enough to get a coating on the case, don't take much.
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
ChapStick?  Interesting.  It's a soft, waxy material, and contains lanolin, along with a bunch of other waxes and wax-like materials, including white petrolatum*.  For single stage loading, it sounds like a fairly good choice.  I'd avoid the flavored ones though - more ingredients for the flavoring might be problematic.

How do you apply it, and how much do you use?

*See this citation for an authoritative listing of ingredients.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Sort of like an Imperial Wax technique...  Very nice.  That's filed away for future use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:03:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#13]
This is a great thread.  I have one bottle of One Shot left but will work to acquire the lanolin and IPA over the next couple of months.

I think, rather than using a bag, I'm going to use an aluminum cooking pan.  Those will hold a decent amount of cases and the overspray could easily be cleaned out with a paper towel.  If I ruined the pan, no biggie, I buy them in bulk at Costco...something like 20 pans for $6.

Thanks all for your contributions

By the way Amazon has a 2 pack of 16oz 99% IPA going for under $10 Prime right now
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:21:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#15]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Even better, use a box you never clean.

I store box upside down so it doesn't collect dust.
View Quote
Sure but then the box gets gross over time doesn't it? Absorbing the oil and making a mess on the bench?

I guess if that's the case you just get a new cardboard box  
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]
FWIW this stuff is great for wiping on carbon steel tools and blades.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#18]
When I mixed up my batch, I just sat it outside in the sun on a 105 degree day for a couple hours.  It completely emulsified on its own.  I have done thousands of .223, .308, and formed .300AAC cases with it, no issues at all.  

I put my cases in a line with the necks pointed to me, hit them with a quick spray down the line, roll them once, one more quick sweeping spray, let dry 5-10 minutes and then go to war.  

I place the cases on a towel and then use a smaller towel with mineral spirits to wipe off the lube afterwards.  I have stopped cleaning the inside of the case neck, there seems to be no need.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Sure but then the box gets gross over time doesn't it? Absorbing the oil and making a mess on the bench?

I guess if that's the case you just get a new cardboard box  
View Quote
There's no "oil" involved.  Lanolin is a wax.  The box gets waxy, but no big deal.  I have a flimsy cardboard tray that I use to let the cases dry in - it's been "well used" for several years without any noticeable wear or buildup.

I use the bag to keeps the overspray from my little bottle contained.  It's neater for me, in a relatively confined space (my loading room is the smallest bedroom in the house, roughly 10'x10').
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Amazon had the 99% alcohol and the lanolin oil. Should be here Wednesday.
Thanks for all the tips guys..
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I mixed it 12 to 1, works great. I think 16 to 1 would be fine. I'm going to delute to make 8oz. and give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:31:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Springer09:
why the hate for one shot?
View Quote

One reason I don't like it is because it made me wheeze when I tried it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Another cheap case lube I use on pistol cases us olive oil.  

Steps: filthy range brass goes in a large colander that is sitting in a larger bowl of warm, soapy (Dawn) water.  Swish around to get loose dirt out.  Remove collander, rinse with clean water. Rattle around to remove excess water. Pop wet cases (still in collander) into the oven at 250 º until dry.  Dampen three paper towels with olive oil, then roll casings over oily parper towels...size and deprime casings in the progressive.  Throw deprived brass in tumbler. Set progressive up for reloading cleaned, deprimed cases.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
FWIW this stuff is great for wiping on carbon steel tools and blades.
View Quote
Awesome pro tip! I need to hose down my L.E. Wilson trimmer and shell holders with this stuff.

I dug out a old coffee canister full of some .308 brass I'd done over 2 years ago and the cases were all still just a slick as the day I resized them. No doubt this stuff would be great for rust prevention on tools, etc.

The stuff just flat out works, and works extremely well. I'll never use anything else again unless I'm only neck sizing fire formed brass and just lubing the shoulder/neck. Oh & when I get around to doing that. I'll be trying the chapstick as mentioned above

So far all of my bootleg lube (red heet & now liquid lanolin)has been at the 12:1 ratio, but I might give the 16:1 a shot next time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:07:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never been so happy with a case lube.
It's glass, no fear of getting a case stuck at all now. I left it at 12:1.. now that it's totally melded Its perfect. I can't thank you all enough for the tip. Especially since I was blaming the dies and ready to buy a new set.
It's all good now. Thanks !!!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I made a batch with 2 12 OZ bottles of Iso heat.

Mixed at a 12:1 ratio I've resized about 1200 5.56, 800 7.62 LC machine gun brass, and about 250 6.8 SPC.

I've probably only used 1/2 the batch I made doing all that. I like to spray into the case mouths really good to get the neck lubricated for the sizing die. After all the brass is prepped it goes into my stainless wet tumbler.

It's smoother going in the dies than imperial sizing lube. That's pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By memsu:
I made a batch with 2 12 OZ bottles of Iso heat.

Mixed at a 12:1 ratio I've resized about 1200 5.56, 800 7.62 LC machine gun brass, and about 250 6.8 SPC.

I've probably only used 1/2 the batch I made doing all that. I like to spray into the case mouths really good to get the neck lubricated for the sizing die. After all the brass is prepped it goes into my stainless wet tumbler.

It's smoother going in the dies than imperial sizing lube. That's pretty impressive.
View Quote
Memsu, glad it is working for you, it is truly good stuff.

Friendly reflection .... I use the same 12:1 you are .... and a 1 12 oz bottle of Iso heat batch has literally done over 10,000 (maybe over 15,000) 5.56 and have 1/4 left.    So you may be able to use less product....a little truly goes a long way.    Again,  we all do what works for us ...... just hoping you might appreciate the comparative info.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#28]
The DIY case lube has hit the Midsouth Blog , albeit at a thick 10:1 .... I prefer 12-14:1

Homehealth had no idea how pro-reloader they are lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:24:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#29]
Here's my weak attempt at a contribution.  If this has already been mentioned somewhere in the eight pages, let me know and I'll delete this.  If not, perhaps the OP can update the procedure to reflect this.  

Fill the spray bottle with alcohol first (step four).  The graduations are easy to read, they are non-existent for small volumes of lanolin.  

Once you have the bottle filled with 16 ounces of alcohol, then add two ounces of lanolin (step five).  It is easier to read how much lanolin you are adding - the graduations are right there, as opposed to the unmarked, curved bottom of the bottle.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:56:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RifleDisciple] [#30]
I jumped right into this Lanolin mix straight from the start. I found the Lanolin at Central Market and some 91% alcohol at Walmart. Could not find any 99% locally from the few places I looked, but that's alright. I am very happy with this mixture and have no desire to try other more expensive lubes. One 4oz bottle of lanolin is likely to last a decade for me. Very happy I found this thread right from the beginning. Thanks guys!

Also I think I am using 14-16:1 for my mixture. I will not go more than 14:1 as it still seems to provide plenty of lube at that concentration. I can just add another spray or two for larger batches of brass.

Edit: 16:1 for me because right now I load small batches, so I don't need a thick solution to coat hundreds of cases at once.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Just started doing exactly this. I'll have enough lube to last me 87 years. and it was only 8ish bucks....
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I just mixed up some of this because I trust folks in this sub forum and I haven't resized with it yet, but it seems to work phenomenally well at helping remove rust and coat guns that are prone to rust.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
When I mixed up my batch, I just sat it outside in the sun on a 105 degree day for a couple hours.  It completely emulsified on its own.  I have done thousands of .223, .308, and formed .300AAC cases with it, no issues at all.

I put my cases in a line with the necks pointed to me, hit them with a quick spray down the line, roll them once, one more quick sweeping spray, let dry 5-10 minutes and then go to war.

I place the cases on a towel and then use a smaller towel with mineral spirits to wipe off the lube afterwards.  I have stopped cleaning the inside of the case neck, there seems to be no need.
View Quote
Interesting.

Just been looking at ways to lube brass on YouTube as handling each one got boring real quick. Found a link to here.

Ordered lanolin and a spray bottle I use IPA anyway I was just reading through here on best way to do it. This sounds like a winner especially as I won't need to dip and brush with mica as I have been.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m prelubing all of my pistol cases with this stuff after I take them out of the dehydrator.  Saves me time when I need to knock out a few hundred on the 650.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:55:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pesty] [#37]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Just a bit of spray into the necks is all that is needed, and not every case needs lube inside the neck.

As the button is fine for several cases between needing lube. Of course if your getting squeaking when you size, lube is needed.

We get occasional posts from "the rest of the world" and they are always welcomed.

Welcome to the forum.
View Quote
Thanks :) not new around here though. been reading  this site for about 10  years. I mean just got a link to this thread from YouTube.

Eager to try this.
with the pad I use now I tend to get too much on at first then not enough and do 5 or so at a time then clean out necks with brush and dip in mica. Laying them all on a towel and a couple of squirts seems a lot easier and quicker.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
I’m prelubing all of my pistol cases with this stuff after I take them out of the dehydrator.  Saves me time when I need to knock out a few hundred on the 650.
View Quote
I’m interested in your process.

I deprime, wet tumble, then stash my brass shortly after returning from a range trip (or at least when there’s enough brass to bother with).  There’s no reason it can’t sit on a shelf with lanolin on it, waiting for me to crank through a bunch of it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:25:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#40]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I’m interested in your process.

I deprime, wet tumble, then stash my brass shortly after returning from a range trip (or at least when there’s enough brass to bother with).  There’s no reason it can’t sit on a shelf with lanolin on it, waiting for me to crank through a bunch of it.
View Quote
I'll send you an IM so to keep this thread on topic.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Jeff, I got your PM.

I wanted to add to this discussion that I have used this cheap lube to protect tool steel tools in storage, and once I used it to lube a part of my LnL’s case feed system (the case feed shuttle’s shoulder bolt).

Lanolin is an organic wax that just happens to dissolve (or maybe “suspend”) in various types of alcohol.  This helps with application of the lanolin in hard to reach places, or places that need fairly even application of lanolin.  Every variation on “lanolin in alcohol” is simply that - a variation.  Most variations simply tweak proportions or change which type of alcohol is used, with results that essentially fine-tune (for that handloader) how much lanolin is applied and how quickly the alcohol evaporates.

One more thing: lanolin isn’t perishable.  Once it’s on a case, that case stays lubed until you remove it.  More than once, I’ve sprayed lube on a bunch of cases, and been distracted by something shiny called away before I could size them.  Days, and even weeks later, that brass is just as lubed as when the alcohol first evaporated.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 1:00:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#42]
wrong thread.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:20:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#43]
<removed>off topic post. dryflash3
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:41:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kvanderploeg] [#44]
I use a tab locking style cardboard box to spray into and distribute.  I think mine was actually from Geissele (Geissele all the things!) but it works great for this capacity.  Throw in the brass, give it a few sprays, close up the box and roll it all around.  Open it back up and give it a few side to side shakes and the many of the cases will orient upward so the case mouths are pointing upward.  Give a few more directed sprays into those case mouths, close up the box, and rotate a few more times.  And to Dryflash's point, just keep using the same box.  This is the general style of box I'm referring to:

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I use a short section of plastic rain gutter.  I dump the cases in the gutter and make sure they are lying on their sides (pistol cases don't need the mouth lubed) and spray lightly.  Then I hold the gutter

pieces at both ends and rock the cases back and forth to distribute the lube.  Occasionally I clean the gutter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I love cheap/diy stuff!!

Attachment Attached File

I put the whole tube (1.4oz) in 16oz of alcohol.
I warmed them both up in hot water that I microwaved in a bowl first.

The mix seems a bit “thick”. Makes the cases really slick though!!
I will grab another bottle of alcohol and add a few ounces to the mix and see how it works/feels.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Non stick cooking spray is by far the best case lube I've ever used.

A couple sprays into a gallon bag, smear it around in the bag and dump in your brass. Mix it for a few minutes and get to work. Never had a single stuck case or any issues.

Dump the resized brass in a towel and wipe it off when done. You can throw it in a dry tumbler for 20 minutes also.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 5:40:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IN-N-OUT] [#49]
If in the Pacific Northwest, Bi-mart and Fred Meyer have 99% isopropyl alcohol for under $2 for 16oz. Market of choice has 4oz bottles of "Home Health" Liquid Lanolin for $10, in the skin care section..
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#50]
And just like that, all the isopropyl alcohol is gone. Guess I’m going to have to break quarantine and go get some iso beet.....
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top