Author
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Posted: 9/28/2009 5:26:25 AM EST
I need to move up to a progressive reloader.

I have been reloading for about 6 months on the rock chucker (about 1500 rds.) in .45 acp. and I spend way too much time pulling that single stage handle lol.

I`m hoping to get some input on which is a better press the Dillon XL 650 or the Hornady Lock-n-load ap .

While i`m on a budget they are both in my price range and will wait and get the auto case feeder at a later time.

I will mostly be reloading .45 acp

Thanks for any info which can help me decide on which press is best for me.
SamW
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2009 5:27:55 AM EST
Well, the LnL AP has the 1,000 free bullets working in its favor.
wildearp
Simple solutions to complex problems...
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2009 5:50:27 AM EST
Dillon. I have one and reload several calibers from 9mm to .45-70 on my 650.
If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room!
Semper Fi, do or die!
NRA Life Member
SASS Life Member
COSteve
G20L - 10mm Goodness!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2009 6:00:53 AM EST
I own a 650 w/casefeeder and I recommend it highly. I moved up from a 550B and haven't looked back. Dillon's No BS warranty is legendary and should you decide to sell, their presses hold their value better than any other brand. That said, there are those here who love their LnL AP's just as much.

It seems to me that you should find a place where you can actually check them out in person, cycle the presses, and decide which one suits your needs the best. However, don't even consider not getting the casefeeders with your presses. Save up your $$ for a month or two more and get the casefeeder with whichever you decide on.
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai 1984
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert 2009
BADZ06
DHS says I'm a terrorist!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2009 6:25:12 AM EST
This is a pretty good read

I got the LNL with case feeder. I highly recommend it.
river_rat
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2009 7:30:54 AM EST
After seeing how a 650 works and owning the Hornady LNL AP I will not be changing to a Dillon anytime soon. The Hornady doesn't have issues with a missing case throwing things out of wack. No case no problem with the Hornady LNL. It just holds the primer until a case is there to take it instead of spitting it out. It is almost nearly impossible to explode primers like you can in a 650. Also the powder dispensing is case activated and with the removable metering stems you can preset stems for specific charges or get a micrometer stem. Virtually everything involved with caliber conversions is cheaper.
MlTCHELL
Ammo is my anti-drug... too broke to afford drugs.
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2009 7:41:06 AM EST
Hornady all the way. I had a Dillon 650XL, and sold it for my Hornady LnL AP. Greatest reloading decision I made. I wrote a review, but you can make up your mind for yourself. I wish I could have taken pictures of a side-by-side comparison.

The only disadvantage I see is I saw a bit more variance in the powder drop with the LnL if I went really fast or really slow, versus the Dillon was more consistent if I moved the arm really quickly or slowly. I might be the only one, but I shouldn't be varying my speed when I reload anyway.

Get this for $25 shipped. Then the powder drop will flare the case, as on the Dillon, so you save a stage.
"Assault weapons have gotten a lot of bad press lately, but they're manufactured for a reason. To take out today's modern super-animals, such as the flying squirrel or the electric eel."
-Lenny
MlTCHELL
Ammo is my anti-drug... too broke to afford drugs.
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2009 7:56:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2009 8:05:37 AM EST by MlTCHELL]
I highly recommend buying the electric case feeder, and part number HRN050124. The metering insert for the powder drop allows you to easily go back to the exact setting you had for the last caliber or load you were working on, and then you get a lot closer to what you were at before, without having to figure out all over again, testing the drop a dozen times and making adjustments.

Also, grab a bag of 10 bushings too... cheap and make your life way easier for multiple calibers.

Plus all the dies, and plates for each caliber you would want. Then you'll need to buy the case feeder plates for whatever calibers you want to reload.
"Assault weapons have gotten a lot of bad press lately, but they're manufactured for a reason. To take out today's modern super-animals, such as the flying squirrel or the electric eel."
-Lenny
hlh1
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2009 10:26:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By river_rat:
After seeing how a 650 works and owning the Hornady LNL AP I will not be changing to a Dillon anytime soon. The Hornady doesn't have issues with a missing case throwing things out of wack. No case no problem with the Hornady LNL. It just holds the primer until a case is there to take it instead of spitting it out. It is almost nearly impossible to explode primers like you can in a 650. Also the powder dispensing is case activated and with the removable metering stems you can preset stems for specific charges or get a micrometer stem. Virtually everything involved with caliber conversions is cheaper.

The same thing can be said for the Lee Pro 1000.
imtheflash
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 12:14:11 PM EST
I have a 20 year old Hornady Projector press, and love it and still use it. I recently bought the LNL press, and am awaiting the case feeder to show up soon. Hornadys customer service is as good as Dillons, I can also say the same for RCBS.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f'ing car!
Snakedocc
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 4:40:03 PM EST
Thanks for the info everyone

I was pretty much set on getting the 650 until reading the posts here and some other reseach.

I picked up a Lock-n-load AP today from cabela`s for 399.00.

Cabela`s also had a special going on if you spend 400.00 they give you a 100.00 gift card. And i`ll send in for the 1000 free bullets so I think I got a pretty good deal.

Now I just have to find a 45 shell plate.