Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2009 7:32:50 PM EDT
Is the nosler as good a product?  Is the savings worth it?  What are you using?  I am thinking of ordering some 69 gr HPBT and 168 gr HPBT
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot groups side by side with the 168 NoslerCC and SMK and could tell no difference.  They both shot great in my LR308 24".  Lately I have been shooting some NoslerCC 155 gr with good results also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have gotten great results with the Nosler 69gr CC over Tac, I think they were even cheaper than the Sierras and Hornadys when I bought them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My best loads are 69 gr. Noslers over Varget and IMR 4895 using a 20 in.  bushy predator and a 20 in. RRA SS varmint barrell both in 1 in 8 twist.
 Whats sorta strange is I can use the exact  combo for 77 gr. Nosler and 77 gr. SMKs.

23.5 of Varget or IMR 4895 with Win brass and Win. Small Rifle  ( WSR) primers .
 Always  start low and work up. (standard disclamer, but worth paying attention to).
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Love the 77gr CC, the 52 shoots very well, I like 40 and 55 gr BTs. I guess you could say I am a Nosler fan.

Keep an eye on Nosler's website and the Shooters pro shop for sales and good prices on seconds.

I picked up 35 boxes of 55 BTs (not seconds) for 13.50 a box with free shipping around Christmas
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot the Nosler 80s and 77s in my WOP 20" 1:6.5" upper with very good results.  Maybe not quite to the level as SMKs, but it was hard to tell.  Hornady 68s shot better than their 75s in that rifle.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Noslers have a  better reputation over here than SMKs or Hornady, for the most part. Many top shooters in Europe use either Berger, Nosler, Lapua or Sierra. So I'd say: "Get 'em, while they're cheap and supplies last!"
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
They are great bullets!  I have only shot the 22 and 30 cal offerings so far and the results are the same as SMK's.  I have to say that watching Nosler.com and their Pro Shop is great advice previously given.   I have shot a lot of seconds and hand nothing bu excellet CS and great shooting!
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
All three make good products, especially their BTHP.  Within a given weight range, they do vary (Hornady 68s ve Sierra 69s, Hornady 75s vs Sierra or Nosler 77s).

But if price and availability were equal, I'd take Sierra in a heartbeat, and without a second thought.  They seem to have an edge, both in consistency, and in designs that seem to work well across different rifles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Last summer, I did a pretty thorough comparrison of 77 SMK's vs 77Nosler's.  They both shot well, but the SMK's were slightly more precise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The bottom line with any match bullet is how it works in YOUR rifle. All of the quality bullets from 68 to 77 grains shoot really well in just about any rifle with the right twist barrel. For reasons unknown, sometimes a particular brand will shine in an individual's rifle. The only way you'll know is to try them. I like Nosler bullets because they are of very good quality and an exceptional value. I really can't tell them apart most of the time. Hornady, Nosler and Sierra all give me good groups, why wouldn't I like Nosler, they cost me the least.

Try then and see for yourself, I doubt they will dissapoint you. I've been shooting highpower tournaments for over twenty-five years and I say they're as good as any. The bullets available today are all top notch, when I first started you could only get Sierra's and heavy bullets (anything over 60 grains) had not been invented for .223.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I use the 55 grain Nosler CT Ballistic Slivertips with Varget and Benchmark in my 1:8 RRA.  These are boat tail type and  get a lot better groups than with Hornady V-Maxs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top