Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2009 7:26:26 AM EDT
I have a box of CCI 400 small rifle primers.  I know the #41's are preferred, but should I be concerned using these in my 223 rounds?  Is there a real risk of slam fires?
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
never had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
400's is all I've ever used.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
i switched from 41's to 400's recently and im much happier. the 41's were seating very hard and i actually broke my auto prime lever trying to seat them after about 600 rounds. the 400's go in nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#4]
they are a very good primer for the .223
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Same here!

Quoted:

400's is all I've ever used.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a box of CCI 400 small rifle primers.  I know the #41's are preferred, but should I be concerned using these in my 223 rounds?  Is there a real risk of slam fires?

I've had no problems.  I use both CCI 400 and CCI 450.  Speer #13 recommends both depending on powder used.

Even non-milspec CCI primers are quite a bit harder than other commercial primers.  Seat them properly and you shouldn't have an issue.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#7]
CCI/Speer Technical Services says:

The CCI 400 primer does have a thinner cup bottom than CCI 450, #41 or
BR4 primers.

The appropriate primer for an AR15 platform is the CCI #41 primer, which
helps to prevent slamfires. With this primer there is more 'distance'
between the tip of the anvil and the bottom of the cup.  

Linda Olin
CCI/Speer Technical Services
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501

You will have to decide for yourself on this one - but I would prefer to stick with the thicker cupped 450, BR4 or the mil-spec #41 myself if possible for a greater safety margin.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#8]
No problems with the 400's.  Developed my load for my AR with the 450's but ran real low in primers.  I was able to get some 400's and the group size is very similar.  Think 450's is a little more accuracte for my, but for 3 gunning, the 400's are more than good enough.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I think I will give the 400's a try.  I have them and 223 is the only rifle cartridge I am currently loading, so I was hoping to be able to use them.  I also have some remington 7 1/2's which I know are good for 223.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#10]
The Remington 7 1/2 BR primer is a better choice than the CCI 400.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

BR4 primers.

Linda Olin
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501

You will have to decide for yourself on this one - but I would prefer to stick with the thicker cupped 450, BR4 or the mil-spec #41 myself if possible for a greater safety margin.

I don't see a problem using 450s.  I also don't see the point in paying Speer's ridiculous prices for their arsenal primers, much like many of their other products.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BR4 primers.

Linda Olin
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501

WOW.......someone actually asked CCI.

That is impressive.

I wonder how CCI would have responded if they were asked?  

There aren't #41s (or #450) primers to be found.   So, can I use #400 primers to reload for .223 Rem/5.56?

I suspect that they may have given you the GREEN LIGHT.

That being said...........I've used CCI #400 (standard small primers) with .223 Rem/5.56 loads.

My SPEER manual uses them (CCI #400) along with #450 sm. mag primers.  The difference in the recommendations is mostly based on powder type (for that caliber).

The stuff about "slam fires"...............well, it's also appropriate to note that proper seating depth is important as well as the condition of your firearm, etc.........

CCI in their own website states (about the #41)............

*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

I suspect...........that CCI responded the way they did..........in order to PROMOTE if not to BUILD and CREATE demand.  Besides, there are customer loyalty issues at stake.

Aloha, Mark

PS..........remember when we didn't have "military spec" primers offered by CCI?  

Prior to that.......it must have been "slam fire city" at ranges all across the country. LOL.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
CCI 400 is all I use anymore for 223. They have not been a problem in my AR. You must decied for yourself.  
I will be trying Wolff's 223 SRP next time I see em on the shelf. I've heard they are also very good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#14]
No problems with CCI 400's.  Just make sure they are seated correctly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
CCI-400  &   Winchester small rifle  for about 22yr now.... use what is available...

You buy new loaded  .223 at store, do you see a warning on the box for "do not use in AR-15 due to slam fires"...  I have not.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Things have changed.  Since non-fflform6 reloaders cannot obtain #41 CCI's other than at robber baron prices, assuming some additional risk is justified.  Just don't be banging the end of the muzzle on the concrete or releasing the BCG catch on an empty mag. with one unfired in the chamber.  Then, there are the Russian Wolf SRM's and SRM556's, still to be had at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CCI 400 is all I use anymore for 223. They have not been a problem in my AR. You must decied for yourself.  
I will be trying Wolff's 223 SRP next time I see em on the shelf. I've heard they are also very good.

You want Wolf SRM , as in magnum primer. You will like them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Things have changed.  Since non-fflform6 reloaders cannot obtain #41 CCI's other than at robber baron prices, assuming some additional risk is justified.  Just don't be banging the end of the muzzle on the concrete or releasing the BCG catch on an empty mag. with one unfired in the chamber.  Then, there are the Russian Wolf SRM's and SRM556's, still to be had at reasonable prices.

Since I have some Wolf small rifle magnum primers that I just received. Should I be worried?
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I have some Wolf small rifle magnum primers that I just received. Should I be worried?

Nope...........this is an old post of mine........

quote:

Then, as for WOLF primers.

On the Widener's web site......Widener's says that WOLF sm mag rifle primers were to be used when re-loading 5.56 ammo.

WFSRM WOLF SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS (For use in 5.56 loads)$18.50/1000

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers have the same power as regular Wolf Small Rifle primers, but the cup is a little thicker and less sensitive.

*The price has changed.

What you do or choose is your decision to make. Be safe.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#20]
anyone ever notice indention marks from your primer seater rod while seating the cci 400's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top