BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 266
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By boman250:

Only place I found that had that bullet for sale was Maplewoodbullets.com. I have no idea how much they cost. Looks like a small operation.

http://www.thebulletworks.net/category-s/30.htm has a 158g double crimp groove bullet (at least the pic looks like it has one)

Good luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brazos_Jack:
Where can I buy .38 cal Lyman #358156 Thompson design cast bullets

I don't cast so I'm looking for a source where I can purchase #358156 SWC bullets.

I am looking for a SWC bullet with 2 crimp grooves so I can load it long in .38 spcl cases. They can be either the solid or hollow point version. Since they'll be shot at .38 spcl +P velocities, plain base is fine, but I would also buy gas checked if that was all that was available.

For those unfamiliar, the #358156 is probably the most popular bullet for .38/.357 among casters. It is a semi-wadcutter. It weighs "around" 158 grains in solid point form. It weighs 'about' 150 grains in hollow point form. It has been made in both plain base and gas checked form.

It has 2 crimp grooves. The front grooves allows loading to standard overall lengths in ,38 or .357 brass. The lower groove allows loading to .357 overall length in .38 brass. So its great for loading .38 +P or .38/.44 HV loads for use in .357 chambered guns or .38 guns built on heavy .357 frames.

Surely some commercial caster sells some variation of this classic bullet.

Only place I found that had that bullet for sale was Maplewoodbullets.com. I have no idea how much they cost. Looks like a small operation.

http://www.thebulletworks.net/category-s/30.htm has a 158g double crimp groove bullet (at least the pic looks like it has one)

Good luck.

Thanks. It looks like Maplewood Bullets has just what I need. I missed them on  the phone, so I dropped them an email. I plan to get some of both the standard and hollow point versions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:15:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warkittens] [#2]
For those who live in or are visiting East Tennessee, Smoky Mountain Knife Works is clearancing all of their reloading stock.
I just bought a few thousand CCI 200 LRPs $22.99/1000 and CCI 450 Magnum SRPs for $25.99/1000.
They had lots of CCI primers, large and small rifle and pistol as well as a few boxes of CCI Benchrest primers ($44/1000).
They also had some Hornady and RCBS die sets in various calibers. Powder selection was sparse.
Also, lots of new Blackhawk ammo cans on sale, both 30 and 50 caliber sizes. The 50s were $14.99, I didn't price the 30s.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Good luck.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brazos_Jack:
Where can I buy .38 cal Lyman #358156 Thompson design cast bullets

I don't cast so I'm looking for a source where I can purchase #358156 SWC bullets.

I am looking for a SWC bullet with 2 crimp grooves so I can load it long in .38 spcl cases. They can be either the solid or hollow point version. Since they'll be shot at .38 spcl +P velocities, plain base is fine, but I would also buy gas checked if that was all that was available.

For those unfamiliar, the #358156 is probably the most popular bullet for .38/.357 among casters. It is a semi-wadcutter. It weighs "around" 158 grains in solid point form. It weighs 'about' 150 grains in hollow point form. It has been made in both plain base and gas checked form.

It has 2 crimp grooves. The front grooves allows loading to standard overall lengths in ,38 or .357 brass. The lower groove allows loading to .357 overall length in .38 brass. So its great for loading .38 +P or .38/.44 HV loads for use in .357 chambered guns or .38 guns built on heavy .357 frames.

Surely some commercial caster sells some variation of this classic bullet.

Good luck.

Bulletworks is good to go. I've bought from.them in person in Van Buren.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Shooters Pro Shop has a 15% discount code:  "NRA16"

I was able to pick up 2000 Nosler Custom Competition 80gr .223 for 11 cents each.

If you are set up for their standard 10% military discount, you'll need to reregister and order using a second email address to get the 15% off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Gonzales, LA Cabelas has 8k S&B Large Rifle primers ($25/k) on the shelf...
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChevelleDave] [#7]
American Reloading has some 110gr black and brown tip .308 projectiles in stock with free shipping and 15% off. The black tip kinda look like pulled Barnes TAC-TX.

I dunno, got 500 inbound.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Gun Mag Warehouse has six packs of 30 round Hexmags for $49.99 - and with free shipping to boot.

That's $8.33 each shipped - not bad.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ChevelleDave:
American Reloading has some 110gr black and brown tip .308 projectiles in stock with free shipping and 15% off. The black tip kinda look like pulled Barnes TAC-TX.

View Quote

Almost as bad as Palmetto State Armory, huh?

They have grade 1 55gr M193 bullets for $63.49/k (on a 4k order)... 15% discount brings it to $54/k shipped.

When someone gets that WC844 let us know how it works. I could use a few jugs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Barnes tac tx 110 grain.  Pulled rounds.  Use bang15 for 15% off.   Shipped free

Works to be 59.00 for 250 rounds

https://www.americanreloading.com/en/30-caliber-rifle-bullets/855-308-110-grain-black-ballistic-tip-projectiles-250-ct.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

They have grade 1 55gr M193 bullets for $63.49/k (on a 4k order)... 15% discount brings it to $54/k shipped.

View All Quotes

Already have a few, GTG. Just like my H335 in the few test rounds I have made.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

any good place for WC844? Every place I see it, costs more than H-335, sorta defeats the purpose.

Sycamore
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't really look for it, but are you saying you can get an 8 pound jug of H335 somewhere else for cheaper?

I thought American Reloading was pretty good price on the WC 844.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Zilla Desert Blend (fine ground walnut) - PETCO IN-STORE Promotion

A 10 quart bag is 17.99 but if you buy one you get the 2nd bag at 50% off

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#15]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't really look for it, but are you saying you can get an 8 pound jug of H335 somewhere else for cheaper?

View Quote

Yes, $150 for 8lb from PV or MidSouth. Approx $650 for 32lbs with shipping and hazmat where the surplus is $680. I thought the people buying surplus at that price were just a little off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ImFarmerTed:

Yes, $150 for 8lb from PV or MidSouth. Approx $650 for 32lbs with shipping and hazmat where the surplus is $680. I thought the people buying surplus at that price were just a little off.
View All Quotes

Well, the surplus base cost is $680/32 lbs which includes shipping and hazmat. When you use a 15% discount code (available this weekend) that comes down to $578/32 lbs, which is about as cheap as I've seen it in 4 years. Having never bought surplus powder from AR, I'm holding off for now. Will wait for some braver souls to make that purchase. If it's still around in a month and Hillary wins, I'm probably going to get 32 lbs to tide me through another year or two.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#18]

RMR is pretty cheap. If you shoot 115 gr you can bid on some 9mm Plated 115 gr on GB that are being liquidated. Sizing is a little spotty ranging from .355 to .357, but really tough to beat $45-50/k shipped.

Example auction. I won two of these a few weeks back for $71 and $65.

I'm going to sort out some of the .357 diameter ones (~20%) and test fire alongside the .355 to see if they're suitable for medium power plinking loads with titegroup.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:
Who has the current best deal on either plated or coated bullets? I like to load 124's

I usually get RMR, but was looking for something cheaper.

RMR is pretty cheap. If you shoot 115 gr you can bid on some 9mm Plated 115 gr on GB that are being liquidated. Sizing is a little spotty ranging from .355 to .357, but really tough to beat $45-50/k shipped.

Example auction. I won two of these a few weeks back for $71 and $65.

I'm going to sort out some of the .357 diameter ones (~20%) and test fire alongside the .355 to see if they're suitable for medium power plinking loads with titegroup.

If any of you bid and won on those cheap plated 9mm on GB you might want to run them through a sizing die. On sorting I ran into a few .3575" and some .354". I'm resizing the 4k I bought to 0.356 and under through a Lee sizer for piece of mind then will test them. The weights look to fall between 114.5-115.5 gr. Looks like their sizing die is worn and that's why they're whole selling them. Still worth it in my book, if you can win the bid for less than $80/2000 (they charge like $25 shipping).
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Well, the surplus base cost is $680/32 lbs which includes shipping and hazmat. When you use a 15% discount code (available this weekend) that comes down to $578/32 lbs, which is about as cheap as I've seen it in 4 years. Having never bought surplus powder from AR, I'm holding off for now. Will wait for some braver souls to make that purchase. If it's still around in a month and Hillary wins, I'm probably going to get 32 lbs to tide me through another year or two.
View All Quotes

I have some I bought awhile back, don't remember what it was when I got it. But it shoots just like H335.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Tumbling/P5290107.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tumbling/P5290107.jpg</a>  

You really don't want the large pet store media that sticks in primer pockets. You want media that flows through the flashole.

Just search for 14-20 grit, it comes in 40 pound bags.

One place, http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Zero, MSC, ect.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Zilla Desert Blend (fine ground walnut) - PETCO IN-STORE Promotion

A 10 quart bag is 17.99 but if you buy one you get the 2nd bag at 50% off

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Tumbling/P5290107.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tumbling/P5290107.jpg</a>  

You really don't want the large pet store media that sticks in primer pockets. You want media that flows through the flashole.

Just search for 14-20 grit, it comes in 40 pound bags.

One place, http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Zero, MSC, ect.

The "fine" ground walnut at the pet store is something just a bit coarser than sand.  Seriously, it's fine, fine fine stuff - and pretty dusty.  The lower cost makes it easier to dump the stuff when it's more dust than grit.  I am still running the remains of an 8 (or was it 10) quart bag I got a long time ago.

"Lizard Litter" used to be pretty close to 20 grit, but they apparently decided it needed to be more sand-like...
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I have some I bought awhile back, don't remember what it was when I got it. But it shoots just like H335.
View Quote

The old advice about surplus powder being "variable," and that you need to test it before you load it is still accurate.  But I think that modern non-canister powders are pretty darn close to "standardized", given more advanced manufacturing techniques and better, finer controls on the actual production.  They used to have to do a lot of production in huge batches, then test the batch, and then adjust loadings to match the particular batch.  Today's manufacturing is much more continuous, so it can be both tested more continuously and adjusted as needed.

Still, if I start out with a container of non-canister powder, I'm going to develop my loads for THAT powder, not one "just like it."  If it turns out that the powder really IS "just like" another, great.  But I won't bet on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

The old advice about surplus powder being "variable," and that you need to test it before you load it is still accurate.  But I think that modern non-canister powders are pretty darn close to "standardized", given more advanced manufacturing techniques and better, finer controls on the actual production.  They used to have to do a lot of production in huge batches, then test the batch, and then adjust loadings to match the particular batch.  Today's manufacturing is much more continuous, so it can be both tested more continuously and adjusted as needed.

Still, if I start out with a container of non-canister powder, I'm going to develop my loads for THAT powder, not one "just like it."  If it turns out that the powder really IS "just like" another, great.  But I won't bet on it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I hear ya. I load 25.0gr of H335 for my blasting load. Made up some 23.5, 24.0, 24.5, 25.0 of the WC-844 and tested the first 2 8lb jugs I got. The other 2 jugs have yet to be tested, as the box they came in is still unopened.

I've learned enough around here, I never "read about" a load and go out and make it up and shoot it. Always work up!
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope everyone that reads these threads is as interested in self preservation as you are, Dave.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By delirious1:
Barnes tac tx 110 grain.  Pulled rounds.  Use bang15 for 15% off.   Shipped free

https://www.americanreloading.com/en/30-caliber-rifle-bullets/855-308-110-grain-black-ballistic-tip-projectiles-250-ct.html
View Quote

Is there a new voucher, bang15 didn't work for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By chenault:

View All Quotes

It was only last weekend.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I think they run a 15 or 20% promo every 3-4 weeks. Didn't they run a 25% one earlier this year? I noticed last 20% promo they jack the prices up on the M80 bullets 20% just before the promo. Up till then I was thinking of buying 1k.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, with AR, I just buy it if it's something I want. Price is what it is. Have a 20% off sale, and jack the prices 22%

I saw 250 pulled Barnes 110gr blacktip for a decent price, I bought them. I can probably use them to get close in load development, then use the new one's to finalize the load, and make up a run.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#28]
anyone have a good source for 45acp once fired?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By insidetheten:
View Quote

Tjconevera.com usually has it. Havent price shopped in a while. They are GTG though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

http://rangebrass.us/products/45-acp-bulk

$58.55 for 1500.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MarcusT:

$58.55 for 1500.
View All Quotes

$58.55 for 1500.

Thanks for the link, some pretty good prices there. I had no idea 5.7mm brass could be bought for $36/k... ($13 flat rate shipping too!)
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Thanks for the link, some pretty good prices there. I had no idea 5.7mm brass could be bought for $36/k... ($13 flat rate shipping too!)
View All Quotes

$58.55 for 1500.

there are some really good deals at that link.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#33]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

$58.55 for 1500.

Yeah, I'm pretty much set, but that 200 ct of 10mm mixed for $13 is tempting me. Too bad I'm long on 5.56mm/.308/9mm
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes, thanks for the link to RangeBrass. I ordered 1500 45acp. The other link was a little more, but 45 acp was all lg primer, and the pockets were reamed. A little more money, but also may be worth it when you factor in time. I will probably order from them as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GunsandCoffee71] [#35]
BLU-82 Brass has 7.62, once-fired brass on sale for less than 6 cents each shipped.

I had to check it twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

I put a big ass dent in their inventory, but there might be a little left if you hurry.

BLU 82 7.62 Brass
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

If you ordered these make sure you check them because I got 18 120gr bullets in my order.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoHk416] [#37]
Just got an email from Wideners with their daily specials-

They have .204 Speer 32 grain HP green TNT bullets $28.88 per 500.

I don't shoot .204, but I figured I'd share

Wideners

GunsandCoffee71- Thanks for the heads up on the 7.62 brass!! I ordered some.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#38]
Widener's

55 gr ballistic tips .224 $121/K Awesome bullet at a great price. Allready got 3K on the shelf, or I would be burning up the credit card.

TAC 8lb $155 and Sihoulette 4lb $66

CFE 8lb $155
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I need 45/70 brass. Is Starline my best option? Midway and Brownells have some in stock. Is there somewhere else I should look?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CKyleC:
I need 45/70 brass. Is Starline my best option? Midway and Brownells have some in stock. Is there somewhere else I should look?
View Quote

It was best option when I was looking last year. I got mine directly from Starline.

Midway and Brownells put both on sale once in a while. I just got a great deal on 454 casull two weeks ago from Midway. If not in a rush, put it in your wish list and keep an eye on price until you are ready.

$50 off $500 coupon posted today in Brownells Industry section...

Buy some brass and a box of Hornady 55gr bullets  http://www.brownells.com/reloading/bullets/rifle-bullets/bulk-rifle-bullets-prod55232.aspx

Use code K7P for $50 off all orders of $500+

Ends 10/16/2016 at 11:59 pm CDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

A year ago when I bought a 45-70, Starline was the best deal available. Looks to still be true.
Starline 45-70
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:26:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Pulled Barnes goodness.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone in the baton rouge or gonzales area, cabelas had 4lbs of H4350 on the shelf as of about 12pm. $29.99.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Cabela's sells in 50rd bags.  It was cheaper to buy from then midway.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyone have a discount code for Midsouth?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Did Midway cease their free shipping deal on Winchester primers?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Whats the scoop on bullets.com?  Are they g2g?  Have a bullet I want on sale....
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog] [#48]
RE:  bullets.com

I have not purchased from them, but from what I've hear they are good to go if they have what you want at a fair price.  They are owned by the same guy/family/group as Grizzly Industrial, from whom I have purchased many woodworking and metalworking tools.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By dgreet77:
Whats the scoop on bullets.com?  Are they g2g?  Have a bullet I want on sale....
View Quote

First purchase a month or so ago during an RCBS clearance event. No issues.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone have an American reloading 15 or 20 code
Page / 266
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top