Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2008 9:57:50 PM EDT
Hi guys,
I've had the Dillon's CV-2001 Vibratory Case Cleaner for about 3 weeks now. I've been running it pretty hard doing load after load of cases. I've changed the amount of media and the number of shells.

The trouble is, recently it got a lot louder. Sometimes, when I turn it on, I have to tip it over and give the motor a push start on the weight to get it moving. Is there something that I can do to repair this? Maybe the motor has some media dust on its brushes? I'm waiting on a response from Dillon. Due to the holidays they're not real responsive.

I'm sure Dillon will take care of it if there is a problem.

Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive got the same tumbler and have had it for about 3 months now and have not noticed it getting louder or having to help start the motor....and ive ran the piss out of mine since ive had it.  It was loud when I first got it and I realised I didnt have enough media in it.  Also noticed that if I put a few less cases in it that it seems to run alot better and quieter.  Not sure if that helps you or not but maybe something you can try, hopefully Dillon either fixes the problem or replaces your tumbler.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Bearings?  Or windings.  Shaded pole motors either work or they don't.

Contact Dillon.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Same thing happened with mine.  Then the motor went out a few weeks later.  Called Dillon and they had me send it in for a new motor.  They replaced it and shipped it back to me free of charge.   Got it back in a week and has been running ok for the past four months.  There has been talk about the motors having problems.  But I have to say Dillon’s Customer Serves is really good.  I would give them a call and tell them the problem they should treat you right and fix it for you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The same thing happened to my 500 model. They wanted $39.95 to fix it and I had to pay shipping to them too.

Next time the motor goes out I'll look for a replacement at Grainger's rather than pay that much for a cheap foreign made motor again.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
It's definitely a motor issue. No other reason I'd have to push the weight at the bottom to cycle the motor and get it running.

Did they pay for you to ship it to them, or is that something I'll end up eating?

How well does yours clean cases? If I get badly tarnished cases. They don't remove the tarnish very well. Maybe around the edges. I always have some sort of build up where the bullets seat into the neck. With the old primers removed, the media never really cleans out the primer pocket.

I end up having to leave the brass in for a day or so in Walnut, then switch to corn media for a final polish. Maybe I'm just finding really nasty range brass...
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The same thing happened to my 500 model. They wanted $39.95 to fix it and I had to pay shipping to them too.

Next time the motor goes out I'll look for a replacement at Grainger's rather than pay that much for a cheap foreign made motor again.

How old was your unit? If they expect me to pay for it, I'll flat out just return the damn thing and go elsewhere. Hell, I've only had it since the 10th.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How well does yours clean cases? If I get badly tarnished cases. They don't remove the tarnish very well. Maybe around the edges. I always have some sort of build up where the bullets seat into the neck. With the old primers removed, the media never really cleans out the primer pocket.

I end up having to leave the brass in for a day or so in Walnut, then switch to corn media for a final polish. Maybe I'm just finding really nasty range brass...

Hi,

I have the -500 and use crushed walnut.  I've also noticed persistent carbon deposits on .223 case necks after a few hours of tumbling.  If I run for 8 hours with walnut + NuFinish car polish, the cases are squeaky clean and shiny.  I've read other posts suggesting corn cob shines better than walnut.  That hasn't been my experience.  Depriming before tumbling may help clean the pockets a bit, but it isn't going to obviate the need for a primer pocket brush if you really want all of the residue out.  In general, you shouldn't have to run your cases for over a day and through 2 different media, but running more than a couple hours certainly might be necessary.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 4:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
As much as I like Dillon stuff, I never heard of a Thumler's Tumbler Ultra-vibe having motor problems.

Dillon came out with a new tumbler this month or last, wonder if it's more robust http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23659/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_CV_750_Vibratory_Case_Cleaner

Has a sealed DC motor
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi guys,
I've had the Dillon's CV-2001 Vibratory Case Cleaner for about 3 weeks now. I've been running it pretty hard doing load after load of cases. I've changed the amount of media and the number of shells.

The trouble is, recently it got a lot louder. Sometimes, when I turn it on, I have to tip it over and give the motor a push start on the weight to get it moving. Is there something that I can do to repair this? Maybe the motor has some media dust on its brushes? I'm waiting on a response from Dillon. Due to the holidays they're not real responsive.

I'm sure Dillon will take care of it if there is a problem.

Thanks,
Steve

Exact problem with one of my Dillon tumblers a year or so ago. I paid shipping to them and they replaced motor and shipped it back no questions asked.

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old was your unit? If they expect me to pay for it, I'll flat out just return the damn thing and go elsewhere. Hell, I've only had it since the 10th.

Mine was a couple of years old. I think anything electric is only warranted a year, so they should cover yours.

I made the mistake of calling Dillon about the problem first instead of posting about here.

I asked the Dillon Rep how much for a motor (since it would be easy enough for me to replace). He said $80 !!!!!   But he said he could get me a deal since for only $39.95 they would do a service on the unit and fix anything that was wrong.

I still like the rest of the Dillon fine, it's just the cheap motors they use these days and the crazy prices they want for them that irks me.

I've since read here in another thread about dead motors about how they went to a smaller poorer quality motor a few year back and that a replacement only runs about $10 at Grainger's.

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had mine a few months an ran it hard off and on at times cleaning 50 bmg brass, right now got all brass cleaned. On mine only thing I noticed was when it stops I hear a bearing winning noise that just started two cleanings back. Its not loud and only hear it when motor is sjutting down right beforem it stops. I don't know if thats even something to complain about.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I had to pay shipping to Dillon, but they paid for the return shipping.  If you just got it they should fix it for you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As much as I like Dillon stuff, I never heard of a Thumler's Tumbler Ultra-vibe having motor problems.

Dillon came out with a new tumbler this month or last, wonder if it's more robust http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23659/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_CV_750_Vibratory_Case_Cleaner

Has a sealed DC motor

The CV-750 uses a sealed DC motor, running on rectifed AC current.  It's the same heavy duty motor that's in the CV-2001 Case Cleaner.

I have replaced the motor on the old CV-500, Grainger price is about $40.00.

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I think Dillon only warrants electrical stuff for 1 year?  Well, my small Dillon has been going strong for about 10yrs, knock on wood!  I have Thumblers Model B that I do not use as much, but that is 20 years old and it has gone thru a few belts, but hey no big deal!
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe I bought my FL-2000 in the late 80s, it is still running strong and I use it a lot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
That 750 looks like just a smaller unit.

I should find out something today. When they sent the media separator, they forgot 4 of the 6 nuts to hold the brackets to the bucket also.

It's still screaming in the garage. I can hear the bearings distinctively now.

I wish it had the ability to operate wet. I've thought about putting another container on it or in it that is sealed so I can clean up some really nasty cases that I found in the desert.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#17]
My understanding is the old 500 model used the same motor as the 2001. Then they changed it to an el cheapo motor and there was a rush to buy old 500 models off of ebay.

Now it looks like they are going back to the 2001 motor but are calling the 500 the 750 now.

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Whelp, tumbler gave up the ghost today. Pretty much seized up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally was able to read your e-mail. We will be e-mailing a Return authorization to you,
and issuing a call tag to get your defective case cleaner picked up. We are getting several hundred emails a day, and it takes us a bit to get to them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Finally was able to read your e-mail. We will be e-mailing a Return authorization to you,
and issuing a call tag to get your defective case cleaner picked up. We are getting several hundred emails a day, and it takes us a bit to get to them.

Wow. Great service.
I figured you guys were swamped for the holidays.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#21]
The old 500 did use the same motor as the larger unit, and they did go to a smaller motor. The new 750 looks very much like my old 500,
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a big one that has done over 150,000 pieces of brass and it still runs .
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
FedEx came and picked up the tumbler today (12/4/2008). We'll see how long it takes to get back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top