Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 3/31/2016 1:10:52 PM EDT
CDNN is selling various models for under $300, and I already own a 22 suppressor. How difficult would it be to mount on one of these?
Or, even cooler, has anyone form 1-ed an SD model?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a SD model but it is a SBR with a threaded barrel, suppressor not shown.

Note: I have to use subsonic ammo as HV goes supersonic.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Going through the Form1 process on my GSG5.

Here's what I think I'm doing  ():  SBR the rifle, buy a 9"  GSG5P (pistol length) barrel you can swap out yourself, and then add the adapter(s) below, total runs < $150 for parts and $200 for the stamp. DO NOT get the GSG5PK barrel, that's only 4.5" and won't work.  

This Promag adapter and the ATI adapter do the trick, though the Promag appears discontinued, and I've read they don't really do a good job of keeping the barrel and threads concentric.  Opportunity for baffle strikes goes up as a result.

Other option is to thread the barrel itself, but I've also read the barrels aren't thick enough to support the kind of threads needed for a direct thread can.

Not at ALL sure how I'd suppress a non-SBR version.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy GSG pistol

Replace flash hider with SureFire Gemtech threaded adaptor

Shoot suppressed

File Form 1

Add stock

Profit?

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Just waiting on the P barrel for my SBR conversion now. I would have rather bought the pistol, but it is considered a "Saturday night special" in MN because of the receiver melting point and I had to buy the rifle version.

I'm waiting on a swarfworks adapter but have not heard anything from him after I placed my order a few days ago.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The barrel profile is too small to thread.  So the only way I know is to get the ATI suppressor adapter (or similar product) and put it on a pistol or SBR build
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I don't think those are being sold anymore.  I think I checked when I was building mine
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't think those are being sold anymore.  I think I checked when I was building mine
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ATI says they have more on order from GSG, but it appears everything else is out of production.  I'd like one also so right now I'm hoping ATI/GSG come through!
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
ATI will get the super cool 3 lug adapters?  Or more of the ATI straight thread adapter ones?

Is it GSG that makes the 3 lug adapters?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ATI will get the super cool 3 lug adapters?  Or more of the ATI straight thread adapter ones?

View Quote

AFAIK, ATI/GSG only have the straight thread ones.  Not sure what the 3-lug buys one besides cosmetics since all the rimfire cans I know of are direct-thread not 3-lug....
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Gemtech used to make 3 lug adapters. I have one on my GSG. Looks cool. End is threaded 1/2X28.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
well it would be a muzzle device that looks correct AND is functional.  Right now I use a copy of the Hk flash suppressor when I'm not suppressed, and use the ATI when I am.

Let's be honest, half the reason to buy a GSG-5 is the cosmetics.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
well it would be a muzzle device that looks correct AND is functional.  Right now I use a copy of the Hk flash suppressor when I'm not suppressed, and use the ATI when I am.

View Quote

Oh agreed - maybe more like 90%  I was assuming the can would be on 99% of the time, if you're swapping then I completely understand.  Either way, I agree that all else being equal I'd take the cosmetically "correct" one too!
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh agreed - maybe more like 90%  I was assuming the can would be on 99% of the time, if you're swapping then I completely understand.  Either way, I agree that all else being equal I'd take the cosmetically "correct" one too!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, 90% is probably closer to the truth.

I only have 1 .22 can, so my kids need to share it
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#18]
What is the thread size that screws into the triple tree on the gsg pistol with 9" barrel? I've searched but I'm getting conflicting info.
I was thinking about making an adapter that would thread into the tree and the other end would be threaded to fit a Maglite or SD tactical tube. It would basically be a D or C tube end cap with a threaded nipple coming off the end. ]==
I think it would be more sturdy and look a lot cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ATI says they have more on order from GSG, but it appears everything else is out of production.  I'd like one also so right now I'm hoping ATI/GSG come through!
View Quote

Despite several indications that the ProMag PM224 is out of production, I was able to order (and receive) one direct from ProMag:
https://promagindustries.com/online-only/360-gsg-5p-28-tpi-thread-adaptor.html

Several disclaimers: I've not had a chance to try test-fitting it, the price was $55+S/H, and the finish on the photo sample seems VERY representative - mine looks a lot like that with some seeming wear marks and a generally uneven appearance.  I'm not terribly concerned, but since we've agreed this is a piece with a high degree of its value tied up in cosmetics I felt it's worth highlighting some cosmetic deficiencies... YMMV and all that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Despite several indications that the ProMag PM224 is out of production, I was able to order (and receive) one direct from ProMag:

https://promagindustries.com/3512-thickbox_default/gsg-5p-28-tpi-thread-adaptor.jpg

Several disclaimers: I've not had a chance to try test-fitting it, the price was $55+S/H, and the finish on the photo sample seems VERY representative - mine looks a lot like that with some seeming wear marks and a generally uneven appearance.  I'm not terribly concerned, but since we've agreed this is a piece with a high degree of its value tied up in cosmetics I felt it's worth highlighting some cosmetic deficiencies... YMMV and all that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://promagindustries.com/3512-thickbox_default/gsg-5p-28-tpi-thread-adaptor.jpg

I take it that this adapter fits over the barrel?

If so, how far into the adapter does the barrel go?  That is, is there a shoulder inside the adapter for the muzzle to rest against?

Can you post a picture with good lighting showing the inside of the adapter from the back?

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, as do (AFAIK) all the adapters for the GSG5/522 series guns - they slip over the barrel and thread into the triplet.

Quoted:
If so, how far into the adapter does the barrel go?  That is, is there a shoulder inside the adapter for the muzzle to rest against?

Yes there's a shoulder, I don't know yet if the muzzle will contact it or not.  

Quoted:
Can you post a picture with good lighting showing the inside of the adapter from the back?

Someday perhaps, but don't hold your breath waiting on me and pictures!  
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back when you test fit. I'm interested.  There have been a lot of bad reviews on it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Try gsgpro.com
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Try gsgpro.com
View Quote

I only see for the GSG 1911 - I believe OP was referring to the GSG-5/522 models.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Report back when you test fit. I'm interested.  There have been a lot of bad reviews on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that didn't take long - wouldn't screw all the way onto the triplet, stopped 3-4mm short of the shoulder.  Checked inside the adapter and yep, muzzle still a few mm short of that shoulder also, so no reason I could see for it stopping.  Very quick phone call with Pro-Mag and it's on the way back to them for an exchange.  

I have to be honest, I'm not expecting the replacement will be different  Sure hoping I'm wrong on that...
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Keep us up to date on how it turns out.  I for one am VERY interested.

ka
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, that didn't take long - wouldn't screw all the way onto the triplet, stopped 3-4mm short of the shoulder.  Checked inside the adapter and yep, muzzle still a few mm short of that shoulder also, so no reason I could see for it stopping.  Very quick phone call with Pro-Mag and it's on the way back to them for an exchange.  

I have to be honest, I'm not expecting the replacement will be different  Sure hoping I'm wrong on that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I'm happy to be wrong!  The replacement screws on much more smoothly!  Cosmetics aren't much better as far as finish goes, but acceptable.  It looks like they might have chased the threads on this one before shipping - hell, for that matter it might be the one I returned with the threads cleaned up.  Before I tried it on the gun, I test fit this one on a triplet from a spare GSG-522 to GSG-5 conversion kit.  Definitely threaded on much more easily - BUT it still stops short of the shoulder (maybe 2mm now).  This is perhaps 1 to 1 1/2 turns further on than the previous one, so not much, but enough to make all the difference.  Comparing threading the adapter onto the bare triplet to threading it onto the pistol, I can feel it snug up against the muzzle instead of stopping short as the old one did or bottoming out the threads as it does with no barrel in place.

Good turnaround by Pro-Mag - somewhat disappointing that I had to pay to ship it back to them, but so far so good.  Definitely be aware that the adapter will not be flush with the triplet face, and that looking inside you should see the muzzle run up to the internal shoulder and snug up there, but with those Be-On-Look-Outs I think it could be fine.  I still need to put a can on and see if I can check the concentricity, but fingers are crossed right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ok, I'm happy to be wrong!  The replacement screws on much more smoothly!  Cosmetics aren't much better as far as finish goes, but acceptable.  It looks like they might have chased the threads on this one before shipping - hell, for that matter it might be the one I returned with the threads cleaned up.  Before I tried it on the gun, I test fit this one on a triplet from a spare GSG-522 to GSG-5 conversion kit.  Definitely threaded on much more easily - BUT it still stops short of the shoulder (maybe 2mm now).  This is perhaps 1 to 1 1/2 turns further on than the previous one, so not much, but enough to make all the difference.  Comparing threading the adapter onto the bare triplet to threading it onto the pistol, I can feel it snug up against the muzzle instead of stopping short as the old one did or bottoming out the threads as it does with no barrel in place.

Good turnaround by Pro-Mag - somewhat disappointing that I had to pay to ship it back to them, but so far so good.  Definitely be aware that the adapter will not be flush with the triplet face, and that looking inside you should see the muzzle run up to the internal shoulder and snug up there, but with those Be-On-Look-Outs I think it could be fine.  I still need to put a can on and see if I can check the concentricity, but fingers are crossed right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear.  Could you put a washer or an o-ring on there to fill the gap?

Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I know, "Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!"

Swarfworks GSG-5P Thread Adapter

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think he is out of business. I have had emails and calls to him and have never heard back.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think he is out of business. I have had emails and calls to him and have never heard back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto - you'd need to resurrect SwarfWorks for that to be useful
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, crap.  Didn't know that, and since I didn't place an order, didn't know it wasn't a live company.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, crap.  Didn't know that, and since I didn't place an order, didn't know it wasn't a live company.
View Quote

No worries, I think we've all been down that path.  I'm surprised folks keep live websites for defunct companies, but maybe there was a large upfront payment of some sort!
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top