Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2015 12:34:57 PM EDT
I have a newer generation (based on the "T" mount front sight in Jackal's pics) GSG-522, and I'm looking for an inexpensive picatinny rail to mount on it.  This is a plinking gun for my nephew, I'm not spending $100+ on a rail to mount a $50 dot on it if I can avoid it.  I understand I'm going to get soft metal and questionable quality, but I want something that generally fits.

I tried a cheap rail off Amazon, and it was a 20mm rail, not a Picatinny spec, so although it fit the gun well enough, the red dot did not tighten up on the rail.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNSOUMA

Are any of the $20-$40 rails out there worthwhile?  I'm hoping an inexpensive "good enough" solution.  I understand it's not going to compare to the SPUHR mounts on my long-range rifles.

-Scott
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought all the 522s had a Picatinny rail on top instead of the rounded "classic" top?  I know I swapped out a rail when I used my 522->5 kit.  Are you the original owner?  (I.e. did a previous owner do the same 522->5 conversion already)

The cleanest approach might be to use a 522 top rail if you're missing yours.

Post a picture?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Pardon my mistake.  It must be a GSG-5.  It certainly does not have an integral rail.  Thanks for pointing this out - Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pardon my mistake.  It must be a GSG-5.  It certainly does not have an integral rail.  Thanks for pointing this out - Sorry for the confusion.
View Quote

I would imagine you could replace the top section with a 522 top section if you wanted to avoid the clamp-on.  Hell, I was thinking of getting another 522 and kit while they still exist - if you were closer I'd swap ya rifles!  (I much prefer the GSG-5 to the GSG-522.)

The GSG-5 should be labelled GSG-5 (not GSG-522), have a sling clip on the LHS of the magwell, and would have the smooth not textured handgrip, open not circle front-sight, more stuff I'm not thinking of....
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check with hotgunparts.com and rrages.com, they have been awesome supporters of GSG accessories for years and are also really good guys.
View Quote

I've done business with Rrages several times over the years and he's always been great to deal with.  Got in a stock set which I just didn't care for, and didn't quite fit my particular gun quite right - he took it back no questions.  Great guy.

$24 + S/H:
http://rrages.com/mount/mdmp5/index.htm
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you to everyone who replied.

I purchased the NC Star version and it worked well enough.

The rail section is in spec (or at least close enough that the Vortex SPARC II I'm trying to mount will tighten up).  That was my issue with the last version I tried.

I'm not a huge fan of how the NC Star version clamps to the receiver.  It clamps inward, rather than upward.  I can't imagine this is as secure, and I don't like that it clamps onto a sheetmetal receiver.  I hope there are not cycling issues, but I won't get to shoot it for a few more days.

Honestly, if the first one had an in-spec rail, it would be my first choice (among the very cheap ones I tested), but in this case, the NC Star version is probably going to work for me.

-Scott
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top