Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 2/19/2015 10:36:45 PM EDT
so my barrel from the 522SD looks like this:

notice the black barrel support block. the handguard pin screws directly into it. it is also the same piece as the breech/feeding ramp.

then i found a pic in another thread from a GSG-5:

which matches the ATI exploded view drawing:

is my barrel specific to the SD model?

a new ATI barrel doesn't properly fit because the barrel is not supported by the frame:

what the heck is going on here?
what kind of barrel do i have?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting ... what date code is on yours? And/or what date is marked on the box if you have it?

It's possible there was a design change and you have an improved version...

Also try PMing ATICSR_Christopher if he doesn't chime in anyway.

Richard
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]
date code on the firearm is BC, which i believe is 2012. i purchased it in 2012 as well.

i emailed jennifer hayes @ ATI couple days ago (2/18). previously she had responded back within minutes; have not received a response yet.
maybe i should have emailed Techservice instead.

stay tuned.

EDIT> tech service phone # (x726) went to jen's VM. she may be a do it all front person.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
date code on the firearm is BC, which i believe is 2012
View Quote

Agreed - mine is non-SD model and BB code (2011) but I believe it has the separate bolt and nut like your pictures.  I would have expected to hear before this if there had been a manufacturing change in 2012!

Curiouser and curiouser... please do let us know what you find out!

Richard
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
so, mystery solved.

i have the lite weight (LW) version of the SD. they have the different barrel.
LW barrels are only 16"
standard barrels can be either 16" or 9"

which means, 9" barrels won't fit the lite weight models and the only option to SBR a LW model is to cut/recrown the barrel.

EDIT> there is a LW pistol with a 9" barrel (GERG522PLB10).
stay tuned.
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top