Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright, 218 rounds fired today.  Zero FTF or FTE malfunctions.  I did drop the mag once by accident while holding onto the magwell firing.  I dont have a youtube account so no hq videos, just one of a 20 round mag dump and trying to figure out how to hold it without dropping the mag.  If photobucket is working:

MP40 video

Everything inside looks fine, only odd wear is where the ejector was hitting the bolt.  The bolt has some movement and will hit the ejector if pushed to one side.  I cleaned the bolt up a little with a stone where it was getting peened a little, don't think it will be a major issue but something to keep an eye on.  The plastic buffer looks hardly even touched.

Pics of bolt/ejector hitting:

Some misc internal pics after 200 rounds +

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for two posts, 2000 character limit..

Also the rear sight fell off (found it luckily), one tiny allen screw holds it and it fits very loose in the slot.  I did tighten and mark it when I sighted it in, it loosened up again after 70 or so - something to keep an eye on.  Should really have a couple bigger set screws or a tighter fit, I'll probably just use some green locktite to fill the gaps.  Once the the rear is adjusted it isnt something that should ever need to be moved.  I had to switch to the one bump (shortest) front sight to get the elevation close at 25-50 yards.  Sights arent precision enough to even try at 100 but I'm sure flipping up the second aperture would get it close at 100.

Nothing else loosened up, no real wear except for the finish in a few spots where the bolt rides.  I shot four different kinds of 9mm FMJ ball, 124gr lawman, 124gr independance, 115gr remington, 115gr PMC brinze and 18 rounds of PMC aluminum cased 115gr.  You could feel the difference with the 124gr stuff, little more kick and threw the brass further.  Bolt hold open worked every time and not one hiccup at all.

Really fun to shoot but not easy to hit anything standing past 15 yards or so lol, this thing is heavy  Using a sling for support helps but a buttstock would be nice if you want to hit something.  I dont think I'd spend the money to SBR it since its more of a shootable display piece but to some it may be worth it.  Thats it for now, probably wont shoot it again for a while, it will mainly be a display piece.  And YES I have a WWII repro sling on the way :)
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know of video will show, worth a shot. Thanks for the info man, looks nice!

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I just watched a video taken today at Shot 2017, and the guy shooting also had the same issue with the magazine dropping out
This issue needs to be addressed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just watched a video taken today at Shot 2017, and the guy shooting also had the same issue with the magazine dropping out
This issue needs to be addressed.
View Quote

Its not an issue with the gun, its an issue with the operator :)  The mag release is in the same place and size/shape on a real MP40.  It is possible the original doesnt stick out as far.  What happens is I wanted to put my LH thumb over the receiver with my fingers in front of the magwell.  If you hold it that way the palm of your hand will hit the large mag release button every time.  

If you grab the magwell like a vertical grip or hold it underneath by the plastic like its made there is no problem at all.  I only shot 50 rounds and first time I dropped the magazine within the first five rounds, after holding it properly I had no problems.  My son fired the other 168 rounds and never came close to hitting the mag release after he seen how not to hold it.  I guess its possible a real MP40's mag release is more recessed and harder to push, I dont have one so I dont know, just going by what I see in pictures.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps' a stronger magazine catch spring would prevent this from happening? And maybe slightly more recessed. It's been years since I've fired a genuine MP40, but I didn't have any issues bumping the catch. Neat guns.
It will be something I'll look into when I get mine. Thanks for your review BTW!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Perhaps' a stronger magazine catch spring would prevent this from happening? And maybe slightly more recessed. It's been years since I've fired a genuine MP40, but I didn't have any issues bumping the catch. Neat guns.
It will be something I'll look into when I get mine. Thanks for your review BTW!
View Quote

Yea.

After watching a few videos of people firing real MP40s some were holding it the same way I was that will easily drop the mag and no one seemed to be having a problem.  Hickock has a video that the camera pans over the side of the gun close and it looks like the mag release button does not stick out as far.

Like I said, never handled a real one myself.  The mag release spring is not really strong on this.  Most likely its a combination of stronger spring, button that protrudes a little less and more engagement of the mag itself on a real one that keeps it in place better.  Its not the recoil that does it, just a tight grip the wrong way.  If it was a PDW I'd be a lot more critical of it, of course the way I instinctively held it the first time was the perfect way to drop the mag by accident.  It was almost empty and it didnt drop free, I felt the catch let go and grabbed the mag before it dropped all the way.  The mags are pretty thin steel and dropping a full one from a standing position on concrete would probably leave a mark.

One thing I didnt mention before, the trigger takeup/reset on this is huge.  Like half an inch.  Takes a little getting used to.  Maybe they did it to slow down semi auto fire rate or a bumpfire countermeasure.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
According to ATI, the magazine capacity is 25, not 30. I thought they were shipping with 30's as well, but I guess not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey KP49, thanks for the write up of your shooting experience with your MP40 9mm!

I have sent this info to management and the Germans.  Everyone is at Shot Show right now, including the Germans, so they can all review it together face to face.

Anyone of the rest of you out there in GSG land who got one of the first 100 in the US, please feel free to post any and all feedback on here so I can pass it along.

Next batch, more than 100 this time, will be arriving in March!
View Quote

No problem, lot of interest in the MP40 from people at the range.  When people started seeing 9mm brass flying out of it a lot of people thought it was real so there was a bit of a crowd checking it out.  Had to move to another range to take a quick video.  

25 is a good number on the mag, really have to jam the 27th round in there so I would just call it 25.  Not that big of a deal, one box of ammo = 2 full mags works out I guess :)

There was no manual in the crate, not that I really needed one, just looked at the .22 version online and except for a different takedown pin arrangement with the c-clip.

I like it overall, hope it sells well for you guys.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Man I want to want the 9mm bad.  Especially for $650.00.  ATI would do good to torture test one of the 9mms to really gauge how reliable it is.  A 9mm airsoft gun doesn't sound too reliable especially after all the teething problems of the GSG-5.  This is coming from a happy GSG-5 owner that can acknowledge that it is a .22lr airsoft gun.  

But damn.....this is the only way a lot of us could ever get a MP40.  I've seen less than 20 MP40 parts kits in as many years and those get bought by people that either have tubes that were registered for builds or MP40 owners that want to save their matching parts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I am dissapointed that the pistol doesn't have the stock welded shut.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:02:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Man I want to want the 9mm bad.  Especially for $650.00.  ATI would do good to torture test one of the 9mms to really gauge how reliable it is.  A 9mm airsoft gun doesn't sound too reliable especially after all the teething problems of the GSG-5.  This is coming from a happy GSG-5 owner that can acknowledge that it is a .22lr airsoft gun.  

But damn.....this is the only way a lot of us could ever get a MP40.  I've seen less than 20 MP40 parts kits in as many years and those get bought by people that either have tubes that were registered for builds or MP40 owners that want to save their matching parts.
View Quote

I put another 100 rounds of 115gr UMC bulk through mine, 318 total now.  And I'm not seeing any abnormal wear.  The bolt and other high wear parts are machined steel, not cast potmetal.  Airsoft is a bit of a stretch, it disassembles with one pin, no screws to strip.  Granted the upper/lower receiver are castings but the upper receiver where the bolt rides is showing no wear at all.  The finish is pretty tough.  Its not a Colt 1911 or a M1 Garand but it doesnt look like junk inside either, it appears they beefed up what needed to be beefed up for 9mm.

Someone mentioned above ATI had an MP40 people were firing at SHOT, wonder how many rounds were put through it.  I cant help blasting 25 rounds in a few seconds every time I point it downrange.  I'm sure the people at the show did the same.

I have no idea how long it will last, I doubt this one will see more than a couple hundred rounds a year now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys,

GSG is reading this right now. I'm the one who worked on the MP40, so maybe direct contact won't be wrong. Already got the forwarded mails from Vegas. :)
Hope I can answer your questions few times a week. And hope I won't get trouble for writing here, not sure if I am allowed to

Small answer to KP49's issues:

The mag release button is the same as on the .22 and on the 9mm blank version. There is the possibility of changing the spring and reduce protrusion of the mag button.
And yes, the kind of grip when you will push the button with your thumb base (don't know how its really called) will release the mag anyway, especially when its loaded and heavy.
The loosened sight will be changed, there is a solution which must be accepted from above.

The trigger reset is so huge due to the general construction taken over from the .22 version, however, bump firing is something we do not use here.

The mag capacity was reduced by me from first 27 (maximum what mag accepts wihtout change of follower and bottom plate) to 25 for easy counting of used mags / made shots (1 box = 2 mags, right!) during testing, and we left it this way. And 25 is a little bit more reliable than 27, especially on the first rounds. Insertion of the magazine with closed bolt is also a bit easier then with 27.

The scratching ejector is a tolerance issue - we will fix that too.

We tested the last prototype with more than 6500 rounds, mostly 124grs FMJ, but also a wide spread of different bullets and cases, and did our best to minimize FTF, FTE and others. I stopped the test then, there was reability reached far better then 1 per Cent and there was no need to burn more rounds for nuttin, cause it went "bang bang bang" all the time.

Hope you guys like the MP40 and enjoy shooting!

Best regards,
E
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for responding here E,

I'm going to take mine out and fire it a little more today, my kids love the thing.  So far with 300 rounds its been perfect as far as FTF or FTE.  The ejector touching the bolt isnt that big of a deal, its not getting beat up too bad, I dont think it will affect anything long-term.  I tightened the rear sight as much as I could and it stayed tight the last 100 rounds, I'm just afraid to strip the allen screw.  I'm sure it stays tight with the .22lr version.

Now that I watch my grip there are no mag drop issues, my kids can hold it the same way and never drop the mag, but the mag release is right under the base of the thumb (Thenar is the medical term) so I cant hold it that way.  I dont think anything would fix it for me unless the release was moved somewhere else, I just cant hold it that way.

When will a spare mag be available in the US?  Be nice to have one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

GSG is reading this right now. I'm the one who worked on the MP40, so maybe direct contact won't be wrong. Already got the forwarded mails from Vegas. :)
Hope I can answer your questions few times a week. And hope I won't get trouble for writing here, not sure if I am allowed to

Small answer to KP49's issues:

The mag release button is the same as on the .22 and on the 9mm blank version. There is the possibility of changing the spring and reduce protrusion of the mag button.
And yes, the kind of grip when you will push the button with your thumb base (don't know how its really called) will release the mag anyway, especially when its loaded and heavy.
The loosened sight will be changed, there is a solution which must be accepted from above.

The trigger reset is so huge due to the general construction taken over from the .22 version, however, bump firing is something we do not use here.

The mag capacity was reduced by me from first 27 (maximum what mag accepts wihtout change of follower and bottom plate) to 25 for easy counting of used mags / made shots (1 box = 2 mags, right!) during testing, and we left it this way. And 25 is a little bit more reliable than 27, especially on the first rounds. Insertion of the magazine with closed bolt is also a bit easier then with 27.

The scratching ejector is a tolerance issue - we will fix that too.

We tested the last prototype with more than 6500 rounds, mostly 124grs FMJ, but also a wide spread of different bullets and cases, and did our best to minimize FTF, FTE and others. I stopped the test then, there was reability reached far better then 1 per Cent and there was no need to burn more rounds for nuttin, cause it went "bang bang bang" all the time.

Hope you guys like the MP40 and enjoy shooting!

Best regards,
E
View Quote

Thank you for sharing that.  You've got my attention and likely money.  Did you guys have a chance to run any of the cheaper 115 grs bulk brass like WWW or UMC?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thank you for sharing that.  You've got my attention and likely money.  Did you guys have a chance to run any of the cheaper 115 grs bulk brass like WWW or UMC?

Thanks
View Quote

FWIW I have been shooting UMC 115gr the last two times out.  Used up a 250rd box of UMC today (150 today, 100 yesterday) with no failures.  100 rounds of remington 115 bulk as well the first time out and a few rounds of old 115gr PMC aluminum cased too.

So far I'm at 468 rounds with no failures to feed or eject and 75% of that is rapid fire.  Thats pretty impressive for any new 9mm firearm.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]
The spare mags will be available soon, hope they will arrive with the next delivery to ATI, but as a technician I have no idea about shipping and trading, sorry.

The ammo we tried was from 115 grains up to 147 subsonic loads, Blazer aluminium cases, Barnaul steel cases, Remington, Hornady, Federal, Magtech, Geco, and all the stuff available here, nearly 20 kinds or something.
Different bullets from FMJ over JSP, JHP, z-max, critical duty, Speer Gold Dot and so on.
At the end of the day they all went down the bullet trap.

With a little lubrication the gun runs as hell.
The buffer does a good work, it will increase system life significant.

The upper and lower are reinforced on major points compared to the .22 version.

Hope I did not "whistleblowed" too much. :)
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#20]
WW2 era MP40  mags don't work in this gun?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The spare mags will be available soon, hope they will arrive with the next delivery to ATI, but as a technician I have no idea about shipping and trading, sorry.

The ammo we tried was from 115 grains up to 147 subsonic loads, Blazer aluminium cases, Barnaul steel cases, Remington, Hornady, Federal, Magtech, Geco, and all the stuff available here, nearly 20 kinds or something.
Different bullets from FMJ over JSP, JHP, z-max, critical duty, Speer Gold Dot and so on.
At the end of the day they all went down the bullet trap.

With a little lubrication the gun runs as hell.
The buffer does a good work, it will increase system life significant.

The upper and lower are reinforced on major points compared to the .22 version.

Hope I did not "whistleblowed" too much. :)
View Quote

One more thing before I put this away for a while.  After a good cleaning, that UMC stuff is dirty, I noticed the rear steel block (behind the bolt) is starting to gouge the upper receiver tube.  Looks like that steel block between the bolt and buffer is tilting up on recoil and the front edge is striking the upper receiver tube.  The blueing on the steel piece behind the bolt, not sure what it is called, is not even worn on the edge but its digging into the receiver pretty good.  Its hard to see in the photo but there is about .005" deep gouge at the front.  I'll put a little grease there to slow it down but I would think either that steel block has to fit tighter to the tube where it cant tilt under recoil and hit the top of the upper receiver or the buffer needs to cover the whole surface evenly.  Thats at 568 rounds.  Maybe it will stop at some point but if it keeps going it may eventually wear through the tube, although it will probably take a very long time.

Wondering if you guys seen any wear in the same area?

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
@ZmejgoRynych

Is there any chance of you guys releasing more correct models in the future?

I realize that the price point would be higher, but there is no source for a correct looking MP40 currently.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@ZmejgoRynych

I realize that the price point would be higher, but there is no source for a correct looking MP40 currently.
View Quote

Is there a rundown of egregious errors?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is there a rundown of egregious errors?
View Quote

The worst of them are that the bolt doesn't go nearly as far forward as a real MP40, the bolt handle is completely different, the screws on the starboard side (due to it being a clam shell design basically), and the fact that it looks like a casting.

The take down knob, grip and bakelite panels are also the wrong shape.

ETA:

The second image is a prototype, but it's pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The worst of them are that the bolt doesn't go nearly as far forward as a real MP40, the bolt handle is completely different, the screws on the starboard side (due to it being a clam shell design basically), and the fact that it looks like a casting.

The take down knob, grip and bakelite panels are also the wrong shape.

ETA:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/MP_40_AYF_3.JPG/1280px-MP_40_AYF_3.JPG
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/FEC489DF-0B33-4B1E-BC05-A74B75384C8A_zpsjvvqo4hi.jpg

The second image is a prototype, but it's pretty much the same thing.
View Quote

Good info
I can respect the bolt knob not being forward.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#26]
No, the original WW2 mags wont work. The catch latch milling is on a different position.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@ZmejgoRynych

View Quote

The design of the MP40 is based on the .22 model, so the upper & lower and the whole "architecture" with screws (which is based on a completeley different manufacturing process) is as it is.
I think no one ever spoke of a 1:1 copy.
Almost 1:1 copies are existing in Germany by Sportsysteme Dittrich but for the quintuple or even more of the price.
The goal here was to make an affordable gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The design of the MP40 is based on the .22 model, so the upper & lower and the whole "architecture" with screws (which is based on a completeley different manufacturing process) is as it is.
I think no one ever spoke of a 1:1 copy.
Almost 1:1 copies are existing in Germany by Sportsysteme Dittrich but for the quintuple or even more of the price.
The goal her was to make an affordable gun.
View Quote

I can respect that, but I think they're are a number of us here that would be willing to pay for a more accurate copy.

The ones offered in Germany are open bolt if I recall correctly, so they are illegal here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can respect that, but I think they're are a number of us here that would be willing to pay for a more accurate copy.

The ones offered in Germany are open bolt if I recall correctly, so they are illegal here.
View Quote

I understand that. But the numbers of selling and prices are not my cup of tea, sorry. You have to discuss that with ATI.
They have their hands on the market. :)
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#30]
What is the thread pitch on the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thread pitch is 13:1 RH metric.

There are a lot of German laws which restrict how close they can produce this weapon to the original.  This is why none of the original MP-40 parts will work.

We are working right now on a 922R package for those who want to legally convert their MP-40 pistol into an SBR.  Since we just got the guns ourselves, we have to go through them and see which parts make sense to produce in the USA.  All NFA regulations apply of course.
View Quote

Right hand?
Wondering about suppressors
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#33]
That's right, the thread is a M13x1.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's right, the thread is a M13x1.
View Quote

Interesting.  I know the AUG is threaded M13x1 LH, many/most European 9mm pistols are threaded M13.5x1 LH, the only RH threaded metric I can think of offhand is the HK Mark23 at M16x1 RH - allegedly because the US govt insisted on RH threading.  I wonder if M13x1RH adapters are even available from the major suppressor makers?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#36]
That looks like a fun gun, I will try to get one for the channel someday.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#37]
922r Parts as I would see easiest:

Trilug adapter (shooting loud is uncivilized)
Stock
Mag body, follower, floorplate
Trigger, sear, hammer

What dealers are stocking the MP40? I see Crow and Zanders, anyone else?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I know the AUG is threaded M13x1 LH, many/most European 9mm pistols are threaded M13.5x1 LH, the only RH threaded metric I can think of offhand is the HK Mark23 at M16x1 RH - allegedly because the US govt insisted on RH threading.  I wonder if M13x1RH adapters are even available from the major suppressor makers?
View Quote

Oddly I believe the Galil is M13x1 RH and CNC warrior used to offer an an adapter for it to convert to 1/2x28
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I got two of these a couple of weeks ago. have fired about three hundred rounds through one of them. No issues whatsoever. here is the review I did for GD:

GSG MP40
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nice write up, thanks!
View Quote

Welcome - have had a lot of fun and lots of comments on it. Great range toy. I really would like to get some more magazines though. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Will there be a 10 rd version?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#45]
10rd Magazine ist standard in Germany, so I think they can be ordered easily. It's a 25 mag body with an rivet on the upper hole on the back side.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Where are the MP40's!!??

I've been checking every distributor and none are ever in stock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
First shipment of spare mags for the 9mm are on a ship as we type, once they're in we'll get them out against back orders and have them available on our website.  Should be less than 2 weeks.
View Quote
magazine status?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#49]
What about the guns?! No one has them!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Any update on availability from ATI??
Page / 5
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top