Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 10/6/2014 7:36:46 AM EDT
Hi!

A LGS has a used GSG 5 in pretty nice shape.  I wanted the SD version, but this is the one with the slim "suppressor", and has an aftermarket railed handguard on it.  He is asking $325.  Here in CT we cant have folding stock, or 10+ round magazines, so it has the original GSG cheap butt stock on it.  It appears to function properly, but I cant shoot it before buying.

I have read of numerous problems with the GSG 5.  Can anyone tell me what to look out for?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an original GSG 5SD  (not the GSG 522) and it works great.  I was a little surprised on this forum to see people call it junk, but I guess there are some gun snobs.

Mine has never malfunctioned with any ammo I have ever fed it, not even golden bullets or other bulk junk.  It has no recoil to speak of, it's really accurate.  

If it looks good to you and you like it, go for it!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
See if the screws are updated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
As the current owner of a very early-issue GSG5 and recently a GSG522P project (see my post GSG522P + SB15), I would ask, "Can you and Do you like to work on and tinker with guns?"  If not, I'd recommend staying away from it.  I've had a love/hate relationship with the GSG5...did the screw upgrades myself finding those tiny little things locally at Fastenal, the firing pin fix, my own cocking handle buffer design and install, original stock mods/improvements to make it solid, much sanding and fitting of magazine parts, trigger work, and finally polishing of the bolt face which solved a LONG-frustrating FTF problem.

That said, I really like shooting it, it's VERY accurate for what it is and now (finally) very reliable with CCI Mini Mags and Blazers...Federal stuff and many hollow points just don't feed real reliably.  My new 522 project so far works perfectly and also is great fun to shoot.  Anyone who handles and shoots either likes then as well.

It's kinda like certain cars...have the aptitude, patience and tools to work on cars, buy an MG.  Don't like any headaches and wanna just get in, turn the key and drive away everytime, buy a Toyota.

Regards, s/FART
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I must have a unicorn gsg 5
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't. I have one too. Don't even remember how long I've had it. Never had a single malfunction. People who think they are junk just aren't very intelligent.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You don't. I have one too. Don't even remember how long I've had it. Never had a single malfunction. People who think they are junk just aren't very intelligent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure it's like any other gun, some of em are bad. But I have one and two of my friends have em and they're so damn accurate and reliable.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
mine wasnt so good out of box. after 40 rounds or so all of a sudden springs let loose inside and bolt would not come out. called ati and had a return done. couple weeks or so later i get it back. take to range and after 4 shots no ejection. failure to extract. sent it back again. after second repair seemed ok. started as a 522sd version. bought the 16 piece 522 conversion kit. since did that the gun has had no issues yet. just wasnt pleased at first. starting to come around. only shot maybe 50 rounds since conversion kit. hopefully continues good. but last person said might have got the one that was built on friday afternoon at 4:59 pm before a long weekend. fingers crossed going foward. good luck in whatever u purchase.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had one for a couple of years. shoots everything I feed it. very accurate and fun to shoot. I bought the mp5 kit for it to make it look like the mp5 and the pin kit. but since I have gotten my suppressors, well, it has stayed in the safe and I shoot mainly suppressed now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to remember the differences between the first three versions of the original GSG-5.  I know that the main diff is the ejector, which used to break off on the Gen 1.  See if there is a brass rivet holding it in place.  If so, then the gun should be a Gen 2 or 3 and also has the upgraded factory screws and shouldn't give you any trouble.  I bought the aftermarket screw kit for mine but never installed them.   I did install a charging handle buffer so that handle wouldn't crack the housing.

I love my GSG-5.  I love all my GSG .22 clones.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:39:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a lot of problems with both GSG-5's I had. A gen 1 and a gen 2. Once the ejector was riveted and the screws were tightened/locktighted I haven't had any problems (for the most part).

I have a GSG-5PK sbr'd that randomly has an issue with trigger reset.

By and large any issue I have had - has been taken care of expeditiously.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm sure it's like any other gun, some of em are bad. But I have one and two of my friends have em and they're so damn accurate and reliable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is also a reliable and accurate gun.  They were the super hero rifle until the HK version came out.  After that people started wanting an HK on their gun to feel better and cutting down the GSG. Honestly I like the original GSG5 better than the odd and thin barrel set up of the Walther ,HK version. Every GSG5 I personally know of has ran 100%.  I am starting to think the ones with a problem are all owned by Walther.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Can anyone tell me what to look out for?
View Quote

Ammo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up a  GSG-5PK from another member..he claimed it wouldn't run worth a damn......runs perfectly for me....really likes high-velocity though. I also have an early GSG-5 rifle that has had a few reliability mods....fun rifle.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought one for my son, my FFL got hold of a first anniversary edition, it has functioned almost flawlessly, the malfunctions were ammo related, the odd round here and there from bulk packs, Federal and Winchester, never had any issues with CCI, dirty chamber, over 1,000 rounds, and he had a tendency to put his hand against the magazine.  He loves it.  Also, make sure the ejector has a brass rivet attaching it to the bolt, and not a screw, those are the upgraded guns.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:54:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a an early one, gen 1 I guess.  Won't get through 5 rounds without a FTE.  Never wanted to send it back because they will neuter it.  Don't know what the issue is, haven't really looked for it. I wish it didn't suck because it's fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not quite sure what that means.  If you have a serial number A27**** or lower, odds are you do not have the riveted ejector.  This upgrade is life time and surpasses the guns original warranty because it was an inline change in the make of the original GSG-5.

If you're having issues with your original GSG-5, we can still service them and send them back to you in their original configuration.  We don't have to change it to a 522 version if that's what you mean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Never wanted to send it back because they will neuter it.

I'm not quite sure what that means.  If you have a serial number A27**** or lower, odds are you do not have the riveted ejector.  This upgrade is life time and surpasses the guns original warranty because it was an inline change in the make of the original GSG-5.

If you're having issues with your original GSG-5, we can still service them and send them back to you in their original configuration.  We don't have to change it to a 522 version if that's what you mean.

Thanks for the rapid reply! So you will leave everything else alone, including the original faux suppressor?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Carbine. Yes, it's a lower serial number than you posted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, good.  The carbine shroud was not subject to the ATF recall of the Shrouds.  Only the SD versions were.  Plus I mean we technically don't need the shroud on the gun to fix the internals, its just cosmetic after all.

And as far as the rest of your original GSG-5 features, the rule is a lot like the ATFs once a machine gun always a machine gun saying.  If it was imported before the 2010 stoppage, once a GSG-5 always a GSG-5.

I promise, we won't hurt her, we'll get her up and running
View Quote

Outstanding Sir!  A few years back I was looking into sending it back to be worked on but folks were saying they were being returned with "updated" features.  Not sure if that was because of the ATF ruling, the lawsuit or just bad info.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was a little surprised on this forum to see people call it junk, but I guess there are some gun snobs.
View Quote

The three I've held all wouldn't even cycle the bolt because the ejector was crooked.  Here's a picture of mine:

So I'm a gun snob because I want something as basic as cycling the bolt to work?  I didn't even make it through a full magazine before it quit for good.z
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I'm a gun snob because I want something as basic as cycling the bolt to work?  I didn't even make it through a full magazine before it quit for good.z
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ummmm, did you read ATI's response just a few posts above???
Quoted:

Looks like from your picture that you have an early failed gun, and Chris is saying they'll make it right....  Case closed?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks like from your picture that you have an early failed gun, and Chris is saying they'll make it right....  Case closed?
View Quote

They said it wasn't.  Why are you defending something that doesn't work?  Also, the OP asked what to look for.  From the three out of three GSG-5s I've seen, this is a problem with all of them.  It is exactly what he should be looking for.

Also, look at the picture.  The ejector is supposed to be horizontal.  It won't dry fire so I can't disassemble it.  I tried to disassemble it to get a better picture of the ejector.  An ejector shouldn't come loose so quickly, especially on a 22!  How many rounds do many of us have through our 10/22 rifles without any parts breaking?

I feel like a sucker after buying a couple of extra magazines and the optics mount for a gun that is hopeless.  I should have waited until trying the rifle before sinking even more money on it.z
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They said it wasn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They said it wasn't.

Well, Chris above said S/N 27* was probably affected, the symptoms are a loose/broken ejector, and you show S/N 27* along with a loose/broken ejector.  PM Chris and see what he says.  Most folks here who've dealt with him/ATI say they're good.  No personal experience beyond some conversations with Chris and him looking up some info for me on my GSG-522.

Quoted:Why are you defending something that doesn't work?  Also, the OP asked what to look for.  From the three out of three GSG-5s I've seen, this is a problem with all of them.  It is exactly what he should be looking for.

Fair point on what to look for, but I think you're going a bit over on "...something that doesn't work...".  

If it were my gun, I'd send it to ATI and see what it takes to fix it.  For that matter, if you don't want to deal with it and are bummed about all the extras, box it all up and I'll send you $150-200 for the whole shooting match as-is.  Seriously.
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top