Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 3/19/2014 9:42:37 AM EDT
Over a year ago, I removed my pistol's magazine safety lever and spring after reading that doing so could lessen trigger pull weight.  It was an easy procedure and there were no immediate issues.  Then sometime later I started noticing that my pistol began to have stovepipe issues.  This got worse each outing to the point where the gun was having feed and ejection problems almost every round (stovepipe ejections, failure to pick up next round, failure to cock the hammer, etc.).  I'd have to manually cock the slide every shot for the first 6 or 7 shots in a mag before the last three would function.  I tried different ammos and different lubes and greases, but the problems persisted.

Finally before returning it to ATI for evaluation, I decided I'd better return the pistol to original factory configuration by reinstalling the mag safety.  And just for science sake, I took the pistol back out to the range to see if that had any effect.  It made all the difference in the world.  I fired over 350 rounds of different ammos with only one stove pipe.

So, in my pistol, removing the mag safety somehow increased the drag on the slide which eventually resulted in feeding and ejecting problems.  This did not occur immediately after removing the mag safety or I would have realized the connection.  It was a gradual loss in reliability that got worse and worse.  

Has anyone else removed their mag safety and experienced reliability issues that were not there previously?  If so, you might want to reinstall your mag safety and see if that solves your problems.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I did a quick BING search that turned up quite a few hits;
AT 1911-22 Mag safety removal
Maybe this will help
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Those links just show how to remove it.   I'm just trying to see if any others have had problems after removing theirs.   And if so,  let them know the probable cause and fix.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine has been removed over 2 years, no problems. Might need to give it a good cleaning or possibly switch ammo.
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top