Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the color of the stock in the photo's GNRNR posted, it looks darker than many I've seen.

Did you mod it or is that how it came ?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Got one ordered this morning.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up mine today for only $510+ tax, The catch is no mag  They only have high caps for these currently and the distributor didn't have any 10 rounders (Yet).

Looks like I will be waiting to shoot it.  

Got a K98 repro sling on it and it overall it looks fantastic.
It has a cool little cleaning kit hole in the top of the stock Awsome little details!
Very hefty feeling gun.  I hope to see more products like this from GSG.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I picked up mine today for only $510+ tax, The catch is no mag  They only have high caps for these currently and the distributor didn't have any 10 rounders (Yet).

Looks like I will be waiting to shoot it.  

Got a K98 repro sling on it and it overall it looks fantastic.
It has a cool little cleaning kit hole in the top of the stock Awsome little details!
Very hefty feeling gun.  I hope to see more products like this from GSG.  

Mind me asking what shop?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like the color of the stock in the photo's GNRNR posted, it looks darker than many I've seen.
Did you mod it or is that how it came ?

Thats how it was out of the box. The other one at my dealer looked the same.
I like the darker wood too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my today at the fun show...$500 from a friend dealer.  This thing is realy nice.  Wow
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got my today at the fun show...$500 from a friend dealer.  This thing is realy nice.  Wow

You got a great deal!  There is one to be had at Bradis gun store in Camby, Indiana, for about $540.  It should arrive on Monday.  If I hadn't ordered one off Gunbroker, it would be mine.  The darned thing is that mine won't get here until Tuesday or Wednesday.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Just wondering when 25 round mags will become available? Could use about 12 of them. Not a fan of reloading when out shooting!
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Question for the guys that have one is the barrel threaded
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Question for the guys that have one is the barrel threaded

No barrel threads. The muzzle nut is part of the front sight base casting. The muzzle is under the base a ways.
Picked one up last week for $495.00, a perk for working at a gun shop! Nice solid rifle.
I was surprised at the quality. I had expected a .22 in an airsoft.
 Runs like a top and a blast at pin shoots!
Now I need to "distress" the finish to complete the illusion!
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Put about 450 rounds through it this morning with no hiccups.

It does shoot way low like Oleg Volk said. Ramp it up to 200 and it's about an inch low.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Now we need to lobby ATI for a repro scope mount.
What do you say Chris, is one being thought about?

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got back from the range.  I'm in love  .  This is the coolest gun I own right now (and that's no small claim).  Thing is built like a tank... or at least it weighs the same as a tank.  Shot about 300 Wallyworld Fed 550 bulk.  Not a single hiccup with the gun.  Never a jam or misfeed, no stove pipes... kicks empties out about 8 feet.

Mine did shoot way low at 40 yards and had to move sight up on the ramp to the "6" mark.  Was plinking orange clays at 100 yds with the sight moved to the "7" on the ramp.  Seems very accurate with bulk ammo, but haven't shot a target yet.

I highly recommend this rifle.  I'm getting another one to put away for the grandkids.  This rifle gets two thumbs up from me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 2:38:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Non magnetic receiver. Handguard is stamped steel. Plastic mag.
Seems durable, the weight can make that deceiving though.

So if the receiver is non magnetic, what is is made of? Is it machined aluminum made to look like stamped steel, or some type of zinc pot metal alloy? also for the price I cant belive its got a plastic magazine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Billsfan-  Chris from ATI says mags will not be available until September at the earliest.  He said they ordered 4 times as many spare mags as guns.

I too have to have it on the "6" mark for 25 yards.  I think the number are there only for cosmetic appeal.  It is one of my favorite guns to shoot.  I even like it better than my S&W 15-22.  And I am a huge S&W fan.  I own 7 of their guns.

The safety is a bit odd for those who are used to the standard ar15 safety.  I am one of those that it feels backwards to me but that is how the original stg44's were.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if the receiver is non magnetic, what is is made of? Is it machined aluminum made to look like stamped steel, or some type of zinc pot metal alloy? also for the price I cant belive its got a plastic magazine.

My ARs cost far more than this and have plastic magazines, so...
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't buy one.  Leaves more for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't buy one.  Leaves more for the rest of us.

Dont get me wrong I still want one, just want to know how the receiver is made if it is not stamped?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GSGs when they first came out were the same price and had plastic mags, Umarex 22 clones... same. AR .22s, same... None are as cool as this STG with wood stock and stamped handguard.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AR is a modern platform, Synthetic mags are acceptable, but the STG 44 never had a plastic magazine.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AR is a modern platform, Synthetic mags are acceptable, but the STG 44 never had a plastic magazine.

And we never had a chance of owning an StG44 replica in .22LR until ATI/GSG spent time and money developing this one.  Thanks ATI/GSG.  I don't need a metal mag... the plastic one is fine.  Just waiting for chance to buy more mags in September.

If you want to be a purist, go out and buy one of the real 44's for $15-25k.  But stop bashing this one especially since you have no intention of buying one.  It's a winner.

Some people just like to bitch just for the sake of bitching.  Shessssh.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Got mine today!!

24 rounds, then a misfeed.  I'm not sure why, but I didn't get the chance to try a full mag again.  Then, when reloading the mag, a round dropped vertically inside the mag when I was loading it, (Maybe a mistake on my part??  I'm not sure), so I had to disassemble the whole mag to get it out.  The range closed, so I didn't get to test fire it yet.  

The gun itself is magnificent!  I set the sight on 6, as recommended above, and was pounding the bullseye at 25 yards.  What a joy!  This thing is fun!  

I'll go later in the week to try it again.  I'm going to use it at Friday Night Steel, a local steel shooting competition.  They're going to crap when they see this!  Hopefully, the mag is fine.  If not, I'm not hopeful ATI could get me a replacement very quickly.  My fingers are crossed!

Anyone have pics of how a sling would attach to this thing?  I'm going to look for a surplus sling that resembles the old STG44 sling.  I'd love to see how it looks and works.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#23]
On loading most any .22LR mag... you need to pull down the follower just enough to insert one  or two rounds at a time.  You can't pull the follower way down and then just start dropping in rounds.  That's a recipe for misaligned .22LR cartriges almost every time.  I had no trouble loading my StG's plastic mag by doing it one round at a time.

As for a proper sling, you need to get a Mauser 98k style sling (either real deal or repro).  These are 2-piece slings and have the little 2-3" long belt buckle looking "fob" or whatever it's called that fits in the slot on the left side of the rear stock.  The sliing comes in through the right side and attached to the "fob".   They sell these 98k slings on Gunbroker both authentic and repro.  I got a repro with stampings this week for $34 shipped.  Probably can find surplus ones cheaper or elsewhere but I wanted one quick.and GB had some.  I won't have pics until the sling arrive this week, but someone can probably beat me to it showing how they look and are fitted to the StG44.

Hope that helps on both accounts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Gauging the strength of metal by it being "non magnetic" is a very poor method and even a bit ignorant.

My Brother finally received one on Saturday. It is an extremely well made rifle, surprisingly so.

It flawlessly sent 14 mag fulls down range without a single issue!

It is not aluminum and your "pot metal" line is nothing but unfounded cheap propaganda. I read someplace else this BS talk of "pot metal"... pure BS!

Sorry but you seem to be jealous or on some agenda.

Since you seem so obsessed with a gun's magnetic attraction, you would have been impressed by its ability to draw almost every person on the range over for a look & a feel and even let many take a few shots... about 25+ people, all of which spoke nothing but high praise and said they wanted one.

Go buy one yourself and test it before talking sh@t! You have zero excuse (unless you can't afford it & why you're talking garbage) because you could sell it within 10 minutes if you somehow didn't like it due to the demand right now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On loading most any .22LR mag... you need to pull down the follower just enough to insert one  or two rounds at a time.  You can't pull the follower way down and then just start dropping in rounds.  That's a recipe for misaligned .22LR cartriges almost every time.  I had no trouble loading my StG's plastic mag by doing it one round at a time.

As for a proper sling, you need to get a Mauser 98k style sling (either real deal or repro).  These are 2-piece slings and have the little 2-3" long belt buckle looking "fob" or whatever it's called that fits in the slot on the left side of the rear stock.  The sliing comes in through the right side and attached to the "fob".   They sell these 98k slings on Gunbroker both authentic and repro.  I got a repro with stampings this week for $34 shipped.  Probably can find surplus ones cheaper or elsewhere but I wanted one quick.and GB had some.  I won't have pics until the sling arrive this week, but someone can probably beat me to it showing how they look and are fitted to the StG44.

Hope that helps on both accounts.

Thanks for the sling info!  I probably did cause it, just as you described.  I've never had trouble, though with dozens of times loading my S&W MP/15-22 mags, though, which appear very similar.  I won't make that mistake again.  I really want to pull this thing out for the steel competition Friday.  I think people will really shit their pants!

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#26]
My Jeep's wheels are non-magnetic, and they've been through hell and back many a time.  Are they pot-metal?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Gauging the strength of metal by it being "non magnetic" is a very poor method and even a bit ignorant.

My Brother finally received one on Saturday. It is an extremely well made rifle, surprisingly so.

It is not aluminum and your "pot metal" line is nothing but unfounded cheap propaganda. I read someplace else this BS talk of "pot metal"... pure BS!

Since you seem so obsessed with a gun's magnetic attraction, you would have been impressed by its ability to draw almost every person on the range over for a look & a feel and even let many take a few shots... about 25+ people, all of which spoke nothing but high praise and said they wanted one.

Go buy one yourself and test it before talking sh@t! You have zero excuse (unless you can't afford it & why you're talking garbage) because you could sell it within 10 minutes if you somehow didn't like it due to the demand right now.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Damned thing is gorgeous!  I've even thought about sleeping with it tonight!

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chill out. For most 22LR guns, if it is not made from steel, it is almost always made zinc or Al. I would bet zinc because it would allow them to cheaply die cast the receiver as opposed to machine or investment cast with Al. Therefore it is most likely pot metal.

Even so, I could care less and am happy that it's even metal. I trust that it's steel where it needs to be, the receiver on this blowback 22 is not one of those places.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Chill out. ...

?   Grow-up friend.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Damned thing is gorgeous!  I've even thought about sleeping with it tonight!

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww266/PrincipalSkinr/2012-08-19_16-59-01_922.jpg

Very nice! Truly like the darker wood.

The first few examples online seem to have light or at least lighter color wood, wonder if it was just the image or if they are coming through with two different color tones?
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Take down is very easy http://aftermathgunclub.com/?p=733
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Got mine in Friday night.   Nice rifle.   I own a PTR44/STG44 replica semi auto and it's similar in weight.  A few other differences between then, but when you lean them up against a wall and step back, it's hard to tell.  Now I can shot the piss out of an MP44 type rifle and not have to spend the big bucks on 8mm Kurz ammo.   Saweeeeet !!!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My Jeep's wheels are non-magnetic, and they've been through hell and back many a time.  Are they pot-metal?

Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all stamping a receiver out of steel is really cheap, I mean real cheap. Why in the hell would they make a cheap zinc alloy casting to look like a stamping is beyond me, plus the barrel looks in the white under the handguards. oh and a plastic magazine. Its a cool rifle but should be priced more like a 10/22 the way its made.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all stamping a receiver out of steel is really cheap, I mean real cheap. Why in the hell would they make a cheap zinc alloy casting to look like a stamping is beyond me, plus the barrel looks in the white under the handguards. oh and a plastic magazine. Its a cool rifle but should be priced more like a 10/22 the way its made.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chill out. ...

?   Grow-up friend.

That is the exact response I had from reading your post but refrained since this is a technical forum.

Re: stampings...

Anybody who knows manufacturing engineering knows that stampings are not cheap compared to die casting zinc, especially with an intricate form like a STG receiver. Why would they use zinc? Same reason GSG, Umarex, etc.. do, it's less expensive. and reduces the steps required to produce.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I have read of it and seen it termed..."ZAMAC" or (in German) "ZAMAK".  An alloy composoed of Zinc, Aluminum, Magnesium, and Copper.  See Wikipedia.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
And you GSG opponents will notice that Zamak is not the same thing as the old fashioned "pot metal" or "white metal" that toys were made of in the early 20th century.  Zamak is a highly refined zinc alloy with various compositions of zinc, aluminum, magnisium, and copper.  The zinc is 99.999% pure and does not suffer from the maladies of cheap zinc castings used before (i.e., zinc pest).  

I've read ATI posts where GSG uses Zamak 3 for their castings.   This is a totally acceptable practice for the low powered .22LR cartridge where stress is not an issue.  Steel is used in the Zamak firearms where it is necessary.    All you naysayers should just shut up...  If you don't like Zamak guns, don't buy them.

Keep up the good work ATI/GSG

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And you GSG opponents will notice that Zamak is not the same thing as the old fashioned "pot metal" or "white metal" that toys were made of in the early 20th century.  Zamak is a highly refined zinc alloy with various compositions of zinc, aluminum, magnisium, and copper.  The zinc is 99.999% pure and does not suffer from the maladies of cheap zinc castings used before (i.e., zinc pest).  

I've read ATI posts where GSG uses Zamak 3 for their castings.   This is a totally acceptable practice for the low powered .22LR cartridge where stress is not an issue.  Steel is used in the Zamak firearms where it is necessary.    All you naysayers should just shut up...  If you don't like Zamak guns, don't buy them.

Keep up the good work ATI/GSG

That was my biggest worry Ive had rifles with zinc alloy recievers in the 80s, and they were very brittle. AKA the AP 74 in 22. Also various expensive replicas that cracked when dropped made from zinc alloy. If they have refined and improved the process and actually ran it through the ringer before it went to market, I dont have a problem with it, Ill stand in line with my cash like the rest of us. I still dont like the plastic mag though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Thanks everyone for the photos and reports!

Is it possible to file down the front sight post to correct the point of impact problem?

I would sure like to see a test target shot at 50 yds ( and 100 yds)  from a benchrest !
Joe S
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks everyone for the photos and reports!

Is it possible to file down the front sight post to correct the point of impact problem?

I would sure like to see a test target shot at 50 yds ( and 100 yds)  from a benchrest !
Joe S

Short of redesigning the entire rear sight ramp, reducing the front post height is the best option.  However, the problem is that the front post is a sharp triangle.  You could raise the POI by filing it down, but you'd have to be careful to take the same angle off on both sides or it would look lopsided.  Then you'd have to paint it semi-gloss black.

If you can remove the little stamped sheet metal rear sight piece (with the "U" groove) that moves left or right (to adjust for windage), and cut a new one that is taller, that would work too.   I'll look at mine to see if the rear sight can be disassembled and what this little piece of metal looks like.

As for me... I'm just going to live with the rear sight being set on "7" or "8" to shift POI at 45 and 100 yds, respectively.  If I had to have a complaint about the gun, it would be the low POI that appears to be inherent in all of the production models out right now.  But that's a pretty small gripe.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the reviews guys, lets me know what to expect when I get mine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Picked mine up today!  Hooray!

Took it right to the range after work and put 250 rd through it.  2 FTF which I consider quite acceptable for a 22 using Federal bulk ammo.

The mag is sure long (to look like the originals I guess) but it loads really easy.  Love the angled grip on the follower.

I'm a little leery on the rear sight, though, seems pretty flimsy.  The actual rear sight notch on mine is raised above the sight lever itself, it let light through underneath and was throwing me off.  maybe get some tape or something or modify an AK sight.  Being windage adjustable is nice, though.

I could have done without the crate.  I can't imagine why I would want to remove the buttstock and store the rifle inside as shipped.  But it's pretty and I will let it gather dust somewhere.

All in all , I'm pleased as punch to have one in my hands!
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Got mine ordered from Grab a Gun $511.75 shipped!  1 left!

Yes Yes Yes
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#44]
99+ hit the Davidson Site 11:27 AM sold out in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
99+ hit the Davidson Site 11:27 AM sold out in 5 minutes.

I got the email 28 minutes too late
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Got mine ordered from Grab a Gun $511.75 shipped!  1 left!

Yes Yes Yes

When things are to good to sound true they usually are.  I ordered this from Grab a Gun.  Watched the inventory go from 2 to 1 then 0.  My order was processing.
Today I was watching the Davidson site through my dealer and watched has the stg's went from 99+ down to 70 then so on and so on.  I actually was going to purchase another but it was going to cost me another 50 plus taxes.  Sad to say I let those pass.  At 5:23 today I received this from Grab a Gun

"Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, we have had an error in our inventory and do not have the firearm you ordered in stock. I am very sorry for any inconvenience.  We should get more in stock in the next couple weeks if you are still looking for one. I will also honor the price and give you free shipping if you come back to order with us. If you sign up to be notified on the product page we will email you as soon as we get some in stock.  In the mean time I will cancel your order and void your credit card charge."

(sob) I have wanted this gun just has bad has anything else I have wanted.  I reckon Gun Brokers is next.  Didn't want to pay the higher price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought a reproduction 98k sling to put on my new GSG StG44 .22LR rifle. It's brand new and I'm having trouble getting the little stud to go through just one of the hole/slot cuts in the stiff new leather and I can just forget about trying to get it through two holes after looping it through the sling swivel. I think the stud is too short and/or the leather is too thick. My first inclination is to shave the thickness down on the end of the sling where the stud can more easily pass through.

Is there a trick to installing these sling studs before I shave the leather (or go buy a longer modern fastener at Lowes/Home Depot? The sling is faux marked with "gxy 1944" with a waffenamp with "WaA47".

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#48]
If the leather is stiff and new, and thick, it can be a real pain in the butt to get the stud in that hole. I would lay the tab with the stud on a hard flat surface, and force the sling hole over the stud. You could make a  tool to do this with  a piece of wood with a  hole drilled in it the size of the stud. Once you get it in, Pull on it to strecth it out. It should eventually stretch to the point where it is no longer that hard to install and remove. Some have a lenghtwise slit at the bottom of the hole to help get it over the stud. Carefully thinning the leather will work, but if you take too much off there is no way to put it back on, so I would only do that as a last resort. Lube up the sling with some Mink Oil to take the stiffness out, Saturate it in Mink Oil for a while in the sum, that might loosen it up a little. You cold also make the hole a little bigger, but  if you do that and it subsequently strethes, it might be too big.  I hope this helps. Joe S
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks... I got the stud through one side of the sling, then laid it down on a vise and postioned the other part of the sling over the stud.  Then I used a wooden down as a punch and beat the leather down around the side of the stud.  Also had to use a screwdriver blade to push the second layer of leather under the stud lip.  Finally beat it down on there and once it's in place you can pull on the sling halves and rotate then to work the stud into the circular hole part of the slit.  It's on there now.  Man... the Wehrmacht had some really stupid leather slings.  US military slings were much better and easier to adjust.

Gun looks pretty nice with the repro sling on it.   Good thing, because I ain't taking it off now.  Too hard to get it on there.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#50]
For future reference soaking it before hand will make the leather more pliable.
Page / 10
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top