Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/5/2009 5:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001]
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ray, Welcome aboard

I would like to know your thoughts on these aftermarket screw kits coming out and the warranty issues surrounding their usage

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 9:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scotty_1970] [#2]
Hi Ray, and Thanks to Ati for being here and on top of there customer service. I do have a problem that I haven't seen addressed on these boards:

My GSG-5 is a Gen 3 and is I've had it about two weeks. The bolt hold open feature hasn't worked once since I got the rifle. I have tried several brands of approved ammo and Yes, the spring is still in place.  I have cleaned and givin it a generous amount of lube, but I have still not had it lock in place even once after emptying a mag. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 11:40:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nemesis6] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 11:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#4]
how do I know what gen mine is? I bought it in Nov.

nevermind- found the info
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not seen the aftermarket screws, so I can't comment on them.  Any screw that would hold the parts togather without vibrating loose would be fine.  The first prototypes we received in 2007 had nuts and bolts, thus the nut shaped slots on the right side of the bolt carrier assembly.  Unfortunately, the nut and screw were not made of the same material and the nuts would come loose and fall into the breech area causing problems.  My personal favorite is a stainless steel cap head screw  and nut, the fronts being an M2 and the rear being an M3.

The bolt carriers were not suppose to be disassembled by the consumer, so the self tapping screws, if tightened properly should stay tight. but if they are removed and reinstalled they seem to vibrate loose.

Please send me the site where they see these kits and I will check them out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Take the bolt carrier assembly out of the gun and look at the forward tab on the left side of the assembly that slides back an forth in the carrier slot when you move the bolt.  The leading edge of that tab is whats catches on the bolt stop.  If that is all banged up and rounded off, the bolt stop can't catch it.  Being a new gun and the fact that the bolt has never stayed open, I dought the tab is damaged.  once no damage has been found, put an empty magazine in the gun and pull the bolt back all the way and release it.  If the bolt stays open, then that would signify that the bolt stop is working and the problem must be the bolt not going back far enough to catch on the bolt stop.  This could be caused by weak ammo or something dragging on the bolt.  If the bolt does not stay open with the empty magazine, remove the magazine and reach inside the magazine well and push the bolt stop up by hand, while puuling the bolt all the way back and releasing it.  If the bolt now stays open then the problem is the most likely the magazine follower.  If it does not stay open, you will need to ship the gun to us for repair.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 5:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#7]
Originally Posted By RAYCATON:
I have not seen the aftermarket screws, so I can't comment on them.  Any screw that would hold the parts togather without vibrating loose would be fine.  The first prototypes we received in 2007 had nuts and bolts, thus the nut shaped slots on the right side of the bolt carrier assembly.  Unfortunately, the nut and screw were not made of the same material and the nuts would come loose and fall into the breech area causing problems.  My personal favorite is a stainless steel cap head screw  and nut, the fronts being an M2 and the rear being an M3.

The bolt carriers were not suppose to be disassembled by the consumer, so the self tapping screws, if tightened properly should stay tight. but if they are removed and reinstalled they seem to vibrate loose.

It seems to me that the only way the nuts could possibly fall out would be if the screw backed out to the point that the nut was free. The nuts are deeply encapsulated by the body of the bolt carrier and can't possibly fall out (or even turn) unless the screw has worked completely loose and has backed out about 1/3 of it's travel. If things are that loose the carbine couldn't function. So far I've seen no indication of loosening with my screw sets and certainly no possibility of nuts falling out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Ray ,

Thanks for the info on the screws and the bolt stop. It sounds as though some of us may just go deeper into thiings than are necessary. Can you recommend which screws we should only deal with, whether it be by loctite, or nuts, both, or neither? I am mostly just concerned about whatever damage has supposed to have happened to the carrier I guess?

I appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RAYCATON:

Here is a link to the Hex Head Stainless Steel Screws and Nuts Replacement. Scroll down almost halfway and you will see this section.

Replacement Screws

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes the screws would have to back off, I didn't mean that the nuts turned off the screws, but that they came out of their spot in the carrier and floated around inside the carrier, while the screws stayed partially in the holes.  Also I didn't mean that all the nuts came out at once, it usually only takes one to jam up the mechanism.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
ELWD1

I myself use Stainless steel nuts and screws with blue loctite applied, that being said, anything that doesn't come loose is just fine.

Ray
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
this isn't really a technical question but in order to avoid rumors, I'd like to ask you, what are the 2009 plans for ATI and GSG? what guns will be be looking for on the shelves in the coming months? AK? AR? FN? are there any other designs currently in the motions of being built as 22 clones?
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By cyberhedz:

this isn't really a technical question but in order to avoid rumors, I'd like to ask you, what are the 2009 plans for ATI and GSG? what guns will be be looking for on the shelves in the coming months? AK? AR? FN? are there any other designs currently in the motions of being built as 22 clones?

AK

GSG-5SD

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Ray I'll do so during my first thorough cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I know you have been working on fixing the slam fire issues and the few reasons they are happening. Having that said, what are you doing with the barrel and the screw(s) holding it in place so it won't work it's way out of place again after you have fixed it the first time Not to say it will work it's way out of place after you fixed it, but what is stopping it from happening again Is your fix for this a final solution to the barrel moving
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]
halflife

The original barrels were right hand thread, which if the barrel lock stud was not kept tight, the twist of the barrel would loosen the the barrel as the gun was fired.  Now all barrels have left hand threads, so unless the receiver is taken apart and the barrel lock stud wasn't tight in the first place, that should not be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Ray,

Is this the fix for the occasional two or three-shot bursts I'm having on occasion.  If, not, any ideas on why it may be happening or things I could check here before I have to send it in to you?

Thanks,
Kevin
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Ray,
I have a question for you about the factory front sling eyelet. From looking at the diagram it is part number 43 and has a set screw for the other side listed as part number 70. Is it possible to find those and/or order them anywhere???  PLEASE

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Kevin,

The main two reasons for slam fires are, (1)  The barrel protrudes past flush on the breech block.  (2) The firing pin spring has been shortened, or too short a spring being installed.

Ray
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Rob,

You can buy them from us, when we have them, for $4.95 with credit card.

Ray
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:28:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tactic101] [#21]
Hi Rob,

Stupid question probably, but would doing the "HK pin upgrade"––replacing the three GSG double-ended takedown screws holding the reciever and buttstock together with HK spring-loaded pins invalidate the warranty?  My understanding is the large HK pin (for the standard buttstock) is a hair's breadth wider and requires a little widening of the GSG stock's plastic hole.   Thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 2:50:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tactic101:
Hi Rob,

Stupid question probably, but would doing the "HK pin upgrade"––replacing the three GSG double-ended screws holding the receiver and buttstock together with HK spring-loaded pins invalidate the warranty?  My understanding is the large HK pin (for the buttstock is a hair's breadth wider and requires a little widening of the GSG stock's plastic hole.   Thanks, Mike

I'd also like to know if using the replacement screw set would negate my warranty.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Hello,

Wanting to know when the gsg-5pk front grip (simular to mp5k)  with be availiable in the U.S, and when will they ship, and whom will be the distributor.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By avidshooter22:
Hello,

Wanting to know when the gsg-5pk front grip (simular to mp5k)  with be availiable in the U.S, and when will they ship, and whom will be the distributor.

Thank you.

I also have a question on the pk k-grip.. Does ATI have any plans to include these on a pistol straight from the factory? Would this allow the buyer to avoid the AOW tax stamp if it came already installed?
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 4:31:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: turnkey1] [#25]
Hello Ray,
  I would like to know If I could buy some replacement parts from you, "ex pk cocking tube assembly # 75, 77/78 " Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#26]
As I have previously stated, We are not concerned with what screws are used to hold the parts together, however altering parts such as enlarging holes, will invalidate the warranty on the parts altered.  We are also concerned with customers completly tearing down their weapons. I understand the urge to do so, but I get guns in here all the time, some with statements like, a $500.00 gun should work for more then 500 rounds, then when I take them apart to fix them I find bolt return springs in backwards, firing pin springs cut, parts missing etc. all done by the well intentioned customers that thought they knew what they were doing, and then want to blame the gun for the problems. I received a gun the other day where the customer stated his brand new gun would not fire after only one box of ammo. I took off the butt cap and the bolt carrier stop block was screwed onto the carrier upside down, so the block was just sitting on the back of the carrier and not down in the receiver where it holds the carrier in place.  Yet this customer had a lot of uncomplimentary things to say about the gun.  We are here to help you and take care of the problems that you have with the GSG,  and we have covered things under warranty that the customer should have had to pay for, in the name of quality customer service, but it sure would be nice to have the customers cooperation in return.  If you want to put HK pins in and you drill out the stock hole, it only makes sense that the stock would no longer be in warranty, however that will not affect the warranty on the rest of the gun.  Sorry about the bitching, I just needed to vent a little, but nobody needs to threaten us, to get us to do our job, and you will catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.  This is no reflection o the quetions you asked, we just needed to clear the air, and this seemed as good a time as ever.

Ray and Mike

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#27]
The grips are already here, but require a class three license to buy.  I know that Amchar wholesale has them, but I am not sure what other distributors or retailers  have purchased them.  I will try to find out more info and let you know.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#28]
The answer is no plans and no that would not avoid the tax, because we would have to sell it as an AOW.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, you can buy them from us with a credit card for $39.95 for the whole assembly
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Two quick questions:

1.     I have a random double fire once in a while (squeeze the trigger once and it fires two rounds), the gun has never been taken apart and
       has about 1000rds down range with not one FTF, FTE, or any other issue. Last trip to the range it did it double fire twice out of about 150
       rounds, will cleaning it help or maybe a new spring?

2.      Is getting the ejector riveted a big deal? Mine looks like it is solid (not like some of the pictures I have seen) where it is fastened it has a good solid
        crimp with metal all the way around the hole in the extractor. The other ones I have seen pictures of look like they were crimped off center so you
        only have a small amount of metal holding the ejector in on one side.

Like I said mine has been perfect so far and just had those two questions, and thanks again for a awesome 22.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Is there any fix for the little spring coming out when you disassemble for cleaning?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#32]
i hear ya buddy, and to be perfectly honest most other gun mfg's wont so much as touch ur gun under its warranty policy is u so much as have a screw diff. than the one it came with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#33]
US_ARMY_SCOUT

It is posible that cleaning could solve the occational double fire.  If it was the barrel or firing pin spring, it would probably  happen more often than twice in 150 rounds. When you are at the range the next time, fire a couple rounds and then take the next shell out of the chamber without firing it and see if there is any mark on the unfired shell from the firing pin, if there is then the spring might be the problem.  Also check to see if the barrel is flush with the breech block, it should not protrude past it.

As far as the ejector, if it's not broke, don't fix it.  Some ejectors will never come loose, and some will come loose the first 500 rounds.  If you start experiencing a lot of light hits or failures to feed or eject, then send it in and we will replace the ejector.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#34]
RAZORSEDGE

There is no actual fix for it, but if you put a little MILTEC lube or grease on it, that will help it stay in place.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#35]
TRIDENT1982

Thanks for the support

Ray
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#37]
raycayton, do you have an email address that you use to address your customers' concerns?  and sir jackal2001, could you update this info on your original post?   thanks to you both.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jackal2001:
Ray,
Are you guys actually riviting the ejectors at your shop or is GSG actually sending you pre-rivited breech-housing shells?  I've never had mine in for any kind of repair, but my ejector has come loose once or twice.  I'd rather just have the part shiped to me if needed in the future.

Jackal,

I previously received the following email from Mike (Ray's colleague):

You can send us the breech body assembly,  We will be replacing the left side of the breech housing.It comes from Germany with the ejector already riveted to it.  We will also replace anything that looks worn.
send your breech to
ATI
ATTN REPAIR DEPT./RAY
100 AIRPARK DRIVE
ROCHESTER N.Y.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#39]
As I recall, Ray told me that the left hand side of the housing is $38, ejector riveted in place.

Prices may have changed, as this was last fall, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was right around the same place.

Hope this helps -
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 1:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sned45] [#40]
I know it's not a technical question but would it be possible to give us an update on the GSG lawsuit?

I was at a gun shop the other day and they are using the lawsuit and high demand for a reason to charge 700 for the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey ray where can i purchase extra 22 rounder springs for the mags? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#42]
jackal2001

We are currently riveting the ejectors here on sight, but previously received left side carriers already riveted.  Once it is riveted it should never come loose again under normal use.

Link Posted: 3/31/2009 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Bizill,

I have two addresses that I use to answer questions, they should already be on this forum, but here they are again.  [email protected] and [email protected] .  These are mine , but they are also the addresses to contact my associate Mike Cummings.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#44]
sned45

I have no update on the law suit, it is still up in the air.  I don't, however see where that would have any bearing on price at this time, unless it actually is affecting supply and demand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#45]
TRIDENT1982

You can purchase 22 round mag springs from us for $3.00 each plus shipping, with either a credit card, cashiers check or money order
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#46]
While cleaning my GSG-5 rifle today, I dropped the grip & trigger assembly & the little tab (in the circled area of the pics) that holds the 1 piece down broke off. Well apparently this little bugger keeps the magazine in place b/c now my mag will not lock in. So I need to know what part it is that  must order please.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/tomnj415/disco06_thumb.jpg
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/tomnj415/disco12_thumb.jpg
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Parts 67 and 38, the brass "rings", on the trigger aren't snug on their "posts".
Is that the way it should be?
The trigger housing on mine keeps them in place but when I pull the trigger assembly out they tend to go rouge.
Just wanting to make sure all is well with my PK!
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By patrickcassidy:
Parts 67 and 38, the brass "rings", on the trigger aren't snug on their "posts".
Is that the way it should be?
The trigger housing on mine keeps them in place but when I pull the trigger assembly out they tend to go rouge.
Just wanting to make sure all is well with my PK!

Those brass bushings are held in place by the trigger housing, so yes, everything is fine with your PK.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Hello Everyone in the repair sticky!

There's some general non technical questions floating around in here that I can answer.  I have a general customer service set up going on here ATI Customer Service for any non technical questions like:
Upcoming products
info on accessories and availability
marketing information
distributor information
warranty registration & questions
any other stuff you might need that doesn't pertain directly to service and repair questions or technical GSG information.

This will be helpful to Ray and Mike so they can focuse on the tech end of the GSG which is their bread and butter.

Head on over to my link for the fulll answers to the non tech questions on this page!

Link Posted: 4/3/2009 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#50]
I know this has been mentioned before but I know I shoot enough it will need to be addressed soon for my rifle. I have close to 1800rounds fired no issues as of yet. I have only had it a few days. My qeustion is this, can you make a general list that could be applied at the begining of this thread for GSG-5 survival parts- example like springs that in the companies testing generally need replacment after so many rounds. I am wanting to get spare parts and don't want to buy what I may not need thank you.Also even a price point on the springs and survival parts would be great I bet alot of us on the board would really start to buy them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top