BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/3/2009 12:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001]
Hello,

My name is Christopher and I am the customer service representative for American Tactical Imports.  I follow this site pretty closely when I have the time, so I figured I'd introduce myself and offer an open invitation for your questions.  There's alot of really good insight on this site but also alot of rumor and speculation so I hope to be able to help clarify things for those of you who would like to know and haven't emailed me from our website already.  Business is very good but also very busy, so please be patient if I don't respond to you right away on everything as i may end up having to use some of my down time away from ATI to answer you.  This forum is obviously just for GSG info, but if you have questions or need info on other ATI products, I will be glad to assist you.

So....what have you got for me?

[email protected]
1-800-290-0065 ext. 153 mon-fri 9am to 5pm EST
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for coming on board.  That says a lot about your company's willingness to help their customers.  I  do sure appreciate it!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Chris will the screw replacement kits being sold void our warranty? What about the hk pins? Do you plan on making a handguard for the PK that has rails on the side and bottom? I assume if you put a removeable grip on the bottom rail it isnt a AOW or SBR? Thanks fo rthe inroduction- welcome to the chaos!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
i cut my bolt jacket back 30-35 thousands. was worried about cracking. now the bolt hits  the breech face like it should, or
does on my other .22's. some say there jacket is 1/16 past there bolt. some say there bolt is past the jacket. any thoughts on
this? i have about 700 rounds through it from when i did this. works perfect.

bigjohn in va.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 1:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: haLfLiFe] [#4]
It would be really nice to have you go over the repairs sticky to let us know if each solution we are coming up with on our own here is going to void the warrenty or not

By the time I end up sending my rifle back to fix every problem it's having during the warrently period,  after the warrent expires is it really going to have the same issues with the bolt cracking later on down the road or is what you are doing to fix this problem a solution or a band aid

Is the fix you are doing as we speak regarding slam fires a solution or band aid

Why is everyone having these problems with screws backing out all over the place How can ATI help aid this problem without us having to be our own gunsmiths and buy after market kits to remedy the issues

I guess my major concern is this rifle is having so many problems on so many levels that us customers are having to send them back too frequently. Most all manufacturers offer call tickets to pick up the cost of shipping when there is a repair to be done under warrenty. I know a lot of people mod these guns but you have to admit this is a week point in your customer service to put the design flaw burdens upon the purchaser's pocket time after time

Link Posted: 3/3/2009 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Ha!  Right out of the gate!

Ok, couple of things first off so we know where we're at.  I can help with a lot of general info and product info.  I am not a trained gunsmith and I am not familiar with a lot of the inner workings of the GSG-5, so for a lot (not all....but most to be honest) of the technical end you will need to contact our gunsmiths Ray and Mike at [email protected] or you can call me at 1-800-290-0065 and I can connect you with them between 9am and 5pm EST.  I really don't want to give wrong information about things I don't know.  I will be in the forum tonight after I get home and will start answering what I can right away, but technical questions about screw kits and cracked bolts do need to go through our parts and service department.  Ray has been trained by German Sport Guns specifically for these matters and I hear they are sending Mike over soon so that he can be officially certified.

so....more tonight everyone, I promise.  And as always, please don't hesitate to call us directly if you need something.

Oh, and I might as well take this opportunity to apologize for my spelling ahead of time, i don't see a spell checker on here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to send in my bolt carrier/bolt in for the warranty fix and I need instructions on how to do this
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 5:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: haLfLiFe] [#7]
If you cannot answer the technical questions then your insight into most of our questions is not going to do us any good.

You should think about having Ray come on here himself to answer these questions, because as far as I can see and from what I have gained in talking to you in the past your knowledge is too limited to answer the real questions that need to be addressed.

We need to get down to specifics here and I don't see how having everyone call Ray is gong to be sufficient. Ray does not have all the time in the world and it can take days if not weeks to hear back from him when dealing in emails or phone messages.

I think this is the time for your business to take the next step in customer service, and it all stems around Ray from what you are saying.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Deadeye, appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By haLfLiFe:

If you cannot answer the technical questions then your insight into most of our questions is not going to do us any good.

You should think about having Ray come on here himself to answer these questions, because as far as I can see and from what I have gained in talking to you in the past your knowledge is too limited to answer the real questions that need to be addressed.

We need to get down to specifics here and I don't see how having everyone call Ray is gong to be sufficient. Ray does not have all the time in the world and it can take days if not weeks to hear back from him when dealing in emails or phone messages.

I think this is the time for your business to take the next step in customer service, and it all stems around Ray from what you are saying.

Dude, that is harsh. He is coming here to offer help, and you tell him that? Show some thanks for them even caring about us...

Link Posted: 3/3/2009 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Christopher,

Thank you for the good news!  I have a question that I hope you can answer.  I sent in my rifle twice before to the Rochester address to repair a cracked barrel face.  Since then, I have a new firing pin, bolt, and barrel.    It's a 1st generation, do I need to send it back for the riveted extractor fix as a precautionary step?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 8:18:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: haLfLiFe] [#11]
Originally Posted By Ridge_Runner_5:

Dude, that is harsh. He is coming here to offer help, and you tell him that? Show some thanks for them even caring about us...

Bro chill out. You wouldn't have half clue as to the grounds I have already covered with Chris. Take it from my stand point, I have been down each road and if you want to avoid hassles and get straight to the point ATI should have sent Ray on here. If you don't like what I have to say, well too bad. 7,000+ posts in just over 2 years, frequent the GD often

There are many issues with this rifle and the best way to get answers to the questions you see on here everyday is to have the man who can give you the answers (Ray), having a cs rep come is cool don't get me wrong, but he cannot answer any questions outside of ordering products and telling you the address to ship your rifle too. I know my place, I am stating the obvious so other GSG owners don't have too. You should really read some back threads and inform yourself of where I am coming from before calling me out.

Every question I listed was legit, you can't argue that. He is the one who is representing ATI and their product, he said ask away with the questions and thats what I did. His OP said nothing about not answering techinical questions, that didn't come unitl the second post. If he can't answer the most important questions about his product, how is it harsh of me to tell him it that Ray should step up and come on here to answer questions

There are so many questions surrounding this rifle and how to fix the flaws/problems we are all encountering. So it woud be really easy to have Ray spend as little as time as possible answering questions, and if he did it on here instead of the phone and emails we could have it as a sticky so future people with the same questions will have instant reference and save Ray many hours of bs he doesn't need to go through. Plus it would put less of a hassle on GSG owners and these stickies could aid us in maybe not having to send our rifle in time after time. How much is that too ask
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SRTgunner:
Thanks for coming on board.  That says a lot about your company's willingness to help their customers.  I  do sure appreciate it!!

Quoted for emphasis.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 8:30:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: haLfLiFe] [#13]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with Halife and have Ray answer some questions and make it a sticky It would benefit all of us and save Ray some time emailing or taking phone calls.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 8:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 775Patriot] [#15]
Originally Posted By DeAdEyE956:
Chris will the screw replacement kits being sold void our warranty? What about the hk pins? Do you plan on making a handguard for the PK that has rails on the side and bottom? I assume if you put a removeable grip on the bottom rail it isnt a AOW or SBR? Thanks fo rthe inroduction- welcome to the chaos!!

"I assume if you put a removeable grip on the bottom rail it isnt a AOW or SBR?"  

If you have two grips(trigger grip and vertical forward grip) on a rifle its fine but, NOT ok on a PK that is still registered as a pistol!!!  Just lookin out for ya!

By the way, Welcome aboard Chris and thanks in advance for any info that can help anyone on this forum. It does say a lot about your company.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#16]
ok, i'm here to do what i can.

Chris will the screw replacement kits being sold void our warranty? What about the hk pins?

To be completely honest, i don't know.  I will review the available warranty info and let you know.  It can be a tricky matter, parts made by other companies.  If you can provide me with specifics on the aforementioned parts I can see.  Of course, GSG parts are made specifically for the GSG and other parts are made specifically for other products so more than likely if you alter you GSG with parts that were not made for it....but i will ask.

Do you plan on making a hand guard for the PK that has rails on the side and bottom? I assume if you put a removable grip on the bottom rail it isn’t a AOW or SBR?

more to follow on the PK hand guard etc........

i cut my bolt jacket back 30-35 thousands. was worried about cracking. now the bolt hits the breech face like it should, or
does on my other .22's. some say there jacket is 1/16 past there bolt. some say there bolt is past the jacket. any thoughts on
this? i have about 700 rounds through it from when i did this. works perfect.

Big John this is great.  Your insight is greatly appreciated.  To answer your question regarding bolt vs jacket placement, i haven't the slightest.  But  I can certainly ask those around me.  Feedback.  Please let me know these things.  I may not have the answers for you right away.  I am here to guide these things.  Please remember that we do not manufacture this firearm but import it.  German Sport Guns has given ATI the honor of being its American representation, and I'm here to help back that up for ATI and GSG.  This site is a place to congregate. It has already been a big help to us and to GSG and I want to perpetuate that assistance.  Did you know that your input here helped create the SD version of the GSG we will have later this year?  Big, this kind of data by the buyers, fans and users of the GSG is invaluable to us.  You bought it, you use it, and you know it back to front.  I will pass this along, thank you.

It would be really nice to have you go over the repairs sticky to let us know if each solution we are coming up with on our own here is going to void the warranty or not

I agree.  Although we are not the manufacturer of this firearm we should still have an available list of what will and will not void the warranty.  There are so many components and variables out there it is hard to judge until we see the firearm to determine if in fact the situation has gone beyond what we might cover, and this of course makes everything hard.  Where there is a lot of info out there about what people have done to their GSG's to modify its behavior there is not much to say what is and is not covered.  Please keep in mind that we will do all we can to help you, not only out of respect for the guns initial intentions, but out of respect for the user and their appreciation.

Why is everyone having these problems with screws backing out all over the place How can ATI help aid this problem without us having to be our own gunsmiths and buy after market kits to remedy the issues

Please let me reiterate that we are the importer and not the manufacturer.  This is not an excuse but a statement for the desire for patience.  The issues that exist that we are capable of addressing and fixing per our training and instruction, we will.  Things that present themselves as the GSG-5 matures and grows will be handled from the ground up as the product moves along.  We are honored and privileged to not only be importing this firearm but to be certified by the company that actually manufactures it for its upkeep and care.  If the thing you’ve mentioned is a problem I assure you it's being addressed not only by our 'smiths but all the way up the chain to not only correct it, but to prevent it

I guess my major concern is this rifle is having so many problems on so many levels that us customers are having to send them back too frequently. Most all manufacturers offer call tickets to pick up the cost of shipping when there is a repair to be done under warranty. I know a lot of people mod these guns but you have to admit this is a week point in your customer service to put the design flaw burdens upon the purchaser's pocket time after time

I understand your point.  Unfortunately, we do not really know the problem with the gun until we can access it first hand. This may be difficult to comprehend.  Still, the firearm is repaired here in the states and not shipped overseas to the maker.  There must always be some give and take.  If it helps the situation, the GSG-5 in its box weighs 9lbs and this may help with with quoting shipping before making a decision.  Our Gunsmiths are trained, efficient and professional, offering the best quality repair if the GSG does not work for whatever reason.  From the importer of the product.  Please contact us for even the smallest issue.

I need to send in my bolt carrier/bolt in for the warranty fix and I need instructions on how to do this

No problem.  Please make sure you have registered your warranty on our website, www.americantactical.us, it's right on the homepage in the bottom right hand corner.  If you want to call ahead please do and I will connect you with Ray and/or Mike.  If not, please give us a detailed account of the issues you are having in a note and ship your GSG to:

ATI Service
100 Airpark Dr
Rochester, NY 14624
ATTN: Ray & Mike

Please feel free to call me at 1-800-290-0065 ex 153 mon-fri 9am to 5pm EST if I can help you directly

...between halflife and ridge runner...

do not fight, I definitely admit that I don't have the immediate answer to the technical aspects of the GSG and I do know these are pressing matters to the folk out there who have spent their money on one of these guns.  I wish I did but I am not going to offer false info.  All I can pledge is to try and move things in the right direction to get those answers and solutions out there.  We are not that old of a company and we, much like GSG are learning a lot as we go.  The most important thing is that we do what we can to offer the best possible service and accommodation to those who have shown us the gratitude and support in making the GSG what it is today.  Both German Sport Guns and American Tactical Imports owe all of you everything.  Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/3/2009 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#17]
now... the truth on the PK foregrip.

There are two foregrips for the PK.

The first is part number GER202223.  This is a combinatin hand guard and fore grip, which will replace the hand guard on the PK.  

The second is part number GER202269.  This is almost exactly the same as the previous except this comes with rails on either side for the mounting of lasers and lights and such.

These are in the country but not really out there yet to our distributors.

The reason for this has to do with this parts classification.  As a solid hand guard and foregrip piece this accessory does change the classification of the PK to an AOW when it is installed.  This then makes this accessory a class three item because it is designed only for the PK and does not work on all models of GSG.  Currently this is the first and only GSG accessory that has this classification.  We have had them for less than 6 weeks.  A few have been sold to our distributors but a very very few.  Last week our field sales reps were finally given these as samples to show to all of our distributors.  The distributors will only be legally able to sell these to class 3 dealers.

This type of accessory is new to us so we have had to make sure it will be handled within the boundries of the law.  As we are are an importer who sells to distributors we have had to make sure that the proper status of it is well noted.  Please bear in mind that despite individual state laws we have to act in accordance with the general distibution on a whole of the said accessory.  Once it is in the hands of our distributors and they have decided on how to best distribute it, it will be available on the general market where it is allowed.

So hang in there!  The PK grip is real!  It's just a going to bit a bit longer.

The regular version has an MSRP of $39.95
The version w/ rails has an MSRP of $53.95

please note these are manufacturer sugested retail prices and pricing may vary in your local market and is not determined or guarenteed by GSG, ATI or the distributors.

and i live in NY and can't even own a PK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#18]
There are so many questions surrounding this rifle and how to fix the flaws/problems we are all encountering. So it woud be really easy to have Ray spend as little as time as possible answering questions, and if he did it on here instead of the phone and emails we could have it as a sticky so future people with the same questions will have instant reference and save Ray many hours of bs he doesn't need to go through. Plus it would put less of a hassle on GSG owners and these stickies could aid us in maybe not having to send our rifle in time after time. How much is that too ask

I agree with Halife and have Ray answer some questions and make it a sticky It would benefit all of us and save Ray some time emailing or taking phone calls.

i most certianlly agree with all of this.  Of course, this does bring into question the situation of posting info in a general way without providing it directly...leaving it potentailly open to interpretaion/misinterpretation which may cause more damage than good.  I hope that the point...from a stand point of proper business can be seen.  But I'll run it by the man.

so you know too, i, obviously i hope the time of post is taken into account, am doing this of my own volition and actually do not have the 'go ahead.'  It's after 9pm here.  I'm not in the office.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I for one will go ahead and thank you Chris for your taking the time to post on this forum - outside of work hours and on your dime so to speak says something about your work ethic in my opinion. Keep your flame shields on, as we will probably beat you senseless before all is said and done, but remember you are family...just like what my 2 older brothers used to tell me growing up as I took my licks...
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Chris thanks for logging on here man.  Even though you state you dont have a lot of tech knowledge, you will fill an unmet need in both acting as a liaison between us and Ray/Mike, and also helping in the areas you can within your responsibility.

Just make sure those IT whores at your office dont firewall your access to ARFCOM!

Welcome and we look forward to working with you.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 10:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridge_Runner_5] [#21]

Bro chill out. You wouldn't have half clue as to the grounds I have already covered with Chris. Take it from my stand point, I have been down each road and if you want to avoid hassles and get straight to the point ATI should have sent Ray on here. If you don't like what I have to say, well too bad. 7,000+ posts in just over 2 years, frequent the GD often

There are many issues with this rifle and the best way to get answers to the questions you see on here everyday is to have the man who can give you the answers (Ray), having a cs rep come is cool don't get me wrong, but he cannot answer any questions outside of ordering products and telling you the address to ship your rifle too. I know my place, I am stating the obvious so other GSG owners don't have too. You should really read some back threads and inform yourself of where I am coming from before calling me out.

Every question I listed was legit, you can't argue that. He is the one who is representing ATI and their product, he said ask away with the questions and thats what I did. His OP said nothing about not answering techinical questions, that didn't come unitl the second post. If he can't answer the most important questions about his product, how is it harsh of me to tell him it that Ray should step up and come on here to answer questions

I have no problem with asking for help from someone more knowledgable in the workings of the weapon, but to just say his presence is pointless because he cant is just rude.

We call the cable company, they send someone out and then you take a dump in his shoes once he gets in the door...not very friendly.

And so what if i do spend time in GD? I also spend time in the Tech forums, the Equipment Exchange, and a couple nice forums that us paying members can enjoy, too...

Chris, I would like to see if there were a possibility of a handguard for the carbine variant that included a sort of vertical grip, similar to the MP-5K or the UMP-45...

Link Posted: 3/3/2009 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is a question Chris may be able to answer since he answered the one about the vertical PK grip so well; Do you have a timeframe on when the SD frontends will be available as an accessory to current GSG-5 owners? That is an accessory i think i'd like to have!
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#23]

I have no problem with asking for help from someone more knowledgable in the workings of the weapon, but to just say his presence is pointless because he cant is just rude.

We call the cable company, they send someone out and then you take a dump in his shoes once he gets in the door...not very friendly.

And so what if i do spend time in GD? I also spend time in the Tech forums, the Equipment Exchange, and a couple nice forums that us paying members can enjoy, too...

Chris, I would like to see if there were a possibility of a handguard for the carbine variant that included a sort of vertical grip, similar to the MP-5K or the UMP-45...

I am not going to even argue with you bro, its not worth the time of day. I am merely stating facts and speaking for the masses. Since your a Gold Star Team member  use your archive to brush up some more on whats the haps with the GSG these days.

I never said Chris' presence was pointless, so please don't put words in my mouth.

How many threads do you see here daily with some type of malfunction/flaw etc etc. Point being Chris has his place and I do appreciate him coming on here to represent ATI for their products and cs service, I have dealt with him over the phone multiple times and he offers great customer service no doubt about it. I have been in CS for 14 years and understand the communication aspect on this forum is what is going to make this rifle prosper. Ray really needs to be involved with the technical issues on here because there are too many too frequently and Chris will just be playing the middle man and that is not going to solve any of the issues and questions we have. That is all I am really asking for is a little from Ray
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I too would like to know about the screw kits and warranty issues...
Chris FYI: A member here put them together because the screws that come with our guns are pretty much crap (prone to backing out, stripping, etc.) Here is a link to his posting: Link Seems like a pretty good deal to all of us here, but I/We would like your input. I'd be happy to purchase one and send it your way for "Testing" or you might want to ask rrages if he'd throw one ya'lls way.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By zul:
Here is a question Chris may be able to answer since he answered the one about the vertical PK grip so well; Do you have a timeframe on when the SD frontends will be available as an accessory to current GSG-5 owners? That is an accessory i think i'd like to have!

Chris,

I would also be interested if you could find out the timeframe on the SD frontends. I am definitely going to be buying one when they are available.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ATICSR_Christopher:
Hello,

My name is Christopher and I am the customer service representative for American Tactical Imports.  I follow this site pretty closely when I have the time, so I figured I'd introduce myself and offer an open invitation for your questions.  There's alot of really good insight on this site but also alot of rumor and speculation so I hope to be able to help clarify things for those of you who would like to know and haven't emailed me from our website already.  Business is very good but also very busy, so please be patient if I don't respond to you right away on everything as i may end up having to use some of my down time away from ATI to answer you.  This forum is obviously just for GSG info, but if you have questions or need info on other ATI products, you can always email me at [email protected] or call me at 1-800-290-0065 and I will be glad to assist you.

My is.......Dude!! this is just the first day....you sure  your up for this?

Props to ATI !!!!.............It'l be interesting to see where this thread goes.........
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey Christopher,

I have a pretty simple question. I bought a GSG-5PK today but the case is broken (big chunk missing by hinge), It was the only one he had and the first 3 digits of the serial # matches the first 3 digits of my ssn.( I took that as a sign). How can I get a new case? Is this possibly covered under warranty(I have to try to get something for free at least once a week)? How much for a new one? If I send you mine will you put new serial # stickers on new case.).

My gun collection is meticulously maintained and this case is driving me bonkers.
I still have the box to my first gun, Marlin model 60 in mint cond. about 15years old.

Also, I wanted a 5P but couldn't find one local, Can I buy just the front end of a 5P?
Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#28]

i most certianlly agree with all of this.  Of course, this does bring into question the situation of posting info in a general way without providing it directly...leaving it potentailly open to interpretaion/misinterpretation which may cause more damage than good.  I hope that the point...from a stand point of proper business can be seen.  But I'll run it by the man.

so you know too, i, obviously i hope the time of post is taken into account, am doing this of my own volition and actually do not have the 'go ahead.'  It's after 9pm here.  I'm not in the office.

I do appreciate your time while in the office and out Chris. Your a stellar CS rep and I have dealt with you at least a dozen times over the phone and emails that account for this. However, you said in your first post that you have been lingering around here for a while before setting up an account....So I know you have seen all the threads with flaws/issues occuring and the multiple questions us owners have.

Having that said, this should have been a red flag for someone at ATI due to the volume of negative threads regarding flaws/issues and all the returns for warrenty repair. The one who can answer all our questions should be the first one to come on here and break the ice (Thus being Ray). This is JMHO, I am not trying to be a dick but I know just dealing in emails and phone calls with Ray is not the answer to broadening your customer base and dealing with flaws/issues under warrenty on a large level. I am not asking Ray to give us solutions for at home fix, but rather direct answers to our day to day questions that he and only he can answer.

It's starts at the lower level, and since it is hard to get in touch with Ray and ask technical questions the only way to really solve these issues with the masses is have him come on here himself. My major point being is if you read all the past issues I have a hard time seeing why ATI would choose you too be the one to ask answer questions in volume when you cannot answer the technical/important issues that make the rifle either worth owning or not. You know there are major problems with the GSG, ATI knows it...so having you come on here only helps those out who need products/or an address to send their rifle too. I know you understand what I am trying to get across, but it's another ball game trying to get the owner of ATI to step up to the plate and do what is right, which is bringing Ray on board to aid in the longevity of this rifle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#29]
woohoo!
Just talked to Christopher and Ray @ ATI. Both great guys. New case is free. And 5p complete front end is less than $150.
Thanks ATI. Great Customer Service.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 4:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: remllez] [#30]
Hello,

My name is Christopher and I am the customer service representative for American Tactical Imports.  I follow this site pretty closely when I have the time, so I figured I'd introduce myself and offer an open invitation for your questions.  There's alot of really good insight on this site but also alot of rumor and speculation so I hope to be able to help clarify things for those of you who would like to know and haven't emailed me from our website already.  Business is very good but also very busy, so please be patient if I don't respond to you right away on everything as i may end up having to use some of my down time away from ATI to answer you.  This forum is obviously just for GSG info, but if you have questions or need info on other ATI products, you can always email me at [email protected] or call me at 1-800-290-0065 and I will be glad to assist you.

Hello and welcome Christopher,

Just a quick non technical question. When a gsg product is sent back to ATI for warranty repair
why is no invoice or note from the gunsmith explaining what was done included when it's returned?

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, here we go.
I'll start off with a bit of learning I got from Ray this morning.  Technicaly speaking, as soon as you replace or swap out internal components, you void your waranty.  If you remove your GSG pin and put in an HK pin, technically void.  Same for the screws.  The manual for the GSG explains the break that you can do without voiding your warranty.  Ray explained to me that many of the screws and parts that people need to replace are ones that involve a further break down than is shown in the manual.  These are then typically the screws that become loose/stripped after the gun is used further.  
Now...that being said, Ray did let me know that if the parts that have been swapped into the gun do not seem damaging (and that sometimes definately seem to improve it for extensive break down, reassembly and usage) tend to be "over looked" in the accessment process in judging if the gun voids warranty or not. So basically, if you're using your gun for a hammer, drilling new holes in it or storing it in a tank of water, you will be charged for us to fix it under your waranty. If you've changed out your screws because you really want to get in there and get a thourough cleaning and the factory ones just won't stay locked tight in place once you're reassembled and then you...lets say...need a riveted extractor...you don't have to worry about us shipping you back an unrepaired gun because of non factory screws.  Ray recommends that when changing parts to give us a call to talk about what you are doing before you do it so that we can at least make sure youre doing it withn acceptable bounds.
disclaimer:  this is not me telling you go crazy and alter your guns.  This is me telling you that when we get a gun in we look for what may have caused the damage so that we can fix it and talk to GSG about what we're seeing in heavily used firearms.  If you've done something to make the GSG better in your eyes that didn't cause the damage/breakage that you have and it's still within legal perameters we won't hold it against you.  We're here to help, not to turn you away.

PK replacement boxes-  if your PK box was damaged in shipping, which tends to happen, we do get replacements in.  I thought that was you Capn on the phone today.  Anyway, we go through them quick because sometimes the seas are rough and we need some for ourselves because we don't ship broken cases to our distributors.  I know we're running real low right now but I have a bunch more coming in on a GSG container later this month and we get them pretty regularily from the factory.

Double Tap-  Double Tap is an interesting thing.  This will happen if you cut your spring.  You will need to talk to Ray about this directly if it's hapening to you.  What we really need to see is a GSG that has not been broken down even once that is doing this.  This is an issue that is being very closely monitored by us and GSG together to get to the bottom of it.  More as the issue develops.  Just remember, no matter what you read out there in cyberspace, cutting springs is against the rules and we know if one has been cut.  Definately a warranty revocation.

SD conversions- to be honest, we don't have a time frame on these yet.  We're going to start to get the AK's and the very first of the limited editions in the aformentioned container later in march.  We will then have regular GSG carbnes, PK's, 5P's, AK's and LTD's on each container every month.  We are hoping to start to see the regular edition (black) SD's as complete guns by the end of summer (we hope).  Realistically, I'd like to think that we will start to see the conversions closer to the end of the year when we will also start to see the 1911's.  Keep in mind that we have 3 new regular release GSG's this year, as well as the previous releases AND all the LTD's to get in, so it's definately gonna be some time for the conversions.  I don't even have a price on them yet.  But GSG told us at Shot that they'd be coming in 09 and they are always good with their word.  I'll tell you too they have really stepped up production.  I can't go into specifics of course but we are getting so much more in so much faster this year, they are working those boys to death!  I do quite a lot on the import end as well as my various other tasks and yeah, from the horses mouth, we're really catching up on the existing back ordersand even though we are only one of the several dozen countries that GSG exports too, our quantities have definately been increased.

Thank you for the good news! I have a question that I hope you can answer. I sent in my rifle twice before to the Rochester address to repair a cracked barrel face. Since then, I have a new firing pin, bolt, and barrel. It's a 1st generation, do I need to send it back for the riveted extractor fix as a precautionary step?

If your gun is definately a Gen 1 and you can suffer through being with out it, by all means sendit in.  The extractor issue has been directly addressed by GSG and we will gladly upgrade you under your warranty.  Give us a call though before you send it in to make sure we have them on hand so that you don't have to wait longer than necessary to get it back.  We get parts fairly regularily from GSG and go through them quickly.  You don't have to wait for it to break for us to upgrade you, just give us a heads up is all.

Just a quick non technical question. When a gsg product is sent back to ATI for warranty repair
why is no invoice or note from the gunsmith explaining what was done included when it's returned?

Not a clue.  I know that when we have to charge you there's an invoice from service with the items on it that you had to pay for, but general warranty repair gives you nothing huh?  I'll run it by them in the morning and let you know.

well, i'm feeling pretty covered on what is in here so far.  Regarding Ray on here, it's his perogative.  Everytime I see Ray he's answering emails, I believe he averages about 40 new ones a day so that occupies alot of his time.  Perhaps once we have another 'smith or two on board he will have more time to join up on places like this. Our gunsmiths do work on all of our imported guns and their focus is on providing quality workmanship on those firearms that have ben shipped back to us in need, that is their main and most important task.  Between my daily CSR stuff, maintaing and processing distributor orders and stuff on the import end of things I don't have alot of extra time myself for things like this at work.  Keep in mind in one years time (Shot 08 to Shot 09) we've gone from a folder with 8 single sided flyers of our products to a full 38 page catalogue (only available at shows because as an importer our product line changes a lot and we always end up having to waste a bunch of them if we mass produce) that's getting bigger all the time. As we continue to grow and continue to add more bodies we will beable diversify our areas of direct and constant communication to our consumers and fans out there.

Ok, it's dinner time.  Cheers

Christopher

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, here we go.
I'll start off with a bit of learning I got from Ray this morning.  Technicaly speaking, as soon as you replace or swap out internal components, you void your waranty.  If you remove your GSG pin and put in an HK pin, technically void.  Same for the screws.  The manual for the GSG explains the break that you can do without voiding your warranty.  Ray explained to me that many of the screws and parts that people need to replace are ones that involve a further break down than is shown in the manual.  These are then typically the screws that become loose/stripped after the gun is used further.  
Now...that being said, Ray did let me know that if the parts that have been swapped into the gun do not seem damaging (and that sometimes definately seem to improve it for extensive break down, reassembly and usage) tend to be "over looked" in the accessment process in judging if the gun voids warranty or not. So basically, if you're using your gun for a hammer, drilling new holes in it or storing it in a tank of water, you will be charged for us to fix it under your waranty. If you've changed out your screws because you really want to get in there and get a thourough cleaning and the factory ones just won't stay locked tight in place once you're reassembled and then you...lets say...need a riveted extractor...you don't have to worry about us shipping you back an unrepaired gun because of non factory screws.  Ray recommends that when changing parts to give us a call to talk about what you are doing before you do it so that we can at least make sure youre doing it withn acceptable bounds.
disclaimer:  this is not me telling you go crazy and alter your guns.  This is me telling you that when we get a gun in we look for what may have caused the damage so that we can fix it and talk to GSG about what we're seeing in heavily used firearms.  If you've done something to make the GSG better in your eyes that didn't cause the damage/breakage that you have and it's still within legal perameters we won't hold it against you.  We're here to help, not to turn you away.

PK replacement boxes-  if your PK box was damaged in shipping, which tends to happen, we do get replacements in.  I thought that was you Capn on the phone today.  Anyway, we go through them quick because sometimes the seas are rough and we need some for ourselves because we don't ship broken cases to our distributors.  I know we're running real low right now but I have a bunch more coming in on a GSG container later this month and we get them pretty regularily from the factory.

Double Tap-  Double Tap is an interesting thing.  This will happen if you cut your spring.  You will need to talk to Ray about this directly if it's hapening to you.  What we really need to see is a GSG that has not been broken down even once that is doing this.  This is an issue that is being very closely monitored by us and GSG together to get to the bottom of it.  More as the issue develops.  Just remember, no matter what you read out there in cyberspace, cutting springs is against the rules and we know if one has been cut.  Definately a warranty revocation.

SD conversions- to be honest, we don't have a time frame on these yet.  We're going to start to get the AK's and the very first of the limited editions in the aformentioned container later in march.  We will then have regular GSG carbnes, PK's, 5P's, AK's and LTD's on each container every month.  We are hoping to start to see the regular edition (black) SD's as complete guns by the end of summer (we hope).  Realistically, I'd like to think that we will start to see the conversions closer to the end of the year when we will also start to see the 1911's.  Keep in mind that we have 3 new regular release GSG's this year, as well as the previous releases AND all the LTD's to get in, so it's definately gonna be some time for the conversions.  I don't even have a price on them yet.  But GSG told us at Shot that they'd be coming in 09 and they are always good with their word.  I'll tell you too they have really stepped up production.  I can't go into specifics of course but we are getting so much more in so much faster this year, they are working those boys to death!  I do quite a lot on the import end as well as my various other tasks and yeah, from the horses mouth, we're really catching up on the existing back ordersand even though we are only one of the several dozen countries that GSG exports too, our quantities have definately been increased.

Thank you for the good news! I have a question that I hope you can answer. I sent in my rifle twice before to the Rochester address to repair a cracked barrel face. Since then, I have a new firing pin, bolt, and barrel. It's a 1st generation, do I need to send it back for the riveted extractor fix as a precautionary step?

If your gun is definately a Gen 1 and you can suffer through being with out it, by all means sendit in.  The extractor issue has been directly addressed by GSG and we will gladly upgrade you under your warranty.  Give us a call though before you send it in to make sure we have them on hand so that you don't have to wait longer than necessary to get it back.  We get parts fairly regularily from GSG and go through them quickly.  You don't have to wait for it to break for us to upgrade you, just give us a heads up is all.

Not a clue.  I know that when we have to charge you there's an invoice from service with the items on it that you had to pay for, but general warranty repair gives you nothing huh?  I'll run it by them in the morning and let you know.

well, i'm feeling pretty covered on what is in here so far.  Regarding Ray on here, it's his perogative.  Everytime I see Ray he's answering emails, I believe he averages about 40 new ones a day so that occupies alot of his time.  Perhaps once we have another 'smith or two on board he will have more time to join up on places like this. Our gunsmiths do work on all of our imported guns and their focus is on providing quality workmanship on those firearms that have ben shipped back to us in need, that is their main and most important task.  Between my daily CSR stuff, maintaing and processing distributor orders and stuff on the import end of things I don't have alot of extra time myself for things like this at work.  Keep in mind in one years time (Shot 08 to Shot 09) we've gone from a folder with 8 single sided flyers of our products to a full 38 page catalogue (only available at shows because as an importer our product line changes a lot and we always end up having to waste a bunch of them if we mass produce) that's getting bigger all the time. As we continue to grow and continue to add more bodies we will beable diversify our areas of direct and constant communication to our consumers and fans out there.

Ok, it's dinner time.  Cheers

Christopher

So your basically saying Ray is not coming on here How long did it take your Boss to make that decision I have a hard time seeing it being Ray's decision.......
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Dear Halflife,

It is my personal decision to be on here.  I am not being commanded and I am not following orders.  Quite frankly I may actually get in trouble for doing this, I have no idea, I'm just trying to help fill a void in an area of customer care. My supervisor's name is Joe and he is not asking me to do this nor is he preventing Ray from being on here.  I'm on here because I check this site for info and have seen a lot of things that I know I can help clear up with official information.  All I can do is relay certian things and give some info on what I know I can share.  Please, help us help you by emailing [email protected] and expresing your concern and need to have our gunsmith come on here.  I am far enough down the food chain that I have little sway in the structure, but I am providing feedback and info to my superiors and you can too.  You have to also remember that nothing will happen over night, so please remember patience.  Trust me, I understand what you are asking but we all have our perameters in which we must do our jobs.  If there are specific things that I can help you with or specific technical questions you need answers to please by all means call me during our working hours and I and all of our staff will do what we can to best help you.  I hope to hear from you.

Christopher
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Not to hijack, but my Carbine has been slam firing lately. I only have 200-300 rds thru it. Is there anything *I* can do for a repair short of sending it in for factory repair?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#36]
...Oh and while I'm back on here one last thing,

Jackyl'01 you're the man for moderating this forum.  GSG and ATI have both accumulated quite a bit from the users in this forum and will continue to do so.

I do have one question. Starting around Februrary 2010, the first GSGs will be starting to go out of warrany. I hope you will be selling parts as needed for customers that have breakage. Nothing mechanical will last forever.

To answer this for you, we already do.  In our parts and repair center as we like to call it, we curently offer full service warranty repair (as you know) and replacement/spare parts.  If it's an internal component you need, wether you're under warranty or not, call us because if we have the part we can give it to you.  Need an extra barrel?  Need a new fake suppressor because you've accidentally scrached yours?  Need replacement springs because one flew off and landed under the bench and you can't find it?  Call us. Email us.  Write us some snail mail.  Contact us for any non accessory part and we can get it because we offer maintence service for the GSG here in the States.  We do all of this out of our facility in Rochester, NY.

And always, 9am to 5pm EST, 1-800-290-0065, ex 153, that's me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Not to hijack, but my Carbine has been slam firing lately. I only have 200-300 rds thru it. Is there anything *I* can do for a repair short of sending it in for factory repair?

you need to call us about this.  I'm sorry but not only do I need to ensure that you get the proper information regarding this but we need to ensure it is properly handled within the boundries of care for the GSG.  You may be able to fix this yourself, I do not know.  Call me between 9am and 5pm EST at 1-800-290-0065 ex 153 and let me know what is happening and I will make sure you can speak with Mike or Ray.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Not to nit pick but most firearm companies "one year warranty" is always a legal/liability thing.

I've never once been turned down for warranty work on a firearm that had an issue and has been out of the one year warranty.

I hope ATI follows the same path as these guns start to fall out of the "one year warranty".

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for joining the forum.  I emailed a few weeks ago about needing a chamber insert, since my GSG didn't have one in the box.  Lo and behold, an envelope from you guys showed up the other day.  Thanks again for great service.

I'm guessing Ray is too busy working on guns to handle computer stuff directly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Dear Halflife,

Please, help us help you by emailing [email protected] and expressing your concern and need to have our gunsmith come on here.  

Christopher

Now were getting somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MillerSHO:
Not to nit pick but most firearm companies "one year warranty" is always a legal/liability thing.

I've never once been turned down for warranty work on a firearm that had an issue and has been out of the one year warranty.

I hope ATI follows the same path as these guns start to fall out of the "one year warranty".

Great point, I would like to hear his feedback on this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#42]
There is light in the future for getting technical questions answered on here from Ray. He is headed our way soon....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=272471

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MillerSHO:

Great point, I would like to hear his feedback on this.

Mine has a "Limited Two Year Warranty".
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Call me between 9am and 5pm EST at 1-800-290-0065 ex 153 and let me know what is happening and I will make sure you can speak with Mike or Ray.

Called & Mike was a HUGE help!  

He's sending me a new firing pin & firing pin spring to deal with the slam fire issues. He also gave me some clues to check on the barrel setback depth.

Thanks for the quick help!!!!    

Link Posted: 3/14/2009 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Warranty and warranty expirations.

When the warranty expires on your gun, things that are potential issues will be looked at on an individual basis.  We're obviously not going to say to you that if something breaks and it is a design issue or manufacturing issue that you'll have to fork out some cash to get us to fix it.  The the riveted ejector issue, that has been clearly identified by GSG and ATI as an original design problem.  We have a fix as fail policy towards these as that way we can turn guns around quicker to everyone instead of having a thousand stacked up guns.  Now if your warranty expires and your ejector fails post-warranty, it's still covered.  Once your warranty, which is a two year warranty, expires we will look at your gun if it is having issues and let you know on an individual gun basis of what we can still do and what we can't at no cost to you.  Our goal is complete customer satisfaction so we're not going to be miserly regarding a fix.

It is important to us on the production end though that you make sure you've registered your gun before you send it to us.  This way we can track issues that guns may have in conjunction with their initial production schedule to best assertain if the problem you may be having is isolated or might actually be wide spread.  This will then help us keep a record of certian problems that may become permanent no cost fixes.

You can always contact us directly if you think you may need technical help or information to help keep your GSG running smoothly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Questions taken from the technical stickey:

this isn't really a technical question but in order to avoid rumors, I'd like to ask you, what are the 2009 plans for ATI and GSG? what guns will be be looking for on the shelves in the coming months? AK? AR? FN? are there any other designs currently in the motions of being built as 22 clones?

Very soon we will receive the AK-47's in both the black synthetic (like the GSG) and wood.  We were hoping we would have these in March  but we are, alas, not able to import the GSG's if they are not finished being manufactured.  I know that GSG had hoped to have them to us sooner as well based on the talks we had during Shot but all parties involved would never want to rush a gun onto the market with out proper manufacturing.  We hope to have these in our next container.  The SD's are looking like late summer releases now.  The 1911 pistol is definately a late 09.  We should hopefully have those imported by December.  That's the styles set for right now, we want to focus on those, as well as our current modles for the time being.  If there will be any new versions for 2010 I'm sure GSG will let us know around Shot time again as of course it is THE place for new products to be unvieled.  Also too, I'm sure that GSG doesn't want to spread themselves too thin with a ton of different models.  They're growing very rapidly, but it's always good to keep realistic manufacturing goals.

Wanting to know when the gsg-5pk front grip (simular to mp5k) with be availiable in the U.S, and when will they ship, and whom will be the distributor.

PK Grip info-my post on this is toward the bottom of page 1
Our distributors AmChar Wholesale and Bill Hicks have ordered these from us so far.  Get those part numbers in the aformentioned link to your dealers!!!

Does ATI have any plans to include these on a pistol straight from the factory?

Importing AOW's is very hard and costly.  The tarriff fees alone would greatly increase the cost of the firearm not to mention the added tax stamp fee.

I know it's not a technical question but would it be possible to give us an update on the GSG lawsuit?

I was at a gun shop the other day and they are using the lawsuit and high demand for a reason to charge 700 for the rifle.

This is an unfortunate part of business of course.  As little as I know in regards to this, my boss Joe told me I can say that there is no cease and desist involved with this situation right now.  GSG is still pumping out the guns and we're still importing as many as we can every single month.  It is the dealers right to determine their retail cost for their stores.  The suggested retail pricing for the GSG is exactly that, a suggested guide toward market value but nothing set in stone.  One of the most important functions of MSRP is that online retailers are not allowed to sell below that pricing, giving the dealers who take on the overhead involved in having a store and on hand staff to take care of you personally the ability to maintain their pricing based on what will ultimately be profitable for them so that they continue to offer service.  It's an unfortunate thing that they would justify their price points with inaccurate information, but these things do happen.  If you ever have any questions regarding information that's floating around out there, ask me and I'll give it to you straight.

Keep 'em coming guys!

Christopher

Link Posted: 4/3/2009 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Chris,

I have the "Exploded Parts View" poster for the GSG-5, but there is no legend that corresponds to the part numbers.

Do you know where I can find the legend that puts a part name with the part numbers in the Exploded parts poster?

Thanks for your help...
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By skysoldier1:
Chris,

I have the "Exploded Parts View" poster for the GSG-5, but there is no legend that corresponds to the part numbers.

Do you know where I can find the legend that puts a part name with the part numbers in the Exploded parts poster?

Thanks for your help...

That would be very useful... someone must have it somewhere

Keith
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By uk_biker99:
Originally Posted By skysoldier1:
Chris,

Thanks for your help...

That would be very useful... someone must have it somewhere

Keith

It would also help to see a price for each part and instructions on how to order.

thanks again........
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#50]

I have this, although the pricing isn't exactly complete because we haven't had to get everythiong on it.  Unfortunately it's on a spread sheet and I'm not the most computer friendly person (such as I can't even figure out how to put a picture of me on my posts :P)  I can email it to you though if you contact me at [email protected] if you can talk me through putting a 4 page spread sheet up here I'll do that too.

You may get these parts by emailing me, ray and mike at [email protected] or by calling us at 1-800-290-0065.

Thanks!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top