[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 8:00:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 8:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#15]
i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/brokenparts/troubleshooting1.jpg

The 3 screws pictured here is it suggested to seperate the housing and tighten and loctite them from the get go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 8:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#16]
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Should these screws be replaced w/ better quality, or is quality not the issue. Since GSG has changed the length of the 3 screws on the Gen.2 series, should Gen 1 owners consider cahnging to a longer screw?
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By jackal2001:
Broken Bolt Top Cover

Broken Outer Shell

One instance of the outer shell breaking happened as well.  The top cover coming loose may have attributed to this failure as well.
i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/brokenparts/broken_housing1.jpg

i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/brokenparts/broken_housing2.jpg

This has happened to me on two occasions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I contacted Ray Caton at AMCHAR and he was very helpful.  He sent me out the infamous "MISSING/FLYING SPRING" and as a precautionary measue, I ordered a spare, just in case...

Very nice guy, easy to deal with.

Kudos to Ray!  

Link Posted: 9/29/2008 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Just a note to say thank you for all your guidance.  Took my GSG to the range yesterday, and had it blue locktighted all screws you suggested, and ran 400 rounds through it.  It ran flawless, not a single FTF, stovepipe, etc.  I think I'm in Love.

Cheers!

Bill McCoy
 Altus, OK
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank God for this forum.  I just got my GSG-5 and broke it down for the initial cleaning, when, yep...there it was...the little mystery spring laying on my white towel hat
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Just checking when you say narrow front and wide back for the springs.. you mean back as in back of the rifle (so wide  bit of spring goes closest to the stock

Thanks

Andy
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#25]
How can I tell if I have a Gen. 1 or Gen. 2 model?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cfd33:
How can I tell if I have a Gen. 1 or Gen. 2 model?

I found this elsewhere.    

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I shot my GSG-5P for the first time today. Shot 100 rounds of CCI and have 5 or 6 misfeeds. The bullet wouldnt follow the ramp properly and smash the front end of the bullet. Not sure whats causing this... any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HKmaniac:
I shot my GSG-5P for the first time today. Shot 100 rounds of CCI and have 5 or 6 misfeeds. The bullet wouldnt follow the ramp properly and smash the front end of the bullet. Not sure whats causing this... any ideas?

There's a post somewhere about which ammo works better than others & which ones to avoid. There's boo-coo variations in .22 ammo these days, something I've learned the hard way with my S&W Model 41.    

The other ammo post mentioned using Federal .22 ammo for good results, FWIW. I just happened to have a box of it at home.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 10:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: charliez] [#29]
Adding Ejector issue, this apparently happens once you've fired 500-1000 rounds through it. The ejector comes loose due to failure of the spot/point weld.
The fix is a rivet as noted in this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=262405
Contact ATI / Ray if you have this problem and in need of repair.

ETA: another thread on this http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=261460
The rivet repair/fix:

Spot weld potential point of failure:

Link Posted: 12/28/2008 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#30]
It is not a spot-weld at all.Just an interference fit with a peen in the middle of the post to spread the metal tight.

That is a a bad idea to hold an ejector in place.Of course it will come loose after time.

Mine came loose after only 100 rounds fired.

Link Posted: 12/29/2008 3:16:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By charliez:
Adding Ejector issue, this apparently happens once you've fired 500-1000 rounds through it. The ejector comes loose due to failure of the spot/point weld.
Contact ATI / Ray if you have this problem and in need of repair.

so, considering this WILL happen, not when...  do we just sent Ray the carrier-group?  i don't know what's involved with sending a whole gun (legally especially) or the costs or how long it will take.

i've noticed too, that my barrel is not parallel with the rifle proper.  the rails are paralell to the upper, but the barrel is ... a bit off.  which makes zeroing any scope goto the extreme range of the scope's potential elevation.  minor, but annoying.

still, i'm liking the thing a lot.  though, if someone local (F2F) offers what i paid for everything, i might not say no.  that's some good money towards a FAL :)

and yet...  i'll fire a few thousand rounds more, and see what gives.

Holo

Link Posted: 1/7/2009 8:32:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bubbasuwannee] [#32]
Mine is loose I put less than 1000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Desertguide:
Just a note to say thank you for all your guidance.  Took my GSG to the range yesterday, and had it blue locktighted all screws you suggested, and ran 400 rounds through it.  It ran flawless, not a single FTF, stovepipe, etc.  I think I'm in Love.

Cheers!

Bill McCoy
 Altus, OK

That's the best news I've heard in awhile. I'm hoping to get off my butt & get to the range today & see how well I do after locktighting my screws.

Link Posted: 1/21/2009 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I have had similar problems with CCI but have found that packing or tapping the bullets to the back of the mag just before I use them improves their function greatly. These magazines tend to let the bullets move around alot. I shoot CCI out of my GSG-5 rifle and my GSG-5P pistol.

Link Posted: 2/2/2009 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jackal2001:
[div style='text-align: center;']Broken Bolt Top Cover</center id=center>
[div style='text-align: center;']Broken Outer Shell</center id=center>

Out of the thousands of weapons that are out there, only a handfull of serious problems have come up.  This is due to those three top cover screws coming loose.  These are the same three screws that are seen in the picture above. This is why it is very important to check to make sure those screws are tight.  Again please Blue Locktite them in there and check them periodically.

There have been a few that have had the bolt top cover crack.
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/brokenparts/broken_topcover1.jpg

One instance of the outer shell breaking happened as well.  The top cover coming loose may have attributed to this failure as well.
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/brokenparts/broken_housing1.jpg

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/brokenparts/broken_housing2.jpg

I have already posted a preventative mod for the broken jacket problem.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By arstudiomaster:

I have had similar problems with CCI but have found that packing or tapping the bullets to the back of the mag just before I use them improves their function greatly.

This should be done with any gun, IMO.    

Link Posted: 3/3/2009 1:19:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: knedrgr] [#37]
my PK's mag release lever just broke.  Something in the mechanism just broke, not the actual handle.  It won't hold the mag in place.

Sent Ray an email and will see what he says.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 9:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: babirl] [#38]
Originally Posted By BobCole:
Originally Posted By HKmaniac:

There's a post somewhere about which ammo works better than others & which ones to avoid. There's boo-coo variations in .22 ammo these days, something I've learned the hard way with my S&W Model 41.    

The other ammo post mentioned using Federal .22 ammo for good results, FWIW. I just happened to have a box of it at home.

Damn, just discovered this ejector failure after my a range trip w/ problems (makes sense now).     (Approx. 400-500 rounds to the best of my recollection).

Kind of sad because this is a fun little rifle and it's been flawless previously.

Oh well, guess I'll make contact, ship it and hope for the best.  How's customer service been lately?

B2

Oh well, we have some Spike's rifles/uppers to hold us over on .22LR.  

ETA:  Sent for repair.  Returned about 1 week after receipt so they're turning them around pretty quick.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 8:23:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smguser] [#39]
Confession time. I bought a used GSG-5. It was pretty cheap, and I thought I was lucky to get one. I promptly took it out and shot it. It worked fine, I put about 200 rounds downrange without a problem. A few days later I started looking through these threads. I went and bought the screws to replace the stock ones. While I had it apart, I cleaned it all up. Everything went back together well, with no problems. But today, I was looking here about the ejector issues. Knowing that I had a second generation rifle, I didn't pay much attention to this problem, mostly because I had a good shooting session with the gun earlier. But, curiosity got the better of me, and I looked at my rifle. I saw that the ejector plate is completlely gone! The rivet is there, but the plate is gone. So I took the rifle apart and looked at the bolt housing. It looks to me like the ejector plate is captive in the housing as long as the housing is together. So I figured the ejector plate must have come off while I was scrubbing the carrier halfs while cleaning them. I looked all over the garage, and I can't find the plate. Is it possible that it was never there? Maybe it was malfunctioning for the original owner, and that's why he\she sold? Will  Ray at ATI help me, or am I screwed? Does anyone know if I can get just the plate, and fix it myself? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I didn't think it would run without that part. So I figured I must have lost it. I'll call Ray tomorrow. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#42]
When you say the ejector becomes loose, how loose is it?  I mean, I've noticed a very slight wobble with the ejector plate today when cleaning.  I didn't want to grab it too hard and start twisting it around and really mess it up.  Does this thing need to be rock solid and tight with no movement at all?  I did notice last weekend at the range that towards the end of my shooting session I had three FTE's while having a round stiil trying to chamber at the same time.  This resulted in the round trying to chamber to actually bend somewhat.  Never had this happen before with the approximately 2K rounds fired. Does this sound like the ejector starting to fail?  I hope I'm making some sense here.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#43]
When you say the ejector becomes loose, how loose is it? I mean, I've noticed a very slight wobble with the ejector plate today when cleaning. I didn't want to grab it too hard and start twisting it around and really mess it up. Does this thing need to be rock solid and tight with no movement at all?

Yes, there shouldn't be any movement ... Sounds like it time to call Ray
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Im picking up my gsg-5 this week.  I have a question as for a .22 rifle boresnake on the gsg-5 is it good to go?  Im looking to pick one up but just want to make sure, Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Just like everything else in here, I got one because everybody else got one, so you may as well get one too.

Seriously though, I've heard that they were the way to go from other friends long before the GSG came to be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#46]
just cleaned my PK with the boresnake I have from my 10/22.  It's awesome.  Although, if you have too much lead in the barel, then it won't work too good.  Then you'll need a rod to push the lead through.  Only have about 500 rounds and it was gunked up.  Thunderbolt is way too dirty.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey, I just got my GSG-5P. I have had great luck with the Winchester Xpert High Velocity Hollow Point firing at 1280 fps. I have also had great luck with CCI mini mags and subsonic. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on suppressors. I hear Gem-Tech is supposed to be making or has made an adapter to fit a suppressor onto the GSG-5. Would you recomend the adapter or would you just send off the gun to a reliable gunsmith and have the barrel sleeved and threaded?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RazorsEdge] [#48]

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I sent my bolt/carrier in for the extractor rivet repair and just received it back –– Looks much improved and that should fix the issue permanently.

Ray and his guys are doing a good job fixing an unfortunate design flaw.  FWIW, I got it back one week after they received it so they're not messing around.

B2

jackal2001:  Thanks for all the effort you put in around here!    
I'm going to implement some of your other recommendations and get this little rifle back to a 100% shooter.  They certainly are fun and it never fails to get an interested shooter when I take it... Most want, err, "need" one after they run a mag or two through it.

As a "leave behind" I used QUIB'S BOLT AND CARRIER CLEANING PROCEDURE and it seems to work fantastic on the carrier group.  (Work's great on the ARs and other stuff as well...)
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Forgive me, for I have sinned.

I chose to go with the ammo that could be had, rather than the right stuff.

I'm using Winchester WildCat.

It shoots well - it's accurate - it's (fairly) inexpensive ($19.95 for a 500 round brick at Bass Pro)

It also leaves a pretty bad lead residue.

You wouldn't believe what kind of fouling I cleaned out of my toy.

Forgive me, oh St. Heston, I will be true and use only Federal Bulk from now.

Please, grant Wally World pallets-full of Federal Bulk, that I may continue to shoot and not befoul my GSG5.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top