Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#15]
To me, the GSG-5 felt front heavy, too front heavy. So I decided to do the Great Stuff
mod. But before doing so, I sprayed what I thought was the amount it would take to
fill the stock and let it set to see how much I would need to spray and for how long
(seems like about an 8 count).

While I liked the density and knew it would solve part of the problem, I felt it would
still be too front heavy. So I grabbed my change jar and started dropping in pennies
until I felt the bottom had more than enough weight. Then I started taking a few out
and adding them back to see what felt right. Turns out, IMO, that 50 pennies seemed
to be just the right amount. So, with the opening facing up I made sure all 50 had
been shaken down to the bottom flat and evenly distributed over the entire base, and
keeping the stock upright I sprayed in the stuff.

I let it set for about 2 minutes and then shook it from side to side and some of the
pennies were still able to move so I shoved the straw dispenser as deep as I could,
stirred it around and then gave it another 3 second spray. Then continued to shake if
from side to side until the pennies were no longer moving.

It feels great now. I could have added more pennies and still not been completely
balanced, but I feel much better about it than before. I woudl recommend this to
anyone, its very easy to do, just make sure to be careful with the stuff. Saying that is
extremely sticky stuff is an understatement.

And of course you dont have to use pennies, you could use anything with some added
weight, it's just what I had available.

Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slimsdizz] [#16]
you were right 500 rounds and it starts light striking aquilla seems to be horrible CCI works fine still no subsonix ever. are you offering a kit to fix the problem at this time.

the can has a 14mm thread that rotates counter clock correct? what cans do you recomened that will swap faux of course
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 5:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emc002] [#17]
Tried the M74B laser w/mod... EPIC FAIL (by me at least).

The heat generated by the Dremeling fried the laser.  $35 down the drain.
Be careful and Dremel slowly, not allowing the laser to heat too much.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:41:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnStoner] [#18]
Has anyone tested the cocking tube laser through 500+ rounds to make sure the laser holds zero??  I have 2 on the way and can do the test/report, just wondering if its already out there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#19]
not had many but had the odd round not fire (light strike) was thinking about doing your mod , and wondered how is it holding up.. stick work ?

Andy

Link Posted: 7/24/2008 3:55:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#20]
Just wonder how your mod has been holding up as I am thinking about do your mod this weekend?

Best

Andy
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 7:25:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#21]
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#22]
thread failure.  i just see a bunch of these ...
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Me too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Ok, my lasers came in and I've installed one in my Gen 1 GSG-5.  This weekend I have a buddy coming out and we'll run it through the ringer.  Will have a report in on the laser holding zero after 500-1000 rounds come Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#25]
New here so bear with me. I have seen numerous references to Gen 1 GSG-5's, is there a SN range or characteristics that I should know that will each generation?

Thanks in advance,

Jack
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 12:12:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnStoner] [#27]
Just got back from the range, put about 400 rounds through it.  Fired semi slow and mag dumped as fast as I could pull the trigger.  The sun was in my face, so I shot it at 10 yard (the furthest I could see the laser in the light).  2 groups were shot of 20 each, firing from a steady position, 1 by me and 1 by my buddy.  It shot 2 inches low and varied left/right of center 1".  His group had the same result.  I'll be going back out when it' dark to shoot @ 25 yards, but off center windage wise @ 10 yards doesn't have me expecting much =\.  I'll post back with an edit with update later today.

Edit: regarding the bullets shooting 2 inches low, I measured from barrel to laser, at 10 yards it shouldn't be that low.  

Second edit: Good news, I shake like a kid on a sugar high, my earlier findings were flawed.  From bench rest @ 25 yards in lower light conditions the laser is accurate and hits the same place zeroed on Friday.  For those on the fence about consistency, go for it.  The laser holds zero past 500 shots.  Make sure to follow the instructions - use an o-ring a bit smaller in diameter than the one supplied and you're golden.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By JohnStoner:
Has anyone tested the cocking tube laser through 500+ rounds to make sure the laser holds zero??  I have 2 on the way and can do the test/report, just wondering if its already out there.

I already replyed to your personal message but here it is for the rest who is interrested.

The laser is rock solid in my GSG, I did make a little mod to it, when releasing the cocking tube the laser would sometimes fail to work.
The batteries did not make good contact with the endcap of the laser unit because of the blow, I took a spring from a ballpoint and cut 1/3 of, this part I put between the endcap of the laser and the batteries.
The laser endcap has a little notch that holds the spring in place, so problem solved.
I did zero the laser ones and it still holding (after 1000+ rounds).
The desingn makes it solid, the 3 adjustment srews hold each other in place, tighten them well (don't over do it) and you wil have no problem with this laser.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Barrel mod :
A hell of a job, but the success is there!  Due to barrel/chamber problems, retractor problems and miss-fires, I took a lot of time to machine a new barrel+fitting to overcome a lot of problems.

What did I do :
I cut off the last 25mm of the barrel(chamber side), made a new .22LR chamber inside the barrel, and machined the rest of the barrel as original. (I also had to shorten the extention tube by 25mm).

Trick is that the M9*1 CCW original barrel-thread, has been replaced by a M11*1 CW thread. Due to this the chamder ridge/edge went from 1mm to 3 mm ! This allowed me to make the retractor groove better to fit the retractor clip in the breech body and made a much stronger chamber for the 22LR ammo!

Since I did not want to change the fitting block the barrel fit’s in, I made a new aluminum version and made a M11*1 thread in it. (full day work…. pffffff).

The result is astonishing: firing 1000+ CCI Mini Mag, not a singe scratch or damage could be found on the barrel, the retractor of elsewhere. Even not one miss-fire !

I informed Michael Swoboda on this……… for everyone who want’s to do this : take your time !

Link Posted: 8/10/2008 11:18:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1776-1865_RIP] [#30]
Any chance you have step buy step pics of the barrel fab?
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By erikvdaa:
Barrel mod :
A hell of a job, but the success is there!  Due to barrel/chamber problems, retractor problems and miss-fires, I took a lot of time to machine a new barrel+fitting to overcome a lot of problems.

What did I do :
I cut off the last 25mm of the barrel(chamber side), made a new .22LR chamber inside the barrel, and machined the rest of the barrel as original. (I also had to shorten the extention tube by 25mm).

Trick is that the M9*1 CCW original barrel-thread, has been replaced by a M11*1 CW thread. Due to this the chamder ridge/edge went from 1mm to 3 mm ! This allowed me to make the retractor groove better to fit the retractor clip in the breech body and made a much stronger chamber for the 22LR ammo!

Since I did not want to change the fitting block the barrel fit’s in, I made a new aluminum version and made a M11*1 thread in it. (full day work…. pffffff).

The result is astonishing: firing 1000+ CCI Mini Mag, not a singe scratch or damage could be found on the barrel, the retractor of elsewhere. Even not one miss-fire !

I informed Michael Swoboda on this……… for everyone who want’s to do this : take your time !

www.tddonline.nl/ar15/Barrel.jpg

www.tddonline.nl/ar15/Barrel2.jpg

www.tddonline.nl/ar15/House.jpg

Now that's some great work!

Too bad GSG didn't do it that way to begin with.

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#32]
The firing pin, screw replacements and the buffer stop, are these mods you are suggesting should be done?
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 1:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#33]
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been informed that the front part of the cocking tube where the laser sight screws in CAN NOT BE REMOVED on a Gen 2 rifle.

Something to keep in mind. I buggered mine up with a pair of vise grips trying to get it off before someone told me
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#35]
height=8
Originally Posted By Beers78n9:
To me, the GSG-5 felt front heavy, too front heavy. So I decided to do the Great Stuff
mod.

Good idea but be carefull.  I tried this myself yesterday and ended up screwing my stock up instead.  You have to be very carefull when you fill the thing up, DO NOT OVERFILL.  After putting my pennys in they would not stop rattling so I continued to add foam, I guess i put too much.  I had foam coming out the buttplate, the sling holes, and the top.  So after getting this sticky crap all over the stock I used the only recommended cleaning solution which was acetone.  Unknown to me but acetone melts plastic so my stock looks like shiester now.  So try this mod at your own risk.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 3:04:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#36]
I did the mod (cutting 4 links off)  I am not sure which way to put the spring back in it has a metal insert in one end does that touch the firing (market "E") or does it go the end (market "D") in your pic it look like it at the D but I really what to be sure...

Man I really tried to take my time a watch the position and orientation but did seem to do a great job at spotting stuff Hmmm

Best

Andy
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Andy, the plunger goes forward in the bolt cover as seen in the pics and the spring rests directly on top of the firing pin.
I had problems with that one as well when I did my 1st firing pin upgrade!
Regards,
Your "Colonial Cousin"

Link Posted: 10/11/2008 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#38]
how come the gen 2 end cap does not screw off?any wat to adopt the laser to the gen 2?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#39]
thanks man.. thats what I did but great to have it confirmed

cheers

Andy

Originally Posted By CapitalOrdnance:
Andy, the plunger goes forward in the bolt cover as seen in the pics and the spring rests directly on top of the firing pin.
I had problems with that one as well when I did my 1st firing pin upgrade!
Regards,
Your "Colonial Cousin"

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 12:17:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MOA05] [#40]
Originally Posted By jackal2001:
Ejector Plate Fix using flat head screw instead of rivet. - by 00boto

On one of my GSG's, I used an M2 counter sunk flat head which is just as solid as a rivet. You can get all of the hardware needed for this job at www.mcmaster.com.

Hardware Needed -

Drill Press or Hand Drill (if you feel like you can hold a hand drill straight)
M2x.4 Drill and Tap Set (Drill bit is usually a 1.60mm drill bit)
4mm drill bit
M2x0.4x6mm Flat Head Screw

Finished Product Below

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/00boto/GSG001.jpg

Instructions

1. Drill 1.50-1.60mm (drill that comes with tap) hole in center of circular tab. The tabs are not quite punched in the center so take your time and get the hole centered and straight.

2. Tap the hole with M2x0.4 tap. Use oil while running the tap through the hole

3. Use 4mm drill bit to counter sink ejector plate so that the flat head screw will sit flush with the ejector plate.

3. Use M2x0.4x6mm flat head screw with RED loctite to secure the screw. You don't want to ever have to remove this screw so use RED.

Hope this helps!

I just fixed mine per your idea and I wanted to check the picture because I may have drilled it to far back on the firing pin. Now there is no picture for me to check it. Can you repost it?

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: V1Vr] [#41]
Decided to post a run down of mod's/enhancments I did to my new GSG-5.  Had it about a week, put about 500 rounds through it.  Flawless operation and very accurate.

On day one I completely dis-assembled the gun (following Jackal's excellent instructions) and cleaned all the factory oil and lube from all parts. I went back with Rem. Dry lube and some strategic drops of Rem.Oil.  Also used a small dab of grease on the drop-safety spring, since it is captive on both sides and will effect the "feel" and smoothness of the trigger's 1st stage operation .  
I Re-assembled the gun with Blue lock-tite on all screws in the frame, barrel, breech-slide and trigger. (Most important step of all)

I removed the magazine safety, but that tuned out to be a mistake. It resulted in  magazines being very loose and wobbly when inserted into the gun, so much so, that not only was it annoying, but it would effect the feed  of bullets into the gun, IMHO.  I put the magazine safety back in, and would not recommned removing it.  The magazines were steady as a rock after putting it back again.

While I was in there I did a few other things.   In the frame I noticed that the guide-rod, for  the charging-handle spring, rotated and rattled in the frame where it sits.  That caused the charging handle spring to have roughness in it's operation and a cheap "slinky" sound when cocked.
To fix this I simply tucked some small pieces of dense foam around the rod.
Cocking of the gun now operates smoothly, with no movement of the rod and no cheap sounds.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5011.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5012.jpg

Next I decided to make a buffer, as others have done, for the charging handle, so it would not slam into it's slot in the frame when released.  
In the plumbing Dept. at Home Depot, I found a couple items that were the proper 11/16" outer diameter size, that worked perfect.  The (Danco brand 3/8L faucet stem repair) beveled washer and o-ring, stacked together make a buffer with a little "cush" for the cocking tube to travel forward into, without damaging the handle or frame, and it eliminates any cheap metalic noise when the handle moves forward after cocking the gun.  I was able to install these items, without seperating the frame halves, by inserting them horizontaly, into the cocking-handle slot, and then turn them into position, and used the charging tube to "ram-rod" them into position, with a couple pulls and releases.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5020.jpg
The pieces are oriented like on the pencil tip below, the cocking tube hits the o-ring.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/CopyofIMG_0680.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5019.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5013.jpg

Next, I decided to polish the key parts that make for a really smooth semi-auto firearm.  The trigger sear, hammer, and breech slide.  I used a 3-piece manicure file set that you can buy for $1.50 at most any store that has a beauty/grooming isle.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5009.jpg

With these files you can safetly polish any metal surface to a mirror finish, without worrying about changing the real shape or profile of the hammer or sear.  I did the sear and associatied hammer release surfaces (no pics) and the bottom edge of the breech-slide and hammer-face contact surfaces.  These meet everytime the slide cycles to cock the gun'ss hammer.  

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5002.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5004.jpg
hard to see mirror finish
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5010.jpg

The result is buttery smooth operation of the charging (cocking) handle, trigger pull, and firing-cycle operation of the gun. And a neat little rifle that will stay together for years to come....

These target were 30 yards standing(right) and 60 yards resting arm (left)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/watsongrg/GSG-5003.jpg

All I can say is WOW, with a big smile on my face.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 11:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: knedrgr] [#42]
15-round mag into 24-round mag

I got fed up with not being able to find any 22-round mags for my PK.  So I purchased a 15-round mag at the range the other day.  They had about 9 of them there.  After reviewing the mag, I came up with an idea.  I modded it to take 24 rounds.  That's right, 24 rounds!

DISCLAIMER.  Check you own State's law before proceeding.  Mod at your own risk.  I'm not responsible for your action or decision.  

You'll need:
One (1) 15-round mag.  
The GSG tool that came with your riffle/pistol.
A 9/64 drill bit and an electric drill.
A Dremel cutting bit that looks like a drill bit.  And a Dremel.  If you don't have this, might be able to work with drill bit.

I can't find my camera cord, so I'll post picts tomorrow.

Here are the steps:
1) Take off the 2 screws on the top of the mag.  And the 2 screws on the bottom of the mag's base.  And lastly, the hex bolt on the follower.  

2) Carefully pry the two halves apart.  The lower spring base, not the cap, is slightly epoxy to the stopper piece and also to one of the mag's side.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/GSG5PK-mag-apart.jpg

3) Once apart, you can pry off one of the stopper that's on the rail of the mag.  

4) Use the 9/64 drill bit to drill out the other pin of the stopper to the lower spring base.  You'll only need to drill out one of the two pins, since only one is epoxy to the lower spring base.  Use the drill bit to punch out the other pin to the base.  Now take off the stopper on that rail, and the lower spring base.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/GSG5PK-mag-parts.jpg

5) The epoxy might have spilled onto the rail of the mag, so this is where the Dremel comes in.  Just use it to smooth out the rail so the follower will slide smoothly up and down the mag.  Make sure you clean out any plastic pieces that might come from the Dremeling.  

6) Apply some grease, if need to, and assemble the mag back together.  Leave the lower spring base out, and use use the base cap.  There are two small posts on the cap to help keep the spring in place.

7) Now load up 24 rounds of .22LR.  Have fun!!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/GSG5PK-full-mag.jpg
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#43]
[div style='text-align: center;']Phillips Type Screw Replacement</center id=center>
[div style='text-align: center;']Replaced with Hex Head Stainless Steel Screws and Nuts</center id=center>

The majority of the screws on the GSG are a "phillips type" screw.  Even though they look like a standard phillips head, they are not.  If you look closely you can see there is almost a star pattern to it as well.  The only tool that should be used is the Orange Handled Multi-Tool that ships with the gun.  A better option would be to replace the screws with hex head stainless steel screws.  If you are having problems finding the screws locally you can order them from over in the EE.  See links below in the last section.

Summary of what to get when shopping at the hardware store:

(12) - m3 hex nuts
(11) - m3 hex head, .50 thread pitch, 12mm long
(1) - m3 hex head, .50 thread pitch, 16mm long
(2) - m2.5 hex nuts
(2) - m2.5 heax head, .45 thread pitch, 12mm long

(4) m3 12mm, with nuts, for the trigger assembly
(3) m3 12mm, with nuts, for the bolt assembly
(4) m3 12mm, with nuts for the main reciever
(1) m3 16mm, with nut - this is the barrel screw (you need this one 16mm to be long enough for the nut to attach
(2) m2.5 12mm, with m2.5 nuts for the bolt assemby (these are the slightly smaller screw on the bolt assembly, they have a star hex that is a pain to get out, definately worth it to replace these as they strip easily.

Some Pictures of a few of the locations:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/screwreplacement/barrelbolts1.jpg
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/screwreplacement/barrelbolts2.jpg
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l340/GSG5Host2/screwreplacement/GSGboltreplacement.jpg

Complete Replacement screw sets avilable here:

GSG 5 Replacement Screw Sets
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By knedrgr:
15-round mag into 24-round mag

I got fed up with not being able to find any 22-round mags for my PK.  So I purchased a 15-round mag at the range the other day.  They had about 9 of them there.  After reviewing the mag, I came up with an idea.  I modded it to take 24 rounds.  That's right, 24 rounds!

DISCLAIMER.  Check you own State's law before proceeding.  Mod at your own risk.  I'm not responsible for your action or decision.  

You'll need:
One (1) 15-round mag.  
The GSG tool that came with your riffle/pistol.
A 9/64 drill bit and an electric drill.
A Dremel cutting bit that looks like a drill bit.  And a Dremel.  If you don't have this, might be able to work with drill bit.

I can't find my camera cord, so I'll post picts tomorrow.

Here are the steps:
1) Take off the 2 screws on the top of the mag.  And the 2 screws on the bottom of the mag's base.  And lastly, the hex bolt on the follower.  

2) Carefully pry the two halves apart.  The lower spring base, not the cap, is slightly epoxy to the stopper piece and also to one of the mag's side.

3) Once apart, you can pry off one of the stopper that's on the rail of the mag.  

4) Use the 9/64 drill bit to drill out the other pin of the stopper to the lower spring base.  You'll only need to drill out one of the two pins, since only one is epoxy to the lower spring base.  Use the drill bit to punch out the other pin to the base.  Now take off the stopper on that rail, and the lower spring base.

5) The epoxy might have spilled onto the rail of the mag, so this is where the Dremel comes in.  Just use it to smooth out the rail so the follower will slide smoothly up and down the mag.  Make sure you clean out any plastic pieces that might come from the Dremeling.  

6) Apply some grease, if need to, and assemble the mag back together.  Leave the lower spring base out, and use use the base cap.  There are two small posts on the cap to help keep the spring in place.

7) Now load up 24 rounds of .22LR.  Have fun!!!

BEEN 8 DAYS WHERE ARE THE PICS?
you posted you did thid mod in another postr, so I came over here tolook & no pics
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry for the delay.  The camera cord is MIA.  And it's not the standard USB cord either... I'm going to search the house for it tonight, and will post pics.

Just bought more 15 rounders to do the mod.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Jimmy500:BEEN 8 DAYS WHERE ARE THE PICS?
you posted you did thid mod in another postr, so I came over here tolook & no pics

Updated with pictures.  Hope it helps you.  Have fun modding.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#47]
How much are replacement firing pins/strikers, in the event that the mod goes awry?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Okay guys.  I picked up my new gsg-5p on Friday.  I found the grip to be uncomfortable, so I took a Hogue slip-on grip sleeve from one of my Sig 225's and it helps a lot.  I took the gun a part and cleaned and oiled it.  When I got it back together, when cleaning up I found a stray spring on the floor.  It is about 1.5cm long and about 1.5mm wide.  Question:  Where the heck did that come from?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#49]
that's the spring for the bolt-open/empty mag lever on the receiver.  It just goes between the receiver and the lever in the mag well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:53:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RazorsEdge] [#50]
Originally Posted By knedrgr:
that's the spring for the bolt-open/empty mag lever on the receiver.  It just goes between the receiver and the lever in the mag well.

How does it go in?  

Ah.  I found this in another thread:

The Missing or Flying Spring
Last Round Bolt Hold Open

Most people have encountered a problem with the bolt hold open feature of the GSG-5 not working correctly. There is a tiny spring that sits behind the breech-housing that can easily fall out when removing the breech-housing for routine cleaning. Below are pictures of the proper location of the spring. These are pictures looking directly into the breech/ejection port of the weapon.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top