Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2017 6:39:33 PM EDT
I found this Gerber MK-I "Hoffritz" Boot Knife today at a local pawn shop. I gave $30.00 for it.

5" blade, 9" overall.

It seems Hoffritz was a chain of cutlery shops and they would buy from quality makers and put their brand name on them and sell them in their stores. They are long gone though their name is used on a line of kitchen knives.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That is good to know, that would have driven me crazy if I had found it.

But not now, knowledge is power!

$30 is a steal.  I think I paid more for that when I bought mine, in the late 80s.

Mine has the nylon sheath, though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Hoffritz branded Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. A German steel industry Exec who visited my dad in the 80's brought it to me as a gift. Cool.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

$30 is a steal.  I think I paid more for that when I bought mine, in the late 80s.

View Quote
I remember giving around $80 for the Mk I in the nylon sheath.

Yeah, early '80s dollars, so that would be $150-200 knife now.

It's a bit difficult to sharpen, but it keeps an edge really well once you do.

Yours looks to be in very good shape too. Great find.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, it took me quite a while with the google-fu to dig-up the info.

One sourse put my knife at being made between 1976 and 1980 due to the 5" blade (later ones had a 4.75" blade)  but that might not hold water if Hoffritz special ordered them.

Here is their flagship NYC store circa 1939. It was designed by the world famous architect Morris Lapidus who basically gave Miami Beach it's resort look back in the day.

The Fontainebleau in Miami Beach.

Funny how things overlap like that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a rather large set of Hoffritz branded Henckel ice tempered Solingen kitchen knives that I put together for myself and my sister.  Family got me my first one as a college graduation present back in '84, when they were in all the malls.

They disappeared not long after that, towards the late 80s, IIRC.  I got to Miami in '85 and they were still in business in one of the local malls I frequented.

Quality stuff.

Chris
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top