Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/27/2017 2:35:13 AM EDT
I posted a thread on GD on this a while back, People basically told me that i needed more money than was in my budget to get a decent sander.  

After extensive research (and a new budget) I have found a number of possibilities.  

These 3 I am seriously considering (mostly the 1st two)

Kalamazoo 2x48

Jet 2x42 w/ sanding wheel

Ickler 2.5x48

These two are still probably out of my price range, but WTH

Grizzly 2x72 (probably too expensive still)

Coote 2x72 (also probably too expensive, and i would need to buy a motor)

Of these sanders which do you recommend?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I built one of these:

No weld grinder

Just something to consider if you're a DIY'er.  Mine works great, though underpowered for now - used a treadmill motor for the build but plan on replacing it with a VFD-controlled 2-3 horse when budget allows.  Treadmill motor bogs down badly, but belt tracking, etc. are fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Any will work...  They may make your learning curve a bit longer, but they will do what you want...  I started with the Grizzly grinder.  It did what I wanted, but it runs so fast.  I was able to make enough money with it to buy a KMG two years later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The Grizzly will work well for a beginning, low volume hobbyist. You just have to be more patient with the fast and fixed speed. I'm not sure I'd go any cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If you go the DIY route check out www.dealerselectric.com. They have great prices on motor/VFD packages. 
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
For the money you are looking to spend, you can get a 2x72 off ebay from oregonblademaker, they are quality equipment and IMHO much better
than any you are looking at in terms of ease of use and ability to expand accessories. 2x72 belts are easier to find and there is more selection available
than 2x48. They come with no motor, you can find a cheap used one and if you stick with it add a better motor and VFD later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any will work...  They may make your learning curve a bit longer, but they will do what you want...  I started with the Grizzly grinder.  It did what I wanted, but it runs so fast.  I was able to make enough money with it to buy a KMG two years later.
View Quote
Do you still have it and want to sell it?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the Kalamazoo 2x48 sander with no motor for polishing gun barrels. You can change the pulley sizes to set the speed . It has a ton of hours on it and still runs fine some day I'll build something heavier .
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips

The no weld looks like it would be good, but I am not all that good at builds like that
OKM grinder looks about equivalent to the Coote

I'm probably going to go for the jet or the Kalamazoo
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I gave it to my dad...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I gave it to my dad...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gave it to my dad...
bummer for me, awesome for him!
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't you get a rheostat to vary speeds? We use rheostat speed control for routers that are fixed speed.  

https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9410-20-Amp-Router-Control/dp/B001NIK6PC
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top