Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 6/17/2017 11:01:12 PM EDT
Background: I have been using the Lansky sharpening system for many years and I'm normally happy with how it performs. Started off with the standard stone kit over 20 years ago (I'm still using the same kit) but I've upgraded to all diamond stones since then. I like having perfect control over the angle at all times.

The problem is: if the knife you are attempting to sharpen does not have an edge angle that matches up to the slots on the clamp (17, 20, 25, or 30 degrees), it takes quite a bit of labor with the extra coarse stone to grind the edge to the desired angle. If the proper angle is established that matches one of the choices on the clamp, resharpening is a breeze.

Story: I've ran into this problem over the years several times and just lately I picked up a new Ontario M7 bayonet- the factory edge is embarrassing. I thought about returning it but figured the replacement probably would not be any better. Each side is ground at a different angle and I gave up after about a half an hour with the Lansky extra coarse diamond stone.

Solution?: I need something more aggressive to grind edges to the desired angle. I have a Work Sharp but I'm less than impressed with how it works. The belts wear out quickly and if you are not careful when getting near the tip of the blade (especially on thinner blades like fillet knives) you can turn it blue or take the tip almost completely off.

Should I go with a stone type grinder which would really only serve the purpose of sharpening knives and it could not be used for much else:

WEN 4270 10-Inch Two-Direction Water Cooled Wet/Dry Sharpening System

Or a belt type sander/grinder which would have to outfitted with a rest or holder to keep the proper angle but it would be used for a variety of other DIY tasks:

WEN 6502 4 x 36-Inch Belt with 6-Inch Disc Sander
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Tormek on all edges.  I've tried everything else and the Tormek is the only one that
has satisfied me.  Scary edges on everything, axes, scissors, chisels, plane blades oh and all
sizes of knives.  They're not inexpensive though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is hard to beat.  Cheap, doesn't take up any space in the house, and puts a razor edge in minutes.

I have been using one for almost 10 years now.  I keep saying I'm going to get new fancy system but the Sharpmaker is so good at what it does that I can't justify changing.  For touching up an edge I can get razor in 2-3 min.  Ultra scary in less than 10 by using the optional ultra fine stone followed by leather strop.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that the 204mf?
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top