Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2017 8:53:13 PM EDT
Recently changed states to Texas, and with my drivers license change, there goes my CHL.  Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, it's likely to be 2+ months before I can do the CHL class here and start the process for getting my CHL here in Tx.  So I likely won't be able to carry my pistol until late this year.  Additionally, I work in/around a lot of locations with proper .30-06 signs, so wouldn't be able to carry often times anyways.  

That leaves me with a knife as a primary EDC defensive tool in the time being.  Previously, my knives have been very much a secondary tool.  I do have some martial arts experience, but it's been a long time, and knives were not heavily emphasized.  

Currently, I keep my old Benchmade/Emerson CQC7 that I have had for the last 20 years as my primary EDC knife.  

Looking for some advice.  Looking to keep it to $200 or less, something that will last a long time (I paid about $150 for the CQC7 back in 1996, and it's still going strong).  Knife laws are changing here in Texas very soon, so fixed or folder are acceptable, with the edge going to folders due to ease of carry.  

Considering some of the karambits, the Kabar TDI, The Colonel, as well as some traditional folders.  

Thoughts?  Recommendations? 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Benchmade SOCP. The CQC7 is fine for what it does, but trying to grab open and use it will be the slowest part. If you need a knife then you need to get someone off you at close range. Any further apart they either have a gun or you can increase distance.

A rapidly acquired knife you cannot drop and which can act as a Get Off Me tool is what you want. This is it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Benchmade SOCP. The CQC7 is fine for what it does, but trying to grab open and use it will be the slowest part. If you need a knife then you need to get someone off you at close range. Any further apart they either have a gun or you can increase distance.

A rapidly acquired knife you cannot drop and which can act as a Get Off Me tool is what you want. This is it.
View Quote
Which is exactly why I am looking for something different than the current blade.  The CQC7 is a great general purpose blade, not an ideal defensive tool.  

Thanks for the recommendation on the SOCP, I'll be looking into that.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what you seek

Shiv Works Clinch Pick

Been carrying this for almost a year as my primary EDC knife.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which is exactly why I am looking for something different than the current blade.  The CQC7 is a great general purpose blade, not an ideal defensive tool.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't be legal till the law changes in September.  Dual edge and thus a dagger or dirk.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Serrated Sebenza if you have the means, and a serrated Spyderco Military if you don't.

/thread
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Won't be legal till the law changes in September.  Dual edge and thus a dagger or dirk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just around the corner.  

Even then, I would really prefer a folder.  That's the primary reason why I don't just purchase one of the Colonels blades.  At work, I won't be able to carry/conceal a fixed blade with what I have to wear.  A folder presents a few options for discreet carry.  

Just a matter of finding something that is fast to open, and that I can learn to use effectively.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Waved Spyderco Matriarch 2

Spyderco Matriarch Emerson Wave, Folding Knife
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Knife laws are changing here in Texas very soon, so fixed or folder are acceptable,
View Quote
My reading comprehension gets me in trouble sometimes. Oh Well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My reading comprehension gets me in trouble sometimes. Oh Well.
View Quote
Your good.  As I said, laws are changing shortly.  Your suggestion will be legal here shortly.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Based on my limited knife fighting training, I think I would be happy with just about anything.  Sure, a fixed blade is a little quicker and more certain but are you really going to carry it?  You have carried the CQC7 for a long time and are familiar with it.  Will a new knife change that level of comfort?

The key, just like shooting, is technique and wound placement.  Getting into a knife fight is not going to be pretty for anyone involved, but hopefully you know how to place quick cuts in areas that will slow down your attacker.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Benchmade Presidio is what I EDC, as well as train with in Krav Maga. It has a nice beefy grip, sharp tip, and deploys (as well as stows) very fast. I carry at my 1:00 with the clip tucked under my first belt loop. I can access it sitting down without a lot of movement, while on my back, and in a clinch.

On a side note, if you've never really trained in how to fight with a knife, you should really look into it.  Ideally you train regularly, but if not, there are numerous "seminar" type training events all over the country that you can look into.  Investing in just one day of knowledge is worth it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely planning on getting some training with whatever knife style I go with.  

The CQC7 is a good utility blade, but slow to deploy, part of why I am considering a folding karambit, despite their other weaknesses.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a ZT0300 with a wave cut into it.  Super fast to open and a good sized blade.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of the knives I carry regularly as primarily defensive tools.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some of the knives I carry regularly as primarily defensive tools.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34777/image-231963.JPG
View Quote
Details on the benchmade's?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Details on the benchmade's?
View Quote
The fixed blade is a Nimravus Cub II 3.5" 154CM blade. Very lightweight but tough little knife. I carry it horizontal at 11:00 in a custom kydex sheath.

The folder is an exclusive 710-2 4" M390 rounded spine blade with stainless standoffs and a deep carry clip. Very accute swedged tip and recurve blade makes it a nasty stabber and slicer.

The OTF auto is a standard Infidel with 4" D2 dagger blade.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The fixed blade is a Nimravus Cub II 3.5" 154CM blade. Very lightweight but tough little knife. I carry it horizontal at 11:00 in a custom kydex sheath.

The folder is an exclusive 710-2 4" M390 rounded spine blade with stainless standoffs and a deep carry clip. Very accute swedged tip and recurve blade makes it a nasty stabber and slicer.

View Quote
I really like the 4" folder.  Would be nice if they offered it as an auto.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to carry autos almost exclusively. I still have several Benchmades and Microtechs but I don't carry them much anymore after discovering the Axis lock. It's just as fast as an auto but with the advantages of being completely ambidextrous and being able to close it just as quickly with one hand. Now every y time I use an auto or assisted knife, I quickly become annoyed by having to use two hands to close it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Finally made my decision.  

Upped my budget a bit, ordered a Fox 599XT Karambit and a trainer.  Hope to have it in a few days.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Upped my budget a bit, ordered a Fox 599XT Karambit and a trainer.  Hope to have it in a few days.  
View Quote
The Dave Marcaida knife?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Doug Marcaida knife?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Doug Marcaida knife?
It's one of the ones he's involved with.  He "designed" the Fox Dart, which is a Karambit handle with a tanto blade.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's one of the ones he's involved with.  He "designed" the Fox Dart, which is a Karambit handle with a tanto blade.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Doug Marcaida knife?
Did I get Marcaida right?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did I get Marcaida right?
View Quote
I think so.    I'm no spelling genius, that's for sure.  

Ironically, this purchase was because of moving to a new state, and not having the time to get a new CHL.  Now that I've ordered the knife, I find out my old CHL stays valid even after the move, so I'm still good to carry.  
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top