Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2017 1:10:41 PM EDT
What knife or company would you say is the equivalent of the AR-15?

Robust aftermarket (sheaths, grips, etc..)
Popular
Price efficient
Comes in various sizes/lengths
Various finishes and features
Possibly even a fixed and folding version of a similar knife
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
ESEE.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I think a more common mainstream brand like Kershaw would be more appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Esee, hands down.  Cheap, their warranty covers stupid.  You break it they replace it.  Shit ton of after market accessories.  Some of the Esees you can buy without handles and sheaths so you can order the kickass after market stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Esee, hands down.  Cheap, their warranty covers stupid.  You break it they replace it.  Shit ton of after market accessories.  Some of the Esees you can buy without handles and sheaths so you can order the kickass after market stuff.
View Quote
Have to agree, esee 5 is one of my favorite knives
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Spyderco.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Hinderer
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
ESEE or Kershaw.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The The ESEE LS is my go to.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
For sure.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Mora.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Wish ESEE made a 7 inch blade....
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
These Cold Steel knives have worked damn nice for me.  You said like a glock...might not be pretty but it works well and is relatively cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H9DO4Y?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ESEE or Kershaw.
View Quote
Very nice quality knifes for different applicatioins
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
The amount of ESEE recommendations are overwhelming.  Seems like that's what I'm going to go with.  Thanks for everyone who recommended a knife.

I am also going to buy the Izula for EDC but I had a question for anyone who has the Tertiary Push Dagger.  Does it fit in the exact same sheaths as the Izula?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I would say Cold Steel is the Glock of knives
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I think ESEE's are overpriced for what they are.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Benchmade Griptilian is the Glock 19 of the knife world. Mini Grip is the Glock 43.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Benchmade Griptilian is the Glock 19 of the knife world. Mini Grip is the Glock 43.
View Quote
I'll disagree and say it's the Spyderco Tenacious.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
They're competitively priced to similar knives and have a no questions asked warranty. I'm not sure where you're coming from with that statement. 
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll disagree and say it's the Spyderco Tenacious.
View Quote
Tenacious is the G17, perfect size

Persistence is the 19, a tad on the small size but OK and way easier to carry

Ambitious is the various baby Glocks, small but will get the job done
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Kabar, Camilus, Buck, Gerber,  for lower end.

Cold Steel, Benchmade, Spyderco, SOG, a bit further up.

Randall,

Bagwell, or any other ABS Mastersmith.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for ESEE

Got one a few months ago and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Buck folding hunter

Red
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a couple of ZT knives and love them. They are fairly expensive but dman good knives
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#26]
ARs come in different price ranges

Low End Fixed = ESEE 4
Higher End Fixed = Scrap Yard (look for something in a 4" to 5" blade range like a 411 or Scrapper 5)

Low End Folder = Spyderco (like the Delica4 FFG)
Higher End Folder = ZT (like the 0350)
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Forgot to add...

I conducted a fairly extensive test of 17 fixed blades for bushcrafting purposes:

Bark River Gunny
ESEE ESEE-5
ESEE ESEE-4
ESEE ESEE-3
Fallkniven S-1
Survive! GSO 4.1
Ontario TAK-1
Busse Combat SAR-5
Busse Combat Boss Street
Swamp Rat RMD
Swamp Rat Vex
Swamp Rat Warden
Scrap Yard Mud Mutt
Scrap Yard S5
Scrap Yard 511 MO (FFG)
Scrap Yard 411
Scrap Yard 311

Here's a summary....

WINNERS & LOSERS

The biggest disappointment in this evaluation was the GSO 4.1. I had the highest hopes for this knife, and it absolutely performed abysmally overall. At one point I almost stopped using it for fear of injury. I was soaked with sweat, and during the bow divot test I had my hand slip up on the cutting edge as a stabbed the knife into seasoned hardwood. I literally cannot stress how disappointing this knife was.

The two "winners" surprised me beyond belief. Ironically these are the only two knives I almost excluded from the entire evaluation based upon the commentary to follow....

The Scrap Yard 511MO looks like a weird and awkward design. When the offer to borrow it came in I, at first, rejected it, but after some consideration accepted the offer. I cannot be happier that I did. This knife had OUTSTANDING edge retention, and capability. It is without a doubt the far-and-away best Scrap Yard knife I've ever used.

The Fallkniven S1 was almost excluded because I had several people tell me the VG10 edge would be too fragile for this evaluation. I've had VG10 chip on Spyderco knives, but I elected to test this one anyway. I AM SO GLAD I DID. The S1 is a remarkable knife with incredibly useful capabilities. Its edge retention was only bested by the 511MO's. Overall, I declare Fallkniven Laminated VG10 more than up to the challenge of bushcrafting.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#28]
After more evaluation I determined the Fallkniven's performance was a result of its convex edge.  If you convex the cutting edge of a fixed blade you'll increase its performance considerably (from my testing and experience).

after testing a Fallkniven with a traditional "V" edge...I decided to not recommend them.  It chipped.  Easily.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
ESEE (3 or 4)
Spyderco (Tenaceous or Delica)
Fallkniven (F1 or S1)
Mora (Companion line including Companion Heavy Duty)
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Spyderco Delica= Glock 9mm line
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I think benchmade, spyderco, ZT and esee all fall into what you're asking about. I prefer Hinderer and busse however.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry an Izula everyday. I also keep a 3 in a bag that I keep my Glock in, I've used the 3 quite a bit.   I have quite a few ESEE knives and I really like them.

Some say they are overpriced for what you get, but I like them and the warranty is great, although I've never broke one.    They are great working knives.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll throw in Victorinox SAKs, at least in the folding category.

Plenty of models for plenty of uses/needs.

With the advent of their hunting models, you an get up to 4" blades, IIRC.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Esee 3 or 4 and or an izula! Hands down the glock of the knife world.
Folder would have to be the benchmade griptilian. I used and abused one to try and break it! Never could.
Benchmade also obviously makes higher end folders too that I love.

I recently bought a white river knives caper and it is perfect! It is going to be my new edc.  I guess similar to my izula in some ways but way way nicer all around. Also no questions warranty.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Zero Tolerance
View Quote
Gotta disagree. My 350ts seems well built and has a good edge, but it starts to rust too easily for me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ESEE.
View Quote
FI second ESEE
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Kabar Becker series
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#42]
My Glock knife is the Glock of the knife world.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
You nailed it in the g19 part. Great gun, maybe a bit overpriced but not really anything to fuss about. Great reputation.  Perfect for those who don't care about researching a bunch and just something good and solid. Not really exciting. Exact same as the griptillian.

I don't as much agree with the mini-grip/G43 comparison as I think the 43 isn't as mainstream. And really I think the mini-grip is more popular than the fullsize. Maybe minigrip=ar-15/Glock??
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hinderer
View Quote
Bam!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They're competitively priced to similar knives and have a no questions asked warranty. I'm not sure where you're coming from with that statement. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like ESEE but they are overpriced for 1095 steel.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#46]
For most of us, an AR15 isn't an EDC, nor is a fixed blade.  Folders are far more common as EDC which is a good equivalent of your handgun...in this case a Glock.

While I think ESEE is a comparable choice to an AR15, Bark River Knives is another consideration.  They have enormous selections and varieties.  For Glock, I would put the Benchmade Griptilian and Spyderco Delica/Endura series as a solid comparison.  Good functional, bargain knives that simply work well (ala Glock).

Quoted:
Bam!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Bam!
Great equivalent if you're matching to a LaRue AR15 or custom Taran Tactical Glock  I love my Hinderer, but it only gets matched to a higher end pistol (like my Dan Wesson CBOB).

Quoted:
I like ESEE but they are overpriced for 1095 steel.
I hear this a lot and find it a pretty baseless argument.  1095 is an inexpensive steel compared to your higher end CPM knife steels, but it's value is less in the carbon content than the heat treatment.  I consider TOPS knives as overpriced for mostly 1095 offerings, but both companies get tremendous performance out of their heat-treatments which make all the difference in the world.  ESEE is on the higher-end for production knives using 1095, but you're also paying for better QA/QC and a solid warranty that is proven.  At face value, it's easy to discount 1095 as cheap steel and therefore they should be made into inexpensive knives.  I have found the heat-treatment of the steel, the design of the blade and sheath far more important than the steel-type.  Price is always going to be relative to value and ESEE is a pretty solid value for their market (even more so with a LE/MIL discount)

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I just picked up an ESEE laser strike. Seems simple and tough like a glock. It may be a little big for edc, but not if you have an edc bag/backpack. I got it at a reasonable price. $116 seemed like a good deal.

As far as a pocket knife I use a Kershaw Emerson design. Love it and you can find them for around $30 +or - on amazon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Kabar
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wish ESEE made a 7 inch blade....
View Quote
Junglas II may be what you seek...

How bout this?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Knife manufacturers are tough to compare to firearms manufacturers as a whole. Production knife companies have value lines all the way to
Semi custom.

Esee makes one level of quality in many sizes, like Glock.

Kershaw/Spyderco is more like S&W or Remington. They have differing levels of quality, from the .380 Bodyguard or SD9 all the way up to a Custom Shop 629.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top