Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2017 8:48:36 AM EDT
Looking for a belated Father's Day gift. One of the gift ideas I had didn't work out, so I'm swapping it out for a knife. He's in his late 60s so tactical is not a focus. No autos or assisted. I was thinking a small Benchmade or ZT? He doesn't really like knives that have a wide blade/belly on them. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know that you'll find any Benchmade or Zero Tolerance knives under $75.

EDC means different things to differetn people, but...

The Kershaw Leek, Skyline, & Blur are nice budget EDC knives.  if you don't want assisted, Kershaw Skyline.  

I also like the Kershaw Reverb and Boker Urban Trapper & Urban Trapper Petite, if you don't mind it not being made in the USA.

http://knifeinformer.com/the-best-folding-knives-under-50/
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The Spyderco Delica and the Endura should be two to consider under the $75 range that are easy to open/close, don't have the deep bellies like most of the ZT profiles and are good slicers, if that's what he needs.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe look at some lockback style knives like the Gerber 39 series. They have two sizes, USA assembled and in the price range.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Kershaw Skyline
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Spyderco Delica
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spyderco Delica
View Quote
This.

Spyderco Delica 4 with FFG (Full Flat Grind).

They're light, sharp, and hold a keen edge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
If he's going the SAK route, I've been sporting a SwissChamp in a Zermatt holster (with sharpening steel) on my belt for 4 years and those can be had around the $75-$80 mark, if he looks around.

I'm looking at the cheaper and less equipped Huntsman Plus for about $39, for stashing away.

I missed out on two SwissChamps that were sealed in their blister packs and both went for $40ish on Ebay last week.  Drats!

Chris
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a lot of good choices in the SAK genre...  I just brought up those choices to "plant the Victorinox seed" if you will...

I carry 2 knives daily.  1 is always an Ambassidor... the other is another folder that is locking and can be operated 1 handed.  Depending on what I'm doing, I have several different knives to fit that role...  most are Spyderco knives (Delica at the office, Tenacious mostly on weekends or days off...).  I also have an LAPG flipper that I like for occasional off-time EDC as well...  LAPG TBFK S35VN EDC >>>

I dunno about the S35VN part but it is a nice ("beater") knife for $35!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spyderco Delica
This.

This
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Spyderco Delica is the only knife I'll ever carry. Perfect gift.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Your all wrong.

Kershaw blur is the best sub $100 edc knife by far. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know that you'll find any Benchmade or Zero Tolerance knives under $75.

EDC means different things to differetn people, but...

The Kershaw Leek, Skyline, & Blur are nice budget EDC knives.  if you don't want assisted, Kershaw Skyline.  

I also like the Kershaw Reverb and Boker Urban Trapper & Urban Trapper Petite, if you don't mind it not being made in the USA.

http://knifeinformer.com/the-best-folding-knives-under-50/
View Quote
IMO the leek is too thin for EDC. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your all wrong.

Kershaw blur is the best sub $100 edc knife by far. 
View Quote
I did mention the Blur, but he specifically mentioned he didn't want an assisted opening.

I have a Blur w/ S30V steel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Lots of great options mentioned here. I'll certainly find one out of the list provided. It's also given me a couple ideas for myself. I've been using a Benchmade Osborne 950 rift, but it's just too wide of a belly for my liking. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Ontario Rat 1 in D2 steel, $40
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Spyderco has served me well for years. But I am also a huge fan of the leatherman skeletool. Not to big or heavy, easy one hand open blade the doesn't require the tool to open. And versatility of some basic tools. Add that it takes the bits so those leatherman bit cards can be had for 15 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looking for a belated Father's Day gift. One of the gift ideas I had didn't work out, so I'm swapping it out for a knife. He's in his late 60s so tactical is not a focus. No autos or assisted. I was thinking a small Benchmade or ZT? He doesn't really like knives that have a wide blade/belly on them. Any suggestions?
View Quote
full sized grip
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Spyderco Tenacious
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ontario Rat 1 in D2 steel, $40
View Quote
Bought two because I liked them so much. ESEE makes a similar knife in D2 that is a framelock instead of a liner lock. Had both but thought the Ontario was more a more comfortable grip. Also both knives are made by the same manufacturer and as such does not carry the same warranty as the other ESEE knives. 
 Either way both designs are no-nonsense practical designs and scary sharp. They can be had in multiple colors and Knife Works will engrave them for $8 or $9. The engraving is a nice touch but make sure you double check before you submit it because they engrave exactly what you submit, errors and all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#21]
AG Russell folding hunter ... $50

Attachment Attached File
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top