Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 8:28:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Benchmade because i hate assisted openers and i think ZT dropped their models that weren't. Plus axis lock is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Benchmade because i hate assisted openers and i think ZT dropped their models that weren't. Plus axis lock is awesome.
View Quote
I have a Benchmade Mini Griptilian and Griptilian folders out of CM 154 steel and like them both.  Rugged.  +1 on the Axis lock.  I do not own a ZT.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Those are the two brands i carry.  ZT0770 for edc and BM Auto Triage for work.  I dont collect knives, so I sell and buy as I upgrade.  And over time, i seem to always end up on Benchmade and ZT.  I like the quality and variety from Benchmade.  
I dont love every ZT, but a couple models, like the 0770, just marked all the boxes for my EDC.  Blade shape, handle thickness, weight, quality steel, i can open it with both hands easily because its assisted, etc,etc.  I wouldnt say its fancy or artistic looking but its extremely useful and functional. Perfect EDC for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the axis lock on Benchmades.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]
ZT.  They can be easily de-assisted.  More robust designs.  Not made by benchmade (their stuff is top notch, but I really get rubbed the wrong way by benchmade the company).
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are all kinds of ZT's that aren't assisted opening.  It's really just going to come down to which model you like. They both make some really nice stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned and sold Bench made knives, however I would highly recommend ZT.  I EDC either a 301 or a 770.  The 301 can take any beating that you can throw at it but is heavy and large.  The 770 is a smaller, lightweight assisted opener with great ergonomics, action and blade shape.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on what you want.  ZT tends to lean toward having heavy and large knives that are assisted and BM varies in sizes with more manuals and the axis lock.

Personal I have 10 Benchmades and 1 ZT.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Zero Tolerance. I've owned a few Benchmades and find them to be underwhelming and overpriced. I like flippers and assists.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]
If I was limited to one folding knife for the rest of my life it would be a Benchmade HK Axis lock knife.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Benchmade 940 is the ultimate in EDC in my opinion.  If you handle one you will see what I'm talking about.  If I could only own 1 folder it would be the 940.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There are all kinds of ZT's that aren't assisted opening.  It's really just going to come down to which model you like. They both make some really nice stuff.
View Quote
Oh I forgot about the flippers.
I'm not knocking ZT.
I know flippers and spring assist are popular features. I just don't care for them.
It seems like with Kershaw and ZT you have to choose at least one of those features.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh I forgot about the flippers.
I'm not knocking ZT.
I know flippers and spring assist are popular features. I just don't care for them.
It seems like with Kershaw and ZT you have to choose at least one of those features.
View Quote
I do not care for any type of assisted opening either.  OP- just a personal preference.  Lots of folks like the assists.  You may want to go to a good sporting goods store and try out various options at the counter, but they will not duplicate EDC (Every Day Carry) usability.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#14]
BTW, here is a link to blade steels that can be helpful also.  It is a little dated now as there have been a couple new steels come out.  But a good reference nonetheless. 
Link did not come out right.  Copy this:  http://knifeinformer.com/discovering-the-best-knife-steel/ 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Have had a Benchmade Adamas for about 4 years.  Great knife, has taken a beating.  Either one will serve you well though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Benchmade 940 is the ultimate in EDC in my opinion.  If you handle one you will see what I'm talking about.  If I could only own 1 folder it would be the 940.
View Quote
Definitive, yes; ultimate, not in my opinion.  Ultimate, to me, implies clear, undisputed champion, and usually by a significant margin.

The 940 is a great knife, as it's sibling, the 943, but the ZT 0450CF at least holds its own against the 940 in comparison.

I own both the 943 and the 0450CF (among many other knives).  The ZT 0450CF is my EDC, along with a Benchmade 485 Valet in my back pocket.

The 045CF is lighter* than the 940 (unless you spend $100 more for the 940-1) and uses tougher S35VN steel (same steel used on all Chris Reeves knives), plus it has a slick bearing flipper system so snappy, you'll swear it must be assisted opening.

I'm a bigger fan of Benchmade knives (I own 8) than I am of ZTs (own just the one) as most ZTs are too big and bulky to me, but I have noticed that many if not most Benchmade knives have some degree of blade centering issues that while usually just cosmetic, are annoying for a knife you spend ~$200 on.

* for some reason, the ZT web site lists it at 2.7 oz, but it weighs out at 2.4 on my scale, which checks out correctly for all the other knives I own.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one of these and dig it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a ZT 0450CF about two months ago and love it.

It's my first "expensive" knife and feel that it was definitely worth the $180 I paid for it.

Hopefully I'll be picking up a 0920 soon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I've owned a bunch of BMs and Spydercos. After losing my previous EDC knife (Spyderco Paramilitaty II ) I decided to give ZT a chance.

I'm REALLY digging my Hinderer-designed 0566BW ZT.

It's my first assisted flipper and it's kinda cool. Seems to hold an edge better than my BMs.

If you are open to other options the Spyderco Para II is an excellent EDC knife.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Not sure if warranty makes a difference to you or not, but you can't beat Kershaw/ZT warranty.  I'm pretty sure benchmade is in the same boat as spyderco and does NOT want you to take their knives apart, also I think i remember something about original owner so i'm not sure if you have to have receipt or not?  Kershaw/ZT on the other hand gives no fucks if you take their knives apart, and will send you screws/torsion bars and such to fix things yourself if you want.  I think they are also a lot more inclusive and as long as your blade doesn't have "XXXX" (this signifies that it was a factory second) on it they will take care of you.

I have knives from a lot of different makers and like them all but Kershaw's warranty is one of the best in the business.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually Benchmade has outstanding customer service.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have both ZT, and Benchmade, and both are quality knives that offer excellent designs, quality, and durability.  I also EDC a BM 940-2, as I like the G10 scales.  However the ZT 0566, and their other Hinderer designs are top notch.  I will probably add an 0562 to my 0566, and 0560.  They are that good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm not in the least saying that they don't have outstanding service.
I just think it's crazy that I can't take my knife apart and clean it good without worrying if it will void my warranty.  9 times out of 10 i'm sure it's a non-issue, but it's still there.  I can see some of the others being reason to void warranty, and i can even see them having a charge to re-assemble a knife (even though i can't fathom someone not being able to put a few screws in,) but I don't understand where the no disassembly comes from.  

https://www.benchmade.com/warranty-service

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

This Warranty does not cover normal wear, damage caused by neglect, misuse or the failure to perform normal or necessary maintenance, disassembly of any knife by any person other than Benchmade’s Warranty department, or shipping costs for returned knives.

Do not use your new knife as a screwdriver, pry bar, chisel or punch. Do not throw your knife or use it for any purpose other than cutting. Do not disassemble your knife. Do not sharpen your knife on a power grinding wheel. Any of these acts will void your Warranty. MINIMUM CHARGE TO REASSEMBLE A KNIFE WHEN THE WARRANTY HAS BEEN VOIDED IS $20 PLUS PARTS.
Also, I would like to say that i was wrong it looks like both Benchmade and ZT state "original owner,"  I'm not sure if you have to send in anything for Benchmade warranty, i know ZT/Kershaw doesn't make you send proof of purchase or anything though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the two. Both are good quality knives.
I have a ZT Hinderer and 0350 with big thick blades.
And several Benchmade Emersons. An older 3.95" CQC7 (?) and a couple of the CQC 3.5" (?) tanto blades. They are lightweight and thin. Nice to carry.
And a Griptilian for my son.  I also have given Griptilians as gifts.  

There's a lot of nice knives out there; you just need to spend some time looking at them and see what you think you'll like.
Check out Kershaw, Shun (Ken Onion), Emerson, Spyderco also.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just think it's crazy that I can't take my knife apart and clean it good without worrying if it will void my warranty.  9 times out of 10 i'm sure it's a non-issue, but it's still there.  I can see some of the others being reason to void warranty, and i can even see them having a charge to re-assemble a knife (even though i can't fathom someone not being able to put a few screws in,) but I don't understand where the no disassembly comes from.  

Also, I would like to say that i was wrong it looks like both Benchmade and ZT state "original owner,"  I'm not sure if you have to send in anything for Benchmade warranty, i know ZT/Kershaw doesn't make you send proof of purchase or anything though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

This Warranty does not cover normal wear, damage caused by neglect, misuse or the failure to perform normal or necessary maintenance, disassembly of any knife by any person other than Benchmade’s Warranty department, or shipping costs for returned knives.

Do not use your new knife as a screwdriver, pry bar, chisel or punch. Do not throw your knife or use it for any purpose other than cutting. Do not disassemble your knife. Do not sharpen your knife on a power grinding wheel. Any of these acts will void your Warranty. MINIMUM CHARGE TO REASSEMBLE A KNIFE WHEN THE WARRANTY HAS BEEN VOIDED IS $20 PLUS PARTS.
What's funny is CRK includes an Allen key to disassemble their knives and post instructions online.

I'd say they have the best warranty as well since they refinish handles free for life.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Either. I like ZT more tho...
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Have n 0350 that is currently at ZT for sharpening. Not that impressed with my new 810 Contego, blade already has minor chips from light use. Coating not as good as my ZT, pretty sure the pocket clip is just spray painted.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Benchmade for Auto, ZT for manual/assisted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I have zero experience with ZT but I have owned a half dozen Benchmades and they have been great knives.

Love the axis lock.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd go with the ZTs, they're well built and solid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Between the two, ZT all the way. I love the flipper. My EDC is a ZT 0909. it's beefy, will made knife that feels solid and balanced in the handed. But with the deep pocket clip, easily carried and concealed. Plus the edge that comes on ZT knives from the factory is unreal. Shave sharp straight out the box. I can't say enough good things about ZT knives.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I am about to get my first benchmade soon.  Having said that I own a ZT0350, Kershaw Knockout Knife, a Buck 290G, CRKT M16-04A Automatic, Microtech OTF & few customs.  The buck is my EDC, the ZT is for more heavy use.  I am a lefty and like the assisted opening personally.  I'm getting the Benchmade Northfork to be my Gentlemans EDC.  As others have stated, you would need to go handle a few of each brand that you can find locally or wait for a show nearvy to truly figure out what you like and don't like within each line.  That's how I've always picked mine keeping in mind the use behind that purchase.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I have over a dozen Kershaw and ZT knives.   I love them.   Heck, I collect certain models such as the Leek.   My family is nuts about the ZT 150, as am I.    I do also own some of the more expensive models.

I have never been able to get into Benchmafe knives.   None of them float my boat nor trip my trigger.  I should buy one just to say I have one.   I should pick one that I find the most tolerable and be done with it.

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not sure if warranty makes a difference to you or not, but you can't beat Kershaw/ZT warranty.  I'm pretty sure benchmade is in the same boat as spyderco and does NOT want you to take their knives apart, also I think i remember something about original owner so i'm not sure if you have to have receipt or not?  Kershaw/ZT on the other hand gives no fucks if you take their knives apart, and will send you screws/torsion bars and such to fix things yourself if you want.  I think they are also a lot more inclusive and as long as your blade doesn't have "XXXX" (this signifies that it was a factory second) on it they will take care of you.

I have knives from a lot of different makers and like them all but Kershaw's warranty is one of the best in the business.
View Quote
Kershaw/ZT even offers to sharpen the blade for life.  

I have some Kershaw Cyclone knives.    Those would be ZTs today.    Those are damn scary sharp knives.    

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
With re to folders (I'm guessing that's what both are famous for?).  I'm hoping for honest opinions from those that might own a few examples of both brands. 
View Quote

A couple of questions for you:

Are you left or right handed?  Which side will you carry your knife on?

Do you want the knife to do anything more challenging than normal daily cutting needs?

Are you wanting something "cool and different" or just "unobtrusive and totally reliable"?

Would you be ok with a heavier knife or prefer one you hardly know is there (weight-wise)?

How much do you want to spend?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A couple of questions for you:

Are you left or right handed?  Which side will you carry your knife on?

Do you want the knife to do anything more challenging than normal daily cutting needs?

Are you wanting something "cool and different" or just "unobtrusive and totally reliable"?

Would you be ok with a heavier knife or prefer one you hardly know is there (weight-wise)?

How much do you want to spend?
View Quote
all of this.

ZT and Benchmade are both fine brands.  There isn't enough difference in quality between them to choose one or the other without answering the above.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top