Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/19/2017 8:41:33 PM EDT
My 9 year old daughter has been asking for a pocket knife for a few weeks now, and recently found out that they have to have one for an upcoming Girl Scout trip.  It has to be a folder, and I'm not sure which direction to go.  Swiss Army type, a basic Old Timer, or a lockback of some type?  For the Scout trip, they will be using it in meal preparation, and whittling.  Any thoughts or recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant beat the Swiss Army Recruit or camper, rather see them with a lock-back but kids like gadgets. Get a real one though, not a China junker. Vitronox or Wenger are good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cant beat the Swiss Army Recruit or camper, rather see them with a lock-back but kids like gadgets. Get a real one though, not a China junker. Vitronox or Wenger are good.
View Quote
+1 to all of that.  my first two were both a wengers, and i loved them.  that being said, something that locks is definitely safer, and would have saved me a few cuts

if you end up not going the swiss army route, i'd recommend an Ontario Rat Model 1 (better steel, larger) or Ontario Rat Model 2 (OK steel, smaller)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
A small Vic SAK is a great first knife for a kid.  Gadgets, a practical blade, durable, won't break the bank.  That deserves some consideration.

I always coveted my dad's stag Case medium stockman when I was growing up.  He'd use it for everything and I'd come up with excuses to use it too.  I mostly carry a pocket-clip knife these days but sometimes switch it up to a medium stockman and I always think of dad's.  I think that or a Peanut would be a good first knife too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Another option:  Opinel

Inexpensive (but very functional), locks, sharp, comes in a variety of sizes, etc.  It's also less "tactical looking" which may or may not be a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
A Morakniv Companion would be ideal, but since it has to be a folder, I would go with a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (some models have locking blades) or a Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter. Those are knives I carry and knives I got for my daughter.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top