Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/13/2017 7:18:30 AM EDT
Take broken cold saw blade

Use cut off wheel on rotary air tool to cut out the basic profile. I scored the blade deep and broke it out.

Do a little grinding

Then it's just temper at 500*f for an hour (A1 tool steel) leave it to cool in the oven DON'T just pull it out. A1 STEEL air hardens, it needs to cool slowly.

The rest is just patients and fitting.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
It still needs a little polishing and clean up but pretty much ready for final assembly. The blade was never originally ment for this handle but the. I changed things after I realized the tang was going to be problematic.

Next one I'm thinking scales. I don't think I should go more then 6" blade with this steel at its thickness though. I'll probably do a skinnier blade next. This one is just shy of 5 1/2".

ETA: Done fitting it, I'll rough the tang up Monday and do final assembly, then it's just put the edge on it and enjoy.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top