Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/21/2017 8:37:38 PM EDT
I have plenty of their autos and a couple fixed blades but want to get the lady a decent knife but never played with any of Benchmade's regular folding knives.
Need some advise based on actual usage, this will be more than a purse knife.
Ergonomics and blade steel are important in the decision.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Barrage and Crooked River.
One thing on the Barrage, if i was getting one again today. I'd go with the G10 grip version vs. the original Valox. The Valox can get slippy as hell.
I looked at an auto, but found i liked the assist better. I also like the serrate blade. It's pretty rugged, I've pried on it some, cut wires, etc. holds up well. FYI the black coating can and will scrap off with hard use.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the barrage! I have 5 of them.

Attachment Attached File

The above poster is right. The g10 handles are way better.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a mini-barrage. Used it hard for about 6 years, has held up really well. 154cm steel.

The new ones have G-10 and s30v. I would also take a look at the new mini-griptillians in CPM-20cv.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
How does the assist hold up, as opposed to a regular folder?

Also, the ones that are easily accessible that I love
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does the assist hold up, as opposed to a regular folder?

Also, the ones that are easily accessible that I love
http://i.imgur.com/aFxv9xk.jpg
View Quote
Never had an issue with the assist, still has all the original springs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Benchmade Volli... might be to big for what you're looking for but it's a great knife.

Volli
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never owned a Barrage, but I'll add another recommendation.

I was planning to replace my 910 Stryker with a 940 because it felt great in my hand and was CPM-S30V steel. At the store I saw a Benchmade Grizzly Creek that was deeply discounted, also CPM-S30V and the "stabilized wood" handles looked very nice so I got that instead.

The knife has a gut hook tucked away on the opposite side that I thought was a pointless addition at first, but soon found I use it almost as often as the main blade. Two things that the hook really excel at are opening plastic clamshell packages and removing duct tape from the hands and feet of soaking wet coworkers. (it's not hazing when they are about to leave)
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top