Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/21/2017 3:05:00 AM EDT
I have a couple hatchets made now and trying to figure out which Cerakote would be best.  They will be used, they are not for show so I need something that will hold up.  So what says the hive?  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used cerakote, duracoat, kg gunkote, acid etching, and cold bluing.

They will all wear, especially on a heavily used tool. I like acid etching and cold bluing because of the ease of touch up. They will all add some corrosion resistance to some degree but I want to be able to reapply the finish easily and acid etching and cold bluing are the easiest to reapply.

Most of my knives get a cold blue or acid etch and then get tumbled to give them a nice stone washed "user finish".

If you decide to apply a paint then cerakote is by far the toughest.

Air cure and oven cure cerakote will both work great just make sure with the oven cure that you don't ruin the temper curing them. If you use air cure it takes a few weeks to fully cure.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used cerakote, duracoat, kg gunkote, acid etching, and cold bluing.

They will all wear, especially on a heavily used tool. I like acid etching and cold bluing because of the ease of touch up. They will all add some corrosion resistance to some degree but I want to be able to reapply the finish easily and acid etching and cold bluing are the easiest to reapply.

Most of my knives get a cold blue or acid etch and then get tumbled to give them a nice stone washed "user finish".

If you decide to apply a paint then cerakote is by far the toughest.

Air cure and oven cure cerakote will both work great just make sure with the oven cure that you don't ruin the temper curing them. If you use air cure it takes a few weeks to fully cure.
View Quote
Thank you for your input.  I'm not worried about it wearing off over time but it didn't cross my mind about ruining the temper using the heat cure.  I'll use the air cure on it to be safe. Thanks again for your input.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top