Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/20/2017 6:00:14 PM EDT
Being as awesome as she is, my wife bought me a new knife, a CRKT Rakkasan.

The Rakkasan is part of CRKT's Forged By War program, which is a series of knives designed by combat vets as a way of dealing with their PTSD. A portion of the proceeds from each knife in the series is donated to a charity named by the knife's designer. Austin McGlaun, the designer of the Rakkasan, designated his charity to be The Green Beret Foundation. McGlaun deployed with the 101st Airborne Division's 3rd Brigade Combat Team, the storied 187th INF RGT (The Rakkasans), for whom the knife is named. Rakkasan is Japanese and translates to "falling umbrella men," the nickname given to the regiment's paratroopers during their post-WW2 occupation duty in Japan.
Having deployed twice with the Rakkasans, myself, I had to have one once I'd heard about the knife's release. (I deployed to Kosovo in 2000 with A/1-187 INF and Afghanistan in 2002 with the brigade HQ's.)

While on vacation last week, I finally got the chance to lay my hands on one and examine it in person. I showed it to my wife and told her she could add it to my Christmas / birthday wish list. She didn't wait that long. The day after we got home, she went online and ordered it. The MSRP is $125, but she said she was able to get it for $75, shipped, from whichever site she got it. (There are multiple online vendors who offer it for around that price.)

The knife's specs (from CRKT's site):

Blade Length:  4.894" (124.31 mm)

Blade Edge:  Plain

Blade Steel:  SK5 Carbon Steel, HRC 55-58

Blade Finish:  Powder Coating

Blade Thickness:  0.147" (3.73 mm)

Weight:  9.2 oz

Handle:  G10

Style:  Fixed Blade Knife w/Sheath

Sheath Material:  Kydex; Black

Overall Length:  10.438" (265.13 mm)

Putting aside my fondness for the knife based simply on my connection to the unit for which it is named and the fact the designer also served with them, I like the knife. It feels good in the hand, looks nice, and seems plenty tough enough for any use I will have for it. And, at a price of $75, delivered, with part of that going to support a truly worthwhile cause, what's not to love?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks look a good fixed blade.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice knife, cool to see that they help out service members. Might have to buy one as I was a Rakkasan myself, good to see some others here.

Co. B 1/187
View Quote
A Co 1/187, 95 - 96
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good but powder coating and I don't mix well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A Co 1/187, 95 - 96
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice knife, cool to see that they help out service members. Might have to buy one as I was a Rakkasan myself, good to see some others here.

Co. B 1/187
A Co 1/187, 95 - 96
My 2000 Kosovo deployment was spent as 1st platoon, ABU's, FO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got some Rakkasan family members, I may have to pick a few of these up for them (and myself)
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Co. B 1/187
A Co 1/187, 95 - 96
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Recon 3/187th....

Nice blade!

Awesome wife!
View Quote
Yes, she is. For Christmas last year, she bought me an Ontario RTAK II, which I've been putting to use clearing brush around the property the past couple weeks. For Valentine's Day, she bought me an Elite Survival Systems Stealth backpack.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top