Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/9/2017 4:46:20 PM EDT

So i found this buck 55 at dickey bubs today. This store flooded a year ago and they had alot of deals on flood damaged stuff. I found this knife half price and there was just a touch of rust in the pivot but not a big deal it should clean out with oil and use. The wood is pretty dried out and there is a little green in it. My question is how to clean this wood and make it look clean. Should i just put some oil on the wood? It doesnt have to be brand new looking but i dont want it to start rotting or anything. It probably just needs some kind of protectant or something
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want it prestine....

You'd have to gently sand the wood to get the imperfections out

Then put on a new coating of lacquer or similar

I can't see any rust in the photo but if there is any (inside maybe?) then soak it in lemon juice BEFORE doing the wood work

After soaking it in lemon juice for an hour or two just rinse it vigorously and rust should come flying out
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Should i soak the whole knife or just the blade/pivot?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Just the pivot and blade unless the rust is really bad

Might be a good idea to drip a few drops of lemon juice into the locking mechanism also to brake up any rust in there

After you've done the wood work/lacquer everything then be sure and add some oil to the lock and pivot (and a very slight coat on the blade itself)

I probably wouldn't sharpen it unless it's way dull. A knife that small Its best to use the tip for serious business since all the kenetic energy will be in a concentrated area (even on a slash)

Should be good as new at that point
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top