Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder what mop and glow would do for the edges?
View Quote
I think I read some where,  where an old timer was mixing regular mop n glow with water to dilute it and then using it for a final finish but I can't remember for sure.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely be glossy
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Leather work is an enjoyable and extremely frustrating hobby depending on the day. Here are a couple of older random projects I've done that were in my tinypic account. Made a chest holster for a S&W 629 last year that turned out pretty good as well.

http://i59.tinypic.com/6pp8r9.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/11abpmw.jpg
View Quote
LOL my sheaths make me look like a window licker compared to you guys!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOL my sheaths make me look like a window licker compared to you guys!
View Quote
It takes time and practice. Gotta start somewhere.

My first knife sheath.

Attachment Attached File

Not my first leather project though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn that's hot!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Over 2,700 views now! Just finished a dangler for the Tahoma. I may rethread it just to be picky but otherwise happy with how it turned out. My jext project will be a sheath/carrier for my friend who has a SOG tomahawk.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Scrap leather, and wood scraps equal strops for cheap!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Scrap leather, and wood scraps equal strops for cheap!http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/sixnine2/20170421_182937.jpg
View Quote
Its a good idea. Mine is an 8" long 2x4 with leather wrapped around and stapled. I clamp it in my vice when I want to use it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT rather than wither
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#10]
How are your edges looking now?  Did you get a beveler and some slickers?  If you're lazy like me you can buy a set of hardwood edge slickers that fit in your Dremel off Amazon or eBay for like $15.  A piece of scrap dowel will work as well or a Sharpie or really anything smooth.  You mentioned using a notebook to make your patterns, a simple cheap alternative is to use leftover manila folders.  One suggestion for a cleaner finish is to round the ends of your straps- unless you just like square styles.  I usually just use a socket that matches whatever I'm working on but you can buy fancy cutters for rounded or English ends if you're so inclined.  

It's time you bought a couple of stamps and started trying them out as well- you don't think this was going to get cheaper did you?    There are some good videos online showing you how to make different patterns.  I only have a basketweave, a camouflager and a couple of others as a) I really suck at it and b) I just don't care for fancy designs- mostly a.  Tip: instead of spending money on a slab of granite see if you have a granite countertop place near you then go ask for a sink cutout or other scrap.  The place near me told me to grab whatever I wanted out of the rollback skiff but they weren't responsible if I got hurt.  Wear your gloves when moving the stuff as broken pieces can have some sharp edges.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be honest after I made multiple sheaths for my favorite knives I ran out work. My one friend never coughed up the hawk to work on either.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sweet.. just what I needed.  Won a knife, now need a home for it!  I was throwing around making it out of leather or kydex.

Cola Warrior West III fastest pistol stage prize courtesy of DamascusKnifemaker(ADW).. it is SICK!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2852/33512777952_38aef87c3f_b.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, he is ridiculously skilled.  I've been impressed by his work every time I see it even if I'm not a fan of the overall design.  Which doesn't happen often for me.

Although his stuff is just too pretty for me to honestly say I'd use......
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top