Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/18/2017 9:56:35 PM EDT
It was granddad's, he was Navy, Pacific Theatre. Found it after he passed away.

Looking to get it back into fighting condition, the blade at least.  Anyone?

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Other than a careful job of sharpening... leave it be.

It is a family heirloom... refinished and it is just old knife someone tried to make look new.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If your looking to save any collector value dont sharpen it at all! You can try to clean up the leather but I would just leave it as is
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Really doesn't look that bad from the pic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for leave it as is.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:49:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I asked the family about it and no one is sure that it's a bring-back.  He collected military weapons so I wouldn't be surprised if he bought it while in the states.  The blade is fairly dull, looks like the tip was broke off and someone did some grinding on it and tried to sharpen the opposite side.

I agree it's a family heirloom but this isn't one of the important ones.  Just figured it would be nice to be able to use it while camping or such.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I asked the family about it and no one is sure that it's a bring-back.  He collected military weapons so I wouldn't be surprised if he bought it while in the states.  The blade is fairly dull, looks like the tip was broke off and someone did some grinding on it and tried to sharpen the opposite side.

I agree it's a family heirloom but this isn't one of the important ones.  Just figured it would be nice to be able to use it while camping or such.
View Quote

Looks like an 1970's or '80's production Camillus USMC fighting knife to me. The MRT painted leather is the give away. Is it tang stamped or guard stamped? I bought one in the '80's for $17 in the issue cardboard box.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes its stamped,

Camilius, NY USN MK2
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Make Granddad proud and use that knife, if you don't know how I would redo the tip and sharpen and add it to my field belt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:05:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're really out to just make it more useful, besides a good sharpening, you could fix the handle.  The cross section of the handle is round, so if you grabbed it in the dark, you wouldn't know where the edge is pointed.  You can take a rough file or sandpaper around a block of wood and cut flats on each side that are angled a little towards the edge side.  Kind of like the shape of a piece of candy corn.  It'll feel better in the hand, be more secure, and be a lot safer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#10]
That's the idea, get it functional, just don't know anyone good that can grind enough steel to get the point back.

I wonder if something like saddle soap would help clean up the grip.

The hope is one of my boys will use it camping one day too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes its stamped,

Camilius, NY USN MK2
View Quote

Guard or ricasso stamped? I read somewhere that Camillus started painting the leather grip that dark brown/black MRT paint in '79.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Neetsfoot oil on leather to condition it. Like you would a baseball glove. 
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:22:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I got one of those from a friend. He said it was his dads from WW2. He and his dad used for every thing imaginable like opening paint cans, scraping paint and and whatever. The tip was broken, the blade was chipped and dull, a little bit rusty. The leather handle  was rough and dry. I reshaped the tip. reground the edge,blued it and sharpened it.I restored the leather and  waxed it and buffed it. It came out great. I put it in a metal scabbard from a   Hitler Youth knife . I offered it back to him but he insisted I keep it. ( sorry I don't do pictures.)   Asfar as restoring knives I got a Bowie blade at a yard sale for   50 Cents. It was rusty and dull.I restored the blade, made a guard from a brass oval shaped name plate, put on walnut scales given an old worn look,used common nails and washers for rivets. Its a nice looking and usefull knife for 50 Cents.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome find!

I see you're in Wyoming.  Find a butcher shop/meat processor and see if they sharpen knives.  The shop I took my elk to a couple years ago does free knife sharpening.  So we gave them our knives and they hit them with their belt sander.  Wouldn't be hard for them to put a fresh tip on the blade.  After that an occasional touch up with stones will keep it going.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top