Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/14/2016 11:25:50 PM EDT
I'm looking for a low cost, decent knife for my emergency bag. I already have a nice BK2, but want something lighter (about the same length though).
So I thought I'd try the Gerber Strongarm. I loved everything about it. It seems to get great reviews, and that the (often debated) 420HC holds an edge (due to good heat treat on this model). It also has a VERY versatile sheath (huge plus for me). Add to that, it's available in fine edge (the only way I'd go) and I was sold.
Well... the first one I ordered had a VERY nice edge, great sheath retention (strong clip) but, unfortunately, was the wrong blade (combo edge) so I returned it. The second one had the correct fine edge but was the worst edge I've EVER seen from a factory knife. It's edge had rolls, chips, and both sides were VERY unevenly ground. It was a horrible mess. The sheath on the second one also has VERY weak retention (the knife would easily fall out under a good shake (upside down, with no snap strap. This model is designed to also be mounted upside down without strap, which it failed miserably).

So my question is... is it worth trying another one? Has Gerber gotten to the point of such wildly inconsistent QC that they're all over the map, or was I just so unlucky?
If recommending staying clear of them, does anyone have a comparable knife I should look at that:
Is lighter (and better balanced) than a BK2
Has a sheath with STRONG retention even with a top strap unsnapped (important for me in case a strap snap comes undone with rough handling/snagging on terrain).
Has a fairly rugged blade decent for utility (not strictly bushcraft, tactical, or other... but a "jack of all trades, master of none" type)?

I'd prefer a USA made, but open to suggestions (if not going for another Strongarm).
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Gerber's QC is...meh but they don't care. Whoever bought them bought a name people know and live off that. Like vampires.

What kind of budget are we looking at?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Back in the 80's and early 90's, Gerber used to be a highly respected knife company.

Then they sold out in the 2000s and started selling very sub-par knives.

I refuse to buy them due to the severe drop in quality.  Gerber used to be great.  Now they are one of the lowest-end knives and priced like a Kershaw. 

If you want a cheap fixed blade with decent steel, get a Mora.  If you want a cheap folder, get an ontario rat-1 or a kershaw.  There's a rat-1 in D2 steel, and D2 is IMHO one hell of a steel for a knife, albeit challenging to sharpen......although it holds that edge for wha seems like forever.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
While I was skeptical due to Gerber's rash of subpar quality knives over the past several years, the Strongarm is the exception. I liked the first one I bought last year so much that I've purchased a few more. It's a 420HC blade but American made. It's actually a really stout knife and holds a good edge. The sheath is awesome too. For the money they are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm rolling the dice for yet another strongarm (3rd chance). Hopefully this one works out well.
I was going to ditch that knife idea as, for some reason, the prices on the strongarm have skyrocketed ($70 average price). No way is it worth that much.
However... I got lucky and found an Amazon source that still had the black fine edge for $50 (reappeared after disappearing for awhile. I nabbed it as soon as it reappeared for $50).
Will post back with results when I receive it.
ETA: and yes, I'm not a Gerber fan (haven't been since they started outsourcing their knives). The last Gerber I had/have was/is a 600 series multitool (when they were still made in USA, and mine is marked as such. Those days are long gone however).
But if the strongarm is their return to US quality... I want to be onboard and support this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope it works out well for you, please let us know.

It looks like a handy size and can take some abuse going by the YouTube reviews.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
UPDATE:
I finally received the (3rd) Gerber Strongarm today. I'm glad I sent the other back, because this one is fantastic! It's not the sharpest knife, out of the box, I've had (looks like they use a rough sharpening at the factory), but the grind is perfect on both sides, no rolled edge, no nicks, etc. Whoever did that blade knew what they were doing (unlike the other one). And the Sheath fits better than the last one too.
This one's a winner. Great looking knife! I'm glad I took that 3rd chance on it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I threw on in he cart while buying some other stuff from Midway yesterday.  Most reviews give it positive marks, especially for the price. I can't wait to try it out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a coyote brown one this past summer. Mine came razor sharp. Think I paid around $50. Nice piece at that price.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, just curious... does anyone have an x-ray image of a Gerber Strongarm? I'm just curious as to how much steel is actually under the molded grip. Gerber say's its a "full tang", but I'd like to see if it's a rat tail type or more. I have a feeling it's closer to a rat tail, based on the grip shape (and how much metal could be left under it).
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
My Strongarm came in the other day. While not the first knife I'd grab for boning out an animal it'll do.

Initial impressions are favorable. It's a little thin in the handle (and I don't have super larger hands) but it feels alright.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
UPDATE: While I love my Gerber Strongarm... I'm kind of now wishing I instead got a BK16. I now find my BK2 ridiculous and good for nothing. It's unnecessarily heavy, overly thick, and the blade is way to wide. The strongarm fits the role better to what I'd want that size to do (it's light, thick enough to be sturdy but not ridiculously thick like the BK2, and is of proper length to be useful for multiple tasks). However, the Strongarm is 420HC, which is great for corrosion resistance, but I'd (now) think I'd much prefer Kabar's 1095cv steel. The 420HC does hold it's edge well... but not nearly as much as KB1095cv. So... I could have had that 1095cv steel, in the same (almost) dimensions as the Strongarm, with a BK16. I do love the Strongarm's sheath FAR better than anything the BK series has (and yes, I have both the kydex and nylon molle BK sheaths), but for the blade steel alone... I think I'd opt for the BK16 next time. I'm not knocking the Gerber.... it's a fantastic value for what it is.. but I think I'd rather spend the $ into the steel itself, rather than the whole knife/sheath package next time. Just thought I'd update my .02
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top