Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2016 9:34:36 PM EDT
I'm not usually a fan of these types of sharpening systems because I'm old school and I love working with a stone. Well, a buddy hooked me up with a partial kit (a lot of the stuff was damaged when he got it and threw away what was broken) but the ultra fine stone was in there and so I gave it a go and was able to get a mirror polish on it. I tried it out on an envelope and felt the edge graze the inside joint of my finger but I didn't see any blood or open wound. I kept feeling a burning itch that wouldn't go away but I just rubbed my finger on my shirt every time I felt it itch. Well, I looked at my shirt and it was a bloody mess and the cut was now more than visible! Touché, Wicked Edge! You have now found a new customer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I had been wanting one for a while, but because of the cost I never would pull the trigger on buying one. My wife got me one for my last birthday and I love it! I've gotten my knives sharper then they've ever been before. Heck I even have friends asking to pay me to run their knives on it. Still haven't decided, I'd feel weird charging them, ask about a trade and they never said anything.

It's a great system, and worth every penny!

My hunting blade after I ran it through:

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had been wanting one for a while, but because of the cost I never would pull the trigger on buying one. My wife got me one for my last birthday and I love it! I've gotten my knives sharper then they've ever been before. Heck I even have friends asking to pay me to run their knives on it. Still haven't decided, I'd feel weird charging them, ask about a trade and they never said anything.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/8B6FCBE6-B2E1-48D6-ABA4-5F99DE06F1F5_zpsqpuma7cb.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/48B6FBBA-A880-4925-9116-743419B6CC25_zps5vtwaiin.jpg

View Quote

OST
What blade angles can this handle? I have several Japanese cooking knives with <10 angles. Also, can it handle single sided blades?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

OST
What blade angles can this handle? I have several Japanese cooking knives with <10 angles. Also, can it handle single sided blades?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/8B6FCBE6-B2E1-48D6-ABA4-5F99DE06F1F5_zpsqpuma7cb.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/48B6FBBA-A880-4925-9116-743419B6CC25_zps5vtwaiin.jpg

OST

The range  on mine is 30 to 15 I think the gen 3 (2nd most expensive one goes to 14) and I'm not sure what the professional series goes down to but it's the most expensive at close to $1500.

As for single sideded blades, I've never tried, but I don't see why not? I'm sure someone else could answer that better?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OST
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OST

Do you mean a chisel grind? I tried sharpening my Emerson on it but it didn't work. I would probably hit the beveled side first with the Wicked Edge and then hit it with my sharpening stone on the other and then polish it with the leather and polishing compound. I didn't know how expensive these kits actually were... HOLY DOG SHIT, BATMAN! Either way, I'll get the stones I'm missing and complete the kit again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm between this and the edge pro from apex. I just don't know. What's a $250 knife that is dull, but shit. Spend $400 to sharpen a $250 knife seems pretty dumb too. Arfcom keeps me saying buy once cry once though
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#6]
saw thread title and came to ask how bad you cut yourself. I saw the wicked edge guys at shot several years ago and one of their employees cut himself sharpening a buddies knife. those things get scary sharp.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OST

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had been wanting one for a while, but because of the cost I never would pull the trigger on buying one. My wife got me one for my last birthday and I love it! I've gotten my knives sharper
<g class="gr_ gr_23 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="23" data-gr-id="23">then</g> they've ever been before.
<g class="gr_ gr_26 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="26" data-gr-id="26">Heck</g> I even have friends asking to pay me to run their knives on it. Still haven't decided, I'd feel weird charging them, ask about a trade and they never said anything.

OST

Wicked Edge sells an adapter that can go to 8*.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I might have to try one of these. I used to keep my knives sharp with a 3 way stone and leather but since I've gotten older, had surgeries and eyes are worse i can't seem to get them as sharp anymore.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had been wanting one for a while, but because of the cost I never would pull the trigger on buying one. My wife got me one for my last birthday and I love it! I've gotten my knives sharper <g class="gr_ gr_23 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="23" data-gr-id="23">then</g> they've ever been before. <g class="gr_ gr_26 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="26" data-gr-id="26">Heck</g> I even have friends asking to pay me to run their knives on it. Still haven't decided, I'd feel weird charging them, ask about a trade and they never said anything.

OST

I was thinking they did, as well as a few other adapters for Tools as well if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
saw thread title and came to ask how bad you cut yourself. I saw the wicked edge guys at shot several years ago and one of their employees cut himself sharpening a buddies knife. those things get scary sharp.
View Quote

I can get things pretty sharp with a 10,000 grit stone but it requires a lot of time and effort on my part because holding an angle can get pretty difficult when you're applying a certain amount of pressure. The Wicked Edge was incredibly easy to setup and maintain that pressure while doing both sides at the same time, so it's a huge time saver. It's not that easy to cut yourself while sharpening unless you're not paying attention but once that blade is extremely sharp and in it's environment, it's a whole different ordeal. I wasn't sure how sharp I could actually get the edge and I've been fooled with sharpening gimmicks before but this is no gimmick and the end result is a phenomenally sharp edge that's easy to attain by any skill level. Once you strop the edge with the leather, it will cut loose hair! It's that sharp!
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm between this and the edge pro from apex. I just don't know. What's a $250 knife that is dull, but shit. Spend $400 to sharpen a $250 knife seems pretty dumb too. Arfcom keeps me saying buy once cry once though
View Quote

That's how the guys here got me to buy the Edge Pro.  It was out of my budget, but the Sharpmaker was giving me fits, so I got it.  I would get a Wicked if I found a screaming Black Friday deal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You only have one knife?

I have more than $400 in knives, a lot more. It's not like after sharpening 1 knife it's useless.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You only have one knife?

I have more than $400 in knives, a lot more. It's not like after sharpening 1 knife it's useless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You only have one knife?

Exactly! Heck, you have kitchen knives I'm sure? Those suckers will never be sharper. I ran my boning knife on the wicked edge before processing some deer at home and it's never been easier!!

I touch up my EDC blade, Kitchen knives and Hunting blade all the time! No matter what I used to sharpen my knives, they have never been this sharp.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

When you get one of these high speed operator knives that's thick as can be behind the edge and you want to make it actually cut something, it's worth it.  If I would have paid myself minimum wage to sharpen this knife with a Sharpmaker, the Wicked Edge paid for itself easily.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's how the guys here got me to buy the Edge Pro.  It was out of my budget, but the Sharpmaker was giving me fits, so I got it.  I would get a Wicked if I found a screaming Black Friday deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may sound silly but most of what I used my Wicked Edge for, is saving myself time on the Sharpmaker.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When you get one of these high speed operator knives that's thick as can be behind the edge and you want to make it actually cut something, it's worth it.  If I would have paid myself minimum wage to sharpen this knife with a Sharpmaker, the Wicked Edge paid for itself easily.  

http://harrystone.net/posted/tglb-home.jpg
View Quote
I still have nightmares of sharpening my BGTG.  Nice knife, love the handle and balance......but my hands still hurt.   
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had been wanting one for a while, but because of the cost I never would pull the trigger on buying one. My wife got me one for my last birthday and I love it! I've gotten my knives sharper <g class="gr_ gr_23 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="23" data-gr-id="23">then</g> they've ever been before. <g class="gr_ gr_26 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="26" data-gr-id="26">Heck</g> I even have friends asking to pay me to run their knives on it. Still haven't decided, I'd feel weird charging them, ask about a trade and they never said anything.

OST

Here is the low angle adapter

https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product/wicked-edge-low-angle-adapter/
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I really really want one. I've looked at all the others;  KME, Edgepro, Sharpmaker, worksharp, etc.   wicked edge seems to stand above. But damn that price point. Sheesh
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#19]
i hemmed and hawed over buying one for years, the jack asses I work with all said I was nuts, until they saw the finished product, now they all want their knives done.... now I laugh and take their money to sharpen theirs....
I guess it all depends on how sharp you want your knives. I have several Busse and benchmade knives. They all have a wicked edge now and I cant be happier.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I just saw this thread pop back up and figured I would post. After just keeping it in its original box and carrying it around in a canvas grocery bag whenever I take it anywhere, I decided to just get a cheap hard case from Amazon for my Wicked Edge. Received it Friday, I still need to spray down the foam with Plasti Dip, but this is what it looks like so far. I feel like it turned out fairly well. May post again after I spray it.

*got it spayed, turned out okay but not perfect, still can't beat the price*

A couple obligatory Mirror Edge pics after a ride on my W.E.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i hemmed and hawed over buying one for years, the jack asses I work with all said I was nuts, until they saw the finished product, now they all want their knives done.... now I laugh and take their money to sharpen theirs....
I guess it all depends on how sharp you want your knives. I have several Busse and benchmade knives. They all have a wicked edge now and I cant be happier.
View Quote

I have yet to charge anyone, usually a trade here and there. I've had a few people offer to pay me, but not sure what's a fair price. I don't want to "charge too much" and rip them off, or charge too little and get screwed over. I've had people offer me like $15 to do their blades to a mirror edge. Just haven't done it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#22]
i have done a bunch for free, but the guys that took advantage started getting charged $10 buck a blade...
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really really want one. I've looked at all the others;  KME, Edgepro, Sharpmaker, worksharp, etc.   wicked edge seems to stand above. But damn that price point. Sheesh
View Quote

Check this one out: Russian Sharpener. It's an awesome sharpener that sharpens down to 6.5 degrees. I like it better than the other sharpeners because it's holds the blade in 2 places. Therefore, you can sharpen longer and more flexible blades like a filet knife.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i have done a bunch for free, but the guys that took advantage started getting charged $10 buck a blade...
View Quote

That's actually was what I was thinking, $10 for Wicked sharp utility edge and $15 for a mirrored edge.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I think that's fair, a mirrored edge takes some time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Just bought one of these.   Got the WE100 for $225 and added the 800/1000 stone.  

Anything else you guys would recommend?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just bought one of these.   Got the WE100 for $225 and added the 800/1000 stone.  

View Quote

1200/1600 Ceramics and Strops with the 3.5/5 micron paste
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this, plus add an angle cube so you can get repeatable consistent angles on each side each time you sharpen. Also, I found it helpful to write down the angles and settings for each side for each knife so my setup time is faster.

Amazon Product
  • Super large reversible LCD display. Tracing absolute level
  • Flip display to view angle in any direction
  • Displays relative/absolute angles in degrees or tilt percent. Measure range: 360 degrees (4 x 90)

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

All of this, plus add an angle cube so you can get repeatable consistent angles on each side each time you sharpen. Also, I found it helpful to write down the angles and settings for each side for each knife so my setup time is faster.

www.amazon.com/dp/B006JR8XBG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B006JR8XBG
All of the above, the angle cube is a must for absolute repeated angles
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top