Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 10:38:56 AM EDT
Over the weekend, I used an Ontario RTAKII knife to clear about 2,000 sq. feet of overgrown weeds, tress, vines, and brush that had been growing wild between my house and neighbor's houses on both sides.

The RTAKII made quick work of everything under 2" thick but the blade edge is nicked and gouged.

I'm looking at maintenance recommendations, both sharpening and rust prevention and recommendations for a sheath to attach to a molle ruck, and any tips on use.

Not mine:

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember being in a hardware store in El Salvador in the 70s and watching a guy buy a new machete. He spent half an hour checking out a pile of identical ones before he made his choice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember being in a hardware store in El Salvador in the 70s and watching a guy buy a new machete. He spent half an hour checking out a pile of identical ones before he made his choice.
View Quote

Probably worried about variations in manufacture.
Consistency with Ontario will be better.  
Ontario may not be better than best El Salvador.
I need people with this kind of shit so I can practice perfecting my skills on 1x30 grinder.
Ontario commercial lines are good quality simple blade designs.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
       Wear gloves and don't worry so much about maintenance. Machetes are to be abused not pampered. I say wear gloves because you'll smack your hands i to a lot of shit and thorns can suck a dick if you happen to swing into them. If you're going to be using it a lot you're better off getting a long handled brush hook. Keeps your hands safe, better reach and better swing power. I call my brush hook a Somali hockey stick.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#4]
It arrived, while nicely balanced,the handle is chunky and slick, I'm thinking a thin electrical tape wrap. going to cut my daisies down.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just got an Ontario 1-18 myself couple weeks ago.
Little time with some 60grit and a rat tail file to thin and recontour the grip, and a couple quick passes on the worksharp and I've been very pleased with it's performance and value
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Not much to do unless you want to modify the blade shape etc.    If you have a belt sander you can change to a convex edge that will hold up a bit better to abuse .
You can treat this two ways.   As a disposable tool and use a file or a puck style sharpener or you can use a fine grit belt to convex and touch up on the belt or by hand.  
  If by hand you can buy sanding belts and cut them. Use a 2x4 etc tape ( I cut a groove and fold in) the belt with some soft backing for convex ( like thing neoprene) or no backing to maintain a factory style edge.  
  The second way will take a lot less material and make the machete last a long time .
 Lots of ways to accomplish the same goal.
This started life as a 18in Ontario

Here is a Martindale clone  both of these are pretty old when I first started
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top