Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/17/2016 6:52:39 PM EDT

I hear they are sharp and hold an edge. I'm thinking about dropping some coin on one.

what is the best way to sharpen them and is there anything I need to know about them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:24:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I hear they are sharp and hold an edge. I'm thinking about dropping some coin on one.

what is the best way to sharpen them and is there anything I need to know about them.
View Quote

I think it's the former owner of Blackjack and then Ek partnership for a while. He helped bring Marbles back to knifemaking too but I don't know too much about Bark River.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#2]
They are convexed, so freehand it is....be it on a stone or a belt grinder.

Good knives.  IMHO a little $ for what you get, but like I said....they are better than average production knives.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent knives, excellent warranty, a great variety of steels.

You might say I'm a bit biased. I have a shit ton of them, am a dealer for them, and have been a moderator for ~8 years between forums and Facebook.

If you have any questions about specific models I'm happy to help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
One if the best factory knives you can get .

If you've never had a knife with a convex Edge it's a lot differentSome would say a lot easier to sharpen Then other knives .

The  sheaths Are excellent top notch Leather Construction And as the other gentleman said their warranty is as good as it gets.

Go on Facebook and join their page it's very active and you'll learn a lot.

Just watch out there's a couple guys on the Facebook page that sometimes get a little too drunk and post up some weird stuff in the middle of the night Sometimes we get a little bit of Facebook drama over there But the moderators are good at tamping it down
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I lost a lot of respect for them with their handling of the chopstick incident and the concern over their grinding/water quench techniques.

You tube videos covering the above can be found with a quick search.

Virtuovice has an extensive collection and a ton of largely complimentary videos on Bark River knives, but he will point out flaws as he sees them.

I have a couple, they look nice, but I have not subjected them to any hard use.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had a Bravo1 for several years and have gutted and skinned several elk and deer with it as well as basic camp chore type stuff.  Seems to be plenty tough and stays sharp.  I have never used it to dig a hole or chop through a cinderblock though.  I use a mouse pad and super fine sandpaper to sharpen it then use a homemade strop made of an old belt stuck to a paint stirring stick to finish.  I am all hi tech that way.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One if the best factory knives you can get .

If you've never had a knife with a convex Edge it's a lot differentSome would say a lot easier to sharpen Then other knives .

The  sheaths Are excellent top notch Leather Construction And as the other gentleman said their warranty is as good as it gets.

Go on Facebook and join their page it's very active and you'll learn a lot.

Just watch out there's a couple guys on the Facebook page that sometimes get a little too drunk and post up some weird stuff in the middle of the night Sometimes we get a little bit of Facebook drama over there But the moderators are good at tamping it down
View Quote

Working midnights I see a lot of the BS and nuke it before it gets too bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
tell me about this edge?

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
tell me about this edge?

View Quote

Decent summary here:

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
As much as I enjoy convex edges...

If you buy a Bark River and want to put a regular V bevel edge on it... well the knife is made of steel and can be ground, have at it. Mike will still warranty the knife regardless.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Another thing is some models come in a large selection of steel choices.  Research the choices first,  there are carbon & tool steels which rust easier than stainless but can be easier to sharpen. Most of then have strengths and weaknesses so find the one that fits your wants/ needs. Also a wide selection of hasndle/scale materials.

Convex pretty much means that the sides of the blade curve or round into the cutting edge. A V style grind the sides of the blade have beveled straight angles to make the cutting edge.  Sharpening a convex edge can be a rough learning curve but once you get it down it is easy.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no idea about the possible metal choices. thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Also look at Blackjack knives. They have a cheap import line, but their "classic" series use A2 blades.  Made by the same folks as Bark River.  I really like the discontinued Trail Guide series and the Model 125.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]
is Bark River made in the US?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Love my Barkies.  I started with a Gunny Hunter, which is one of my favorite knives of all time.  Since then I've been to two Grind-ins and have made a number, including an Aurora, a Bushcrafter, another Gunny Hunter, and a Springbok.  I like all of them very much.  They make enough different models that you'd be hard pressed to find a use that Bark River doesn't make a knife to fit.

Great knives, great people, great company.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#17]
my main concern is sharpening it.

what steel would you recommend for deer hunting/skinning.. cutting stuff. just a good outdoor/hunting blade that you can actually sharpen when you need too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the 3V
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I purchased a Bravo Pig Sticker last year. It's a beautiful blade in 154cm. The only things that irk me are that a couple of the grind lines aren't symmetrical. They are juuuust a hair off in a couple of spots, nothing too bad and I understand that they are hand finished so no biggie really. Another thing is the finish in the fuller looks like it has a stain on one side, looks like dried oil or something. I tried to remove it to no avail. Another no biggie.
I will say that overall the knife is a stunner. The green micarta scales are perfectly finished and the fit is flawless and seamless. Would I buy this knife again? You bet. In fact my next knife will be either the Teddy 2 or the 1909 Michigan Bowie with the Moran stocks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#20]
My 3V blades have been no issue to sharpen.  Just get a good strop and at least the black and green Bark River compounds.  As long as you're not hammering rocks and chipping the edge, a strop will keep that knife sharp with just a few minutes of effort.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry almost exclusively Bark River and BlackJack ( same maker now...again....long story ) knives.

You need to be familiar with convexing to be at home with them.  Start looking it up on google.

As another poster said, you CAN apply a bevel to them and Mike will still warranty them....I am living proof.

to introduce yourself to convexing start with their heavier, taller blades such as the Bravo One, the BlackJack 125 ( my favorite ) and others.

Lighter, shorter blades require a touch I have not yet mastered and I have been doing convexing for some time now.   Several years.

That being said, I beat the ever loving SHIT out of my Bravo One, Golok and Hudson Bay.  My Journeyman knives get a heck of a workout, too as does my blessed BlackJack 125.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Good to see someone else who appreciates Blackjack knives.

My Model 125s

My Trail Guides

Another Trail Guide

Blackjack Model 4 with my old Uncle Henry Golden Spike
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top