Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 4:25:12 PM EDT
I have a couple of Cold Steel hawks, and for the price they are great.  I consider them to be more like a "kit".  You will need to "finish" them yourself.

That said, I have become interested recently in finding a higher quality hawk to test out around the farm.
Specifically I am looking for something with a higher quality steel that will take (and hold) a better edge.
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your price range?  

For something affordable but well built, I recommend the Condor TRT (Tactical Rescue Tomahawk) around $55-60 on Amazon or other stores.    

For something high end, check out the Hardcore Hardware Australia LFT-01 or CTT-01 models.  They are top notch and overbuilt.  Only downside is the price.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
also check out Zombie tools
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Those S13 Shrikes are nice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I should have been more specific.   I am mostly interested in traditional style hawks.

I like the look of these

Anyone have any experience with one of his hawks?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I just received the CRKT Chogan today.  It seems solid and was less than $50 on Amazon.  The blade isn't very sharp but about like you would expect from an axe.

UPDATE:  I sharpened the blade with a Lansky Puck and made a paracord wrap around the handle.  Now it's a very nice tool, especially considering the price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
My Gerber Downrange is a damn workhorse
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:08:50 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.rangerup.com/tomhawk.html

Always the Roger's Ranger Hawk if you want more traditional
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I should have been more specific.   I am mostly interested in traditional style hawks.

I like the look of these

Anyone have any experience with one of his hawks?
Thanks
View Quote

I really like that Voyager.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://www.rangerup.com/tomhawk.html

Always the Roger's Ranger Hawk if you want more traditional
View Quote

I have an early Ranger Knives spike hawk by Justin with an additional hook grind. Great hand forged hawks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Nevermind. I missed your post about 2Hawks Longhunter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Mainline Forge. He takes ballpein hammers and reforges them into qusi-traditional patterns. I have a hammer pole he made from a 24oz, and it's a nice tomahawk. I wouldn't hesitate to order again. I also own RMJ, Winkler, and American Kami tomahawks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Came to post this
Also all his offerings from the winkler 2 line are not on the website
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#16]
These guys have the traditional ones, and some very interesting other offerings:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/473/1
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I have this one. I bought it about 10-12 years ago. I didnt pay anything near what they are now.
Its rock solid, holds an edge. Heavy enough to use as a camp axe.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/473/3/TOMAHAWK-OR
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Just ordered a 2hawks longhunter last night myself....
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
No personal experience yet, but on the muzzleloading forums HB forge seems to be the go to hatchet/tomahawk.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a fast hawk from 2hawks. It's great quality. Love it. And I do quit well with it for being my first attempt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No personal experience yet, but on the muzzleloading forums HB forge seems to be the go to hatchet/tomahawk.
View Quote

For trad tomahawks, these are the way to go. Throw very well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Hawks are like knives and guns, they have specific shapes and reasons for what they are.

What is the intended purpose of this hawk? "Around the farm" sounds like utility work with a lot of chopping and little need for a spike, more a poll for hammering. "Traditional" does fit that.

I have the Condor TRT and the offset head warps to one side on the blow, plus you might be forced to learn how to use it differently than a hammer when you pull back and smack your skull with that spike. Ask me how I know. I found the grip too fat and removed the paracord. The handle was a tad long and butt heavy and the rolled tube welded into a round shape made for harder gripping. Baseball bats do fine that way, a hawk with an offset head, not so much.

I wanted the utility of the spike head to pry and lever with it, and RMJ does that job well according to others. But the real issue is that they are utility breachers, not a woodsmens or farm hawk. I was all set to take the Condor into the woods deer hunting until I found it really wasn't all that. Nor was it light.

I am now looking for a wood handle traditional with poll head that will be lighter, chop more easily, has an oval handle to index and grip in the hand better, bearded with the angle of the face pointing down to the butt, not parallel. Goes to what jobs I think the hawk would need to do in a camping or field clearing role, not urban breaching. Digging out a stump and chopping roots would be typical (not that I would expend that kind of work on it when a chain and vehicle could do it. )

Hawks have different shapes and styles for different purposes and everybody posting their favorite for internet social climbing isn't what is being asked.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just received the CRKT Chogan today.  It seems solid and was less than $50 on Amazon.  The blade isn't very sharp but about like you would expect from an axe.

UPDATE:  I sharpened the blade with a Lansky Puck and made a paracord wrap around the handle.  Now it's a very nice tool, especially considering the price.
View Quote

$40 right now on amazon, and it's designed by RMJ tactical.  It's a very nice 'hawk, but it does need a paracord wrap.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I've carried this hawk with me on every off pavement adventure I've been on for more than 20 years.

I believe that it came from Track of the Wolf
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 2 from HB Forge.  Took a little while but great quality.  Would order again if I had the need.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

$40 right now on amazon, and it's designed by RMJ tactical.  It's a very nice 'hawk, but it does need a paracord wrap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you like this one compared to Cold Steel's stuff?

Intended use would be light woods/camp stuff.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top