Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/2/2016 7:59:10 AM EDT
Been documenting this on BF, but thought I'd repost here.  I work in metal fabrication, and have started taking advantage of my company's policy of allowing employees to do government work during off hours.

Laser cutting knife blanks on our Bystronic 6kw fiber optic laser.  Fiber lasers emit light at near infrared wavelengths, that's why the window is tinted green.  About halfway through the video I stick my camera inside the machine.  This is 1/4" hot rolled 1095.

A number of the knives I cut from that sheet are destined to be 3D surface milled in a CNC mill rather than ground out by hand.  In this video, I've programmed the fixture I'll use to hold the blanks, and run the machining simulation.  Models were created in Inventor 2016.

Model of the finished knife:

Sunday I got some free time in the shop.  First, I annealed and tumble blasted the blanks, then I surface ground the blanks flat and parallel.

If you're not familiar with a surface grinder, it is a precision tool meant for making very flat surfaces.  Some knifemakers get their hands on old ones and convert them to use 2x72 belts, which I will likely do one day, as knives don't need the precision that hard tooling like dies do, and belts remove material faster.

Blasted knife blank:

Surface ground blank:

Most cleaned up at .010" removal.  Fixture machined from a billet of 6061.

Second side of the fixture.  This is a 2 position fixture for 2 operations.  First, to drill and ream tooling holes in the blanks, the second to do the milling.  The fixture is machined on all 6 sides, and has a tooling hole for location reference.  The blade programs are programmed from that hole location, so it's easy to throw this fixture in the machine, probe the hole and make some chips.  Very little setup time after the initial run.

The laser cuts outside profiles of this size to around a .015" profile tolerance, so my cutouts take that into consideration.  They fit well.

Firing up the second op:

Machining progression: Top- lasered ground blank, blank with tooling and clamp holes, blank with first side machined, blank with both sides machined and clamping tab milled off.

Close up of the finish on the bevel.  Smooth to the touch, this will clean up easily after heat treat.  This was milled with a 5/8" inserted ball endmill, .003" stepover, 3000 RPM at 45 IPM.  It takes approximately 14 minutes to machine 1 bevel.

That knife is meant to be a deer hunting knife.  The blade height is relatively narrow due to that.  They will be heat treated and double tempered to 62 RC, and finished with G10 scales of various colors, with contrasting liners and corby bolts.  Some will have a lanyard ferrule, some will not.  Making 10 of these initially.

Here are some WIP photos of another blade design I laser cut in the video, this is a 5.5" blade camp knife that's being hand ground.  This blank was annealed, rough ground, surface ground flat, normalized, then it was heat treated to 50 RC, and then again differentially heat treated with clay, and I acid etched it to see how the hamon came out prior to moving on to finish grinding.  I cut 4 of these out.  I really like the proportions of this blade as I've been handling it and I'm considering cutting some more and programming it for the machine as well.  This one is getting green G10 scales and blaze orange G10 liners.

Thanks for looking.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Compooters are hardddd.  I much prefer banging on hot semi-malleable steel for hours on end

Cool stuff OP
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I love the look of the camp knife!
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm digging this, thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love the look of the camp knife!
View Quote

I thought I was finished but I left the edge too thick before sharpening.  I think I'm going to thin it out a bit more.  I was trying for a durable but sharp edge, but it's too short to be a real effective chopper and the edge is too blunt to be scary sharp.  Really the worst of both worlds.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Just finished this guy up.  Harpoon hunter, 80CRV2 .140 thick @ 61RC, brass and linen micarta guard/spacers, stabilized buckeye burl handle.  I'll be holding a drawing at work for my employees to give this one away.  This is the first knife I've ground completely freehand, no work rest or anything.  Pretty happy with how that turned out.

Photo from before soldering the guard to show the size of the tang.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That harpoon is simply gorgeous.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
impressive
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Very, very cool work. I like that camp knife design. Nice and hefty

What kind of parts do you normally make with those machines?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Everything from MATV or JLTV parts to forestry equipment to commercial HVAC stuff.  And a lot of in between.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Dig that hamon on the OD knife.

Keep at it!
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm taking that guy camping in the Boundary Waters this weekend, I'll put it to some use.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]
very pretty knife, hope you can get a sheath that does it justice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm taking that guy camping in the Boundary Waters this weekend, I'll put it to some use.
View Quote

Love BWCA. Pics or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Compooters are hardddd.  I much prefer banging on hot semi-malleable steel for hours on end

Cool stuff OP
View Quote

I agree but I have total respect for the machinist
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

very pretty knife, hope you can get a sheath that does it justice.
View Quote

First sheath I've made I'm not embarrassed of!

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't take to many, took my baby Rhodesian Ridgeback and he was a hands full.

Batoned some firewood

Held up fine

Two things I don't go in without.

Mars the Ridgeback and my old lady.  He's 5 months old here, and did really well.  Slept in his tent all night, no whining.  Did OK in the canoe.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Cool stuff OP
View Quote

Well....

My current project: laminating stainless steel and carbon steel center.  I did multiple billets.  Most came apart when I started drawing them out.  So I made a final billet big enough to grind a stock removal knife out of.

This was take 1, there are 2 spots where the weld let loose.  It's 304/1095

Here's take 6.  Full weld, no delam.  Now that I know I can't draw this stuff out I'll start with thinner material because this guy is going to be a bruiser.

rough ground and ready for heat treat.  304 stainless cladding with a 1084 center.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:35:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, also, here's my makers mark finally

Yep, that's me.  Yep, that's a fish.  From a different Boundary Waters trip.  A cold one.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Chopper to test the practical limits of 80CRV2 edge geometry.  This has a very thin edge, about .015 behind the final convex, at 60 RC.  Sharpened hair shaving sharp.  Also testing the scales I cast with Alumilite for durability.  400 grit cork belt finish.  6" caliper for scale.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Dagger in process:

Damascus hunter I just finished for a coworker:

Camp/Field knife for an Arfcommer WIP:  

He wanted it parkerized black....wait what?

Long story short apparently my parkerizing tank was contaminated with some copper grinding dust.  And that's how you parkerize purple  New solution delivered today so hope to have this reblasted and parked over the weekend.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]
The hamon on that dagger is wicked.........
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Actually the color looks good, you can call it your stealth coating.

Whatever happened to the first couple of knives you made that were in the jigs up at the top? How did they turn out?
View Quote

I finished one and gave it to a co-worker, and fell out of love with the design.  I still have a pile I could finish, but I've had so much interest in that field knife that I've been focusing on that aside from whatever bug I get in my ass to try something new.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The hamon on that dagger is wicked.........
View Quote

Thank you!  It's very subtle.  I'm really using it as a test bed for getting the method down.  I'm going to re etch and polish with some different stuff soon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Just finished the middle and bottom one.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Newest edition.  Have had 4 of these blade blanks kicking around for a while an a young man in my shop today wanting to learn so I finished this while helping him out.  52100 steel, buckeye burl and g10, blasted and parkerized.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#29]
^ that is beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:29:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you.  I've got to try to fill the holes in that wood.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Big recurve Bowie.  1075 blade, polished out white hamon.  304 and copper guard.  Stabilized maple burl handle.  This is WIP needs finishing after I get some sheaths finished up on other projects.  Don't know why I made this honestly.  Just struck by the need to make something I hadn't yet with features I have not incorporate on other projects.  It's turning out well.

Early etch cycle

Hard to capture all the activity in that hamon.  I'll need to build a light box soon.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Sweet blades!
You definitely have skills and talent in your work.
Your logo also kicks ass!
I'd run the other way seeing you coming at me with a frozen fish.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sweet blades!
You definitely have skills and talent in your work.
Your logo also kicks ass!
I'd run the other way seeing you coming at me with a frozen fish.
View Quote

Haha.  Thank you very much. 

That was a rough night.  We were in the BCWA camping, mid January.  Around 4:30 it was getting dark and we were playing cards and eating supper when we heard the ''crunch crunch'' of snowshoes, which was really odd.  It was one of the guys from the resort we parked our vehicles at.  My friends family had got a hold of them because of a family medical emergency so he hiked in to notify us.  Friend hiked out with him to call home.  While they were gone the rest of us assumed the worst so we broke camp and packed up.  We humped everything out in pitch dark to the nearest non-BCAW lake and the folks at the resort shuttled us the rest of the way on their snowmobiles, but only had room for 3 per trip.  So I volunteered to go last and ended up sitting waiting sweaty from the hike in -20f for an hour for the sled to get back.

We picked the coldest week of the year to go, on accident, and that was the only fish we caught.  I didn't dare pack it away for fear of damaging the fins because of how they froze, so it was handy for the photo that really captured how I felt that night like no other, lol.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh, also, here's my makers mark finally

http://i66.tinypic.com/33ymbs9.jpgYep, that's me.  Yep, that's a fish.  From a different Boundary Waters trip.  A cold one.

http://i64.tinypic.com/r0r33m.jpg
View Quote

Love it
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#35]
That bowie really shows some skill!  It's definitely a looker, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Tagged for top shelf shank work.  

My kid is proud when he makes one out of an old file or lawnmower blade.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tagged for top shelf shank work.  

My kid is proud when he makes one out of an old file or lawnmower blade.
View Quote

Gotta start somewhere.  I cut my first one out of a chainsaw bar with a dremel and a bench grinder when I was 14.  It was....ugly.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#38]
You are truly talented.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks BMC that means a lot.  I did some more finishing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I wish I had looked closer at my finish before glue up.  Live and learn.  At least these scratches are only in a small area.  Unfortunately right where i put my mark.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]
oops....meant to start my own thread on this......I just copied and pasted it....my bad.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Working through a few this weekend then starting a customized Becker blank.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Whenever I do permanent handles I glue up with system 3 t-88 epoxy.  It's water proof and stupid strong.  The tensile shear strength changes with the materials but most joints are over 1250 psi.  It also take dye well.  Really great product. 
I use the little spring clamps because I want even pressure across the scale so it doesn't flex also I don't want so much pressure that all the epoxy is squeezed out of the joint.  If you do that it's guaranteed to fail eventually, even if it's pinned.

I just put scales on the top knife there and use no clamps because they are attached with Corby bolts so they provide the clamping force.  They are the perfect scale fastener in my opinion.  Strong, seamless, accurate in locating.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#46]
In the detail photo that shows the scratches how do you get those smoothed out? I got a knife kit from my wife and decided to go for a polished finish. I can see my reflection at this point from using different sandpapers but there are a number of scratches like in your photo that seem to be too much for sandpaper.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Like the close up of my logo? 
It's just sanding with a hard backer.  Typically on a hand sanded knife I'll start at 150 grit with a hard sanding block, and quickly it looks like all the scratches are gone.  Then I go to 220 and pow I see scratches again that I couldn't see before.  If they are not to deep I'll stay at 220 until they're gone, if not I'll go back to 150.  After I can't see any at 220 I jump to 500, and I try to sand across the grain from the direction I sanded at 220.  This makes the 220 scratches really pop out and I sand until they are gone.  Then 800 across the grain of 500 until the 500 scratches are gone.  Whenever they are not coming out, I step back down to a lower grit.  After 800 if I want a nice satin finish, I step back to 600 grit and sand with the length of the knife in one direction only until the swirls from back and forth at 800 are gone.  If it's going to be a polish, I take it to 1200 and etch, then polish.

Long story short stay sanding with a hard block until the scratches are gone and change directions to make them easier to see.  I only use a soft sanding block on the final grit whatever it may be for that knife.  Use wd40 as lube to carry swarf away.  Remember you aren't sanding scratches, you're bringing everything else down to their level.

My last bit of advice, buy good sandpaper, rhynowet red is the best I've found and use it like it's free.  As soon as it loses its bite, move along or you're wasting time.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll try to get some pictures of that progression here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Like the close up of my logo? 
It's just sanding with a hard backer.  Typically on a hand sanded knife I'll start at 150 grit with a hard sanding block, and quickly it looks like all the scratches are gone.  Then I go to 220 and pow I see scratches again that I couldn't see before.  If they are not to deep I'll stay at 220 until they're gone, if not I'll go back to 150.  After I can't see any at 220 I jump to 500, and I try to sand across the grain from the direction I sanded at 220.  This makes the 220 scratches really pop out and I sand until they are gone.  Then 800 across the grain of 500 until the 500 scratches are gone.  Whenever they are not coming out, I step back down to a lower grit.  After 800 if I want a nice satin finish, I step back to 600 grit and sand with the length of the knife in one direction only until the swirls from back and forth at 800 are gone.  If it's going to be a polish, I take it to 1200 and etch, then polish.

Long story short stay sanding with a hard block until the scratches are gone and change directions to make them easier to see.  I only use a soft sanding block on the final grit whatever it may be for that knife.  Use wd40 as lube to carry swarf away.  Remember you aren't sanding scratches, you're bringing everything else down to their level.

My last bit of advice, buy good sandpaper, rhynowet red is the best I've found and use it like it's free.  As soon as it loses its bite, move along or you're wasting time.  
View Quote

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but thank you. I had been using just my finger or a sanding sponge behind the sandpaper. I cut a small dowel at a roughly 45 degree angle, that plus dropping to a 120 grit where I my lowest previously had been a 220 made all the difference.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Cool!  Glad I could help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top