Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/30/2016 11:54:10 PM EDT
I've had a "cheap" Kershaw (Blur, Clash, etc.) in my pocket on a daily basis for years.

Recently I had the chance to get a Benchmade Griptilian for a great price.. so I jumped on it. I had always heard such good things about Benchmade and other higher end knife makers.
I've been carrying the Benchmade now for several months. I don't hate the knife by any means but I'm no more impressed with it than a Kershaw of half the price.

Am I missing something? I know the steel on the Benchmade is likely much stronger, etc. - but I don't even feel like it keeps an edge as good as its cheaper counterpart.

Talk to me, knife people.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, what's the blade steel of that griptillian, vs any of your Kershaws?

Kershaw and Benchmade both have amazing warranties, so most likely it'll come down to that, but if you're looking at 154CM vs one of the AUS8 Chinese knock off steels Kershaw uses, that's a massive part of it
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
A Griptilian is an entry level Benchmade. Yes, some people complain that the handle material feels cheap, ect.

How you sharpen the knife (at what degree) and what you're cutting has a lot to do with how quickly the knife goes dull.

A softer steel is easier to get scary sharp but the edge doesn't last as long.

A harder steel is harder to sharpen. So I'm curious how you sharpen your Griptilian. Also what blade shape and steel?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't like the handle there are options.

What steel 154cm?  
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Also would be curious at how great of a price you received - meaning, was the knife you bought genuine?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
ZT bud.

/thread
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My first BM had 154cm steel.  It was work to sharpen it with stones.  

I now have a 710-1401 made with m390 steel.   Much easier to sharpen, takes a wicked edge and keeps it with moderate use.  I am not as hard on knives as i used to be.

I sharpen it with a lansky at 17 degrees with the sapphire stone.

I never liked the feel of the griptillion.  Feels cheap and flexible.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ZT bud.

/thread
View Quote

I agree here. My 0566 with ELMAX is the best folder I've ever had
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Find a Emerson Benchmade CQC7 and enjoy
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've owned a 3550, returned an AFO II for being too massive, owned an auto Rift, and know a couple of people with Infidels. I am NOT a Benchmade fan and quickly sold each one soon after I bought it. I'm a huge Zero Tolerance fan though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Kershaw by no means makes bad knives. Also, as price increases, the value you receive in return doesn't increase linearly. You may have been expecting a bigger jump in quality than what is actually there. That said, you'd probably be happier with a Zero Tolerance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ZT bud.

/thread
View Quote

Love mine
It's a high end kershaw which is excatly what your looking for
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow! I carried an original Benchmade AFCK for decades without issue. Mine is a very early ATS34 blade. I'd clean and oil it regularly, and touch up the edge every so often. I also never use it to open cans, or whittle toothpicks. I keep a Swiss Army "Engineer" in another pocket for utility purposes.

Earlier this year the AFCK got sent to Benchmade for a cleaning and a tune up, which was performed without charge. My local laws turned it into a "concealed weapon" based on blade length alone, so I now carry a disposable, soulless Spyderco. The AFCK rests in honored retirement alongside my Blackjack A-F. They tell stories to the rest of my knives, and drink all their beer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of my Benchmades are S30V.

My Stryker in 154CM is a great knife, but an SOB to sharpen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to like Benchmade till I dealt with two employees at Bladeshow. Never again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used to like Benchmade till I dealt with two employees at Bladeshow. Never again.
View Quote

What happened?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What happened?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened?

Got alot of attitude after some questions about service, a past product and a prototype product, that's about as far as I want to go into it. Every other manufacturer I spoke to was golden compared to Benchmade's reps. Some going as far as finding the designers of certain knives to have a QA directly with.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Griptilian is benchmade's low cost knife and the plastic handle scales do feel cheap. Other than that it is rock solid. You still get an axis lock, great service, and good steel. It will outlast the other knives you have owned unless you lose it.

However, I was not too impressed with benchmade's 154cm (or any other stainless below S30V or similar) for holding an edge while cutting abrasive material. Try their D2 knives. They seem to do that steel very well.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Griptilian is benchmade's low cost knife and the plastic handle scales do feel cheap. Other than that it is rock solid. You still get an axis lock, great service, and good steel. It will outlast the other knives you have owned unless you lose it.

However, I was not too impressed with benchmade's 154cm (or any other stainless below S30V or similar) for holding an edge while cutting abrasive material. Try their D2 knives. They seem to do that steel very well.

View Quote

My first Benchmade was a mini Grip with some after market scales. I liked that little knife so much, I got the full size. Standard scales are indeed shitty, but I found the same scales my mini Grip have, and it greatly improved the feel in the hand, as well as making it more comfortable to carry, since the grips are slimmer.

Benchmade also sent me a deep carry clip for free when I emailed them asking where I could buy one like the previous owner of my mini Grip had put on.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My first Benchmade was a mini Grip with some after market scales. I liked that little knife so much, I got the full size. Standard scales are indeed shitty, but I found the same scales my mini Grip have, and it greatly improved the feel in the hand, as well as making it more comfortable to carry, since the grips are slimmer.

Benchmade also sent me a deep carry clip for free when I emailed them asking where I could buy one like the previous owner of my mini Grip had put on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer the fatter scales of the mini grip over a lot of other benchmades. It fits my hand better than the thinner handles.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've had a "cheap" Kershaw (Blur, Clash, etc.) in my pocket on a daily basis for years.

Recently I had the chance to get a Benchmade Griptilian for a great price.. so I jumped on it. I had always heard such good things about Benchmade and other higher end knife makers.
I've been carrying the Benchmade now for several months. I don't hate the knife by any means but I'm no more impressed with it than a Kershaw of half the price.

Am I missing something? I know the steel on the Benchmade is likely much stronger, etc. - but I don't even feel like it keeps an edge as good as its cheaper counterpart.

Talk to me, knife people.
View Quote

Spyderco PM2

/thread
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top