Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/23/2016 6:21:38 PM EDT
Any suggestions are appreciated
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used Razor Edge knife sharpening systems for years and recently purchased a Work Sharp Original Field kit that I use on my kitchen knives.  I still use Razor Edge on hunting and carry knives.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I use an Edge Pro Apex
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had good luck with the Lansky Deluxe 5 stone kit and a ceramic rod V sharpening block.

Not pimpy stuff, but both work well for my needs.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I still use the ceramic v sticks. Shaving sharp in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use an Edge Pro Apex
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
It depends on how much you want to spend.  I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker.  It works very well for most blades, and I don't plan to replace it.  If I could have a do over, I would probably spend more and get an Edge Pro Apex.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use an Edge Pro Apex
View Quote

This.Yes they are expensive but it's the last sharpener you'll ever need.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Edge Pro Apex here too, love it!
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been told you need to be very careful with belt sanders or grinders because you can easily overheat the metal and ruin the temper of the blade.  It would be very localized to the cutting edge.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up one of these from the PX on KAF. It works really well, but can be a bit challenging with larger knives.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use an Edge Pro Apex
View Quote

This. Love it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
DMT Aligner.  Compact and super easy to use.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been told you need to be very careful with belt sanders or grinders because you can easily overheat the metal and ruin the temper of the blade.  It would be very localized to the cutting edge.
View Quote

Yes you do have to be careful.

But with some practice over heating can be easily avoided.

IMO it is important to start with a course enough belt and to use light pressure while keeping the blade moving across the belt.

I am talking about belt sanders, not bench grinders.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#17]
It's a bit pricy, but my wife got me a a Wicked Edge (propack 1) for my birthday, and dang it gets knives freaking wicked sharp!!!! I literally could whittle hair with my hunting knife I ran through it! I would recommend it!!!

I'd eventually like to pick up the ceramics in order to get a better mirror edge. But this is what it looked like after working it for a while and stropping.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Work sharp

Takes a minute or two a knife

No skill involved at all and will get your knife razor sharp
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a bit pricy, but my wife got me a a Wicked Edge (propack 1) for my birthday, and dang it gets knives freaking wicked sharp!!!! I literally could whittle hair with my hunting knife I ran through it! I would recommend it!!!

I'd eventually like to pick up the ceramics in order to get a better mirror edge. But this is what it looked like after working it for a while and stropping.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/8B6FCBE6-B2E1-48D6-ABA4-5F99DE06F1F5_zpsqpuma7cb.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/48B6FBBA-A880-4925-9116-743419B6CC25_zps5vtwaiin.jpg
View Quote

These are great.  I got one a few months ago and as I get more practice I like it more and more.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

These are great.  I got one a few months ago and as I get more practice I like it more and more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a bit pricey, but my wife got me a a Wicked Edge (propack 1) for my birthday, and dang it gets knives freaking wicked sharp!!!! I literally could whittle hair with my hunting knife I ran through it! I would recommend it!!!

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/8B6FCBE6-B2E1-48D6-ABA4-5F99DE06F1F5_zpsqpuma7cb.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/48B6FBBA-A880-4925-9116-743419B6CC25_zps5vtwaiin.jpg

I'm still getting practices at it also. I sharpened a chefs knife that had dings and chips in the blade from the wife putting it in the dishwasher and it brought back the edge nicely and it's probably sharper than it's ever been. I sharpener my "beater" tenacious and I'm looking forward to sharpening my EDC blade (Benchmade 940) I just picked up a month ago, but it's still hair shaving sharp so I'm not going to touch it for a while. I sharpener my hunting knife (Benchmade saddle mountain skinner, pictures previously) and that was the first one I brought to a mirror edge and worked the longest and it's freaking wicked sharp!!! I've never had a knife that was seriously this sharp! I can slice paper into little slices just by running my knife over it. I sharpened my boys $20 "beater" knife and it got hair shaving sharp too!

I would say it's totally worth the price, may be a but hard to swallow at first but once you have it, there's no regretting it. I really want the ceramic stones.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm still getting practices at it also. I sharpened a chefs knife that had dings and chips in the blade from the wife putting it in the dishwasher and it brought back the edge nicely and it's probably sharper than it's ever been. I sharpener my "beater" tenacious and I'm looking forward to sharpening my EDC blade (Benchmade 940) I just picked up a month ago, but it's still hair shaving sharp so I'm not going to touch it for a while. I sharpener my hunting knife (Benchmade saddle mountain skinner, pictures previously) and that was the first one I brought to a mirror edge and worked the longest and it's freaking wicked sharp!!! I've never had a knife that was seriously this sharp! I can slice paper into little slices just by running my knife over it. I sharpened my boys $20 "beater" knife and it got hair shaving sharp too!

I would say it's totally worth the price, may be a but hard to swallow at first but once you have it, there's no regretting it. I really want the ceramic stones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a bit pricey, but my wife got me a a Wicked Edge (propack 1) for my birthday, and dang it gets knives freaking wicked sharp!!!! I literally could whittle hair with my hunting knife I ran through it! I would recommend it!!!

I've slowly added the finer diamond stones and ceramics to the kit I got.  I have not bought the strops for it yet because I already have a good tabletop set. I made a base out of plywood planning to do something better down the road, but it's too light and will move on you if you get moving too fast. I'm going to call a local kitchen remodeling place that does marble countertops and have them save me the piece they cut out for a sink, should be a good size and hopefully cheap since it's essentially scrap. I'm happy with the results I just need to get the base fixed up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've slowly added the finer diamond stones and ceramics to the kit I got.  I have not bought the strops for it yet because I already have a good tabletop set. I made a base out of plywood planning to do something better down the road, but it's too light and will move on you if you get moving too fast. I'm going to call a local kitchen remodeling place that does marble countertops and have them save me the piece they cut out for a sink, should be a good size and hopefully cheap since it's essentially scrap. I'm happy with the results I just need to get the base fixed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, my wife got me the Pro-pack 1 that came with the paper stone base, the basic kit, and then the 800/1000 and then the strops with the micron paste. I asked for that one because it was slightly cheaper getting it with the pro pack 1 kit than it would to add them later (total cost).
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#23]
OP what did you end up going with?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Just received my Lanksy 5 stone kit and pedestal last week.  No risk of taking off too much material while still making it almost effortless.  It has some shortcomings such as the pedestal seems like it could have been built better and the clamp could use some delrin pads inside of it to prevent marring.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just received my Lanksy 5 stone kit and pedestal last week.  No risk of taking off too much material while still making it almost effortless.  It has some shortcomings such as the pedestal seems like it could have been built better and the clamp could use some delrin pads inside of it to prevent marring.
View Quote

Blue painters tape will stop your scratch problem.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top