Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/22/2016 9:28:17 PM EDT
Anybody have any? Where would they rank against something from Cold Steel?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personally for the price of some of their stuff, you would be better off buying something like Kershaw. They are pretty low quality, steel is normally AUS-8 which is super soft. I do not like them what so ever. Save the money and buy ZT or Benchmade.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I was issued a SOG Seal Pup It still works and does what I need it to do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was issued a SOG Seal Pup It still works and does what I need it to do.
View Quote

I used mine as a bushcrafter. Just simple Baton work and I snapped the blade
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Junk. There's still plenty of brands made here in the US with way better quality.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Junk now.  Seki Japan made stuff is available if you look around (EBay).
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Junk.  If you are looking at something like the SEAL Pup, I'd get a Gerber Strongarm.  If you are looking to spend more ESEE.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a SEAL 2000 in 1994 and it's a tough knife and I have a Tigershark (before the handguard and skull crusher idiocy was added) I haven't beat on that as much but it has the same steel. However SOG went quantity over quality now and aren't very good. When I got the SEAL nobody had ever heard of SOG, now they sell cheap shit at Walmart with Erme's face all over it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Personally for the price of some of their stuff, you would be better off buying something like Kershaw. They are pretty low quality, steel is normally AUS-8 which is super soft. I do not like them what so ever. Save the money and buy ZT or Benchmade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want buy a SOG, take it! With : SEKI JAPAN markings.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=4&t=449569
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Seki knives are GTG.

The top is a Desert Dagger knock off.  The two in the middle are Seki made, the bottom from Edmond Wa.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Seki knives are GTG.

The top is a Desert Dagger knock off.  The two in the middle are Seki made, the bottom from Edmond Wa.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/Simply_Green/3194e50f86fbc48acddb6e681a1294fb_zpsa3cbqbfa.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Seki knives are GTG.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/Simply_Green/3194e50f86fbc48acddb6e681a1294fb_zpsa3cbqbfa.jpg

If you want to hate me, I have an original desert dagger, seki stamped iirc.

Probably been out of the sheath 10 times?

It's the only sog knife I have, for what its worth.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Seki knives are GTG.

Nice, but have no use for it.  New condition are pretty valuable now.  The clone I have was like ten dollars.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:12:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm about 15 minutes from their main US building in Lynnwood, WA. Seems they make most stuff in China just looking at knives and their packaging, the office building I've been in with their showroom and sales counter isn't really big enough for much production I would think. They'll sharpen for free forever in their office though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Super soft?  Where did you get that?  There are better steels and you will pay for it.  But AUS-8 is not a bad steel. My personal experience sharpening AUS-8 was I switched from using stones to diamond hones because sharpening was difficult.  It also has superior toughness.  

I agree with with Kershaw and ZT, I have several of those brands along with Spyderco.  My kid has a couple SOG's and so do I.  I would not overspend on a SOG, but they aren't horrible knives and have performed well for me.  

I am not sure where the AUS-8 super soft comment comes from.  Real world experience by me says it is not.  I do not have any Rockwell values to give you at this point, but it is not a BAD steel, there are just better steels these days.  Open up your pocket book it you want better.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Super soft?  Where did you get that?  There are better steels and you will pay for it.  But AUS-8 is not a bad steel. My personal experience sharpening AUS-8 was I switched from using stones to diamond hones because sharpening was difficult.  It also has superior toughness.    

I agree with with Kershaw and ZT, I have several of those brands along with Spyderco.  My kid has a couple SOG's and so do I.  I would not overspend on a SOG, but they aren't horrible knives and have performed well for me.  

I am not sure where the AUS-8 super soft comment comes from.  Real world experience by me says it is not.  I do not have any Rockwell values to give you at this point, but it is not a BAD steel, there are just better steels these days.  Open up your pocket book it you want better.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:I

Personally for the price of some of their stuff, you would be better off buying something like Kershaw. They are pretty low quality, steel is normally AUS-8 which is super soft. I do not like them what so ever.Save the money and buy ZT or Benchmade.

Because companies are importing AUS8 with shitty heat treatment (CRKT for example).

AUS 8 is a decent lower end steel if heat treated well. It is tough and takes a good edge but loses it quickly as it has lower wear resistance than VG 10, 440C, 154CM or other mid range steels.

With its low wear resistance it should still sharpen on natural stones though
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd buy one of their few remaining SEKI knives, but probably pass on the others.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Because companies are importing AUS8 with shitty heat treatment (CRKT for example).

AUS 8 is a decent lower end steel if heat treated well. It is tough and takes a good edge but loses it quickly as it has lower wear resistance than VG 10, 440C, 154CM or other mid range steels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally for the price of some of their stuff, you would be better off buying something like Kershaw. They are pretty low quality, steel is normally AUS-8 which is super soft. I do not like them what so ever.Save the money and buy ZT or Benchmade.

Well that's what I read too.  But it takes forever with the tridents and the two older SOGs I have sharpened.  I almost cut and pasted that exact sentence from one of the websites I looked up just to see.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well that's what I read too.  But it takes forever with the tridents and the two older SOGs I have sharpened.  I almost cut and pasted that exact sentence from one of the websites I looked up just to see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too use diamonds for everything though. I have too many high carbide steels.

After you were talking about the toughness I went and looked it up, i was surprised at the reviews it got for toughness
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]
My ZT's would never sharpen with stones.  Diamonds all the way.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a used sog multitool.  A few uses with it and I would say it is crap compared to leatherman.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I owned a few and was never really impressed. It was one of those beginner knives you get without really researching it. That being said, I had a SOG Pentagon Elite that I lost that I absolutely loved. That knife went everywhere with me and I wish I knew what happened to it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a Twitch II as a present once. Decent knife. The edge didn't hold long. And the "safety" (it uses a quick pen assist spring) broke so now its a pain to open. I have had it fixed by the factory before but it was broken again in like 6 months. Have had a Kershaw Blur for 3 years now. Great knife for the money.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Field pup that I got years ago. No real complaint about it other than the slightly curved blade that makes it hard to sharpen.

I just looked them up and the new model doesn't have the same nice sheath like mine does. Who ever designed the sheath on mine did a nice job. It fits a multi tool perfectly in the little pouch on the front or a small DMT stone.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a SEKI desert dagger for years but never had much use for it.  Sold it a few years back to someone on this forum.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a couple of flash II's and am very pleased with them.  Amazon seems to have the best price.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#26]
The newer slim jim is awesome
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top