Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/17/2016 7:50:12 PM EDT
I like having a knife as part of my EDC. I want to add another blade to mix in my rotation. I like smaller, fixed blades. Usually 3 inch and under. My requirements pushed me toward th Esee Izula http://www.eseeknives.com/izula.htm. It is 1095 which is, IMO, a good all around steel. Not the best but surely not the worst. Then I was looking at the Damascus Izula http://www.eseeknives.com/damascus-izula.htm. It says it is 180 layers of 1080 and 15N20. Is the price difference worth it to get the Damascus?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I like having a knife as part of my EDC. I want to add another blade to mix in my rotation. I like smaller, fixed blades. Usually 3 inch and under. My requirements pushed me toward th Esee Izula http://www.eseeknives.com/izula.htm. It is 1095 which is, IMO, a good all around steel. Not the best but surely not the worst. Then I was looking at the Damascus Izula http://www.eseeknives.com/damascus-izula.htm. It says it is 180 layers of 1080 and 15N20. Is the price difference worth it to get the Damascus?
View Quote

My venom green para-corded Izula (kit) is fine for my needs.

The Damascus version seems to be about $130.  If you have the funds to blow, why not?

Nothing wrong with 1095.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
For 130 you could almost get get an Izula and and ESEE 3
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Is 180 layers of 1080 and 15N20 better than 1095? I know what 1095 can do? I never had  a Damascus blade.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is 180 layers of 1080 and 15N20 better than 1095? I know what 1095 can do? I never had  a Damascus blade.
View Quote

It looks cool but functionally, probably not
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Not concerned about looks just function.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something "in between" - 440C SS?  The price is a little more than a regular Izula, the blade is uncoated and doesn't require a lot of care...  YMMV.  <photo with TKC G10 scales>

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#7]
The Damascus version would likely be a rust magnet if you don't care for it properly, but it does have a very good look to it.  The stainless looks good and the 440 with a decent heat treatment should work well.  Then there is the Swamprat Rodent 3 I'll toss in the ring at about the same cost as the the Damascus, wee bit longer blade at 3" and little longer handle so you can really get a grip when compared to the Izula's short handle and some pretty tough steel in the SR101.  I have been on the edge looking at SW R-3, just haven't hit the buy button yet, have the Rodent 4 and it's a substantial blade for it's size.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
The only reason to go with Damascus is if you like the way it looks.

I wouldn't think that it would be superior to Rowen's 1095.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The only reason to go with Damascus is if you like the way it looks.

I wouldn't think that it would be superior to Rowen's 1095.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Ordered izula
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ordered izula
View Quote

Not a bad choice, as I bought one.

Which one did you buy?

I went with the venom green kit.

Enjoy it, whatever one you went with.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Between those 2 stick with the 1095.  The extra price doesnt justify Damascus. From a function standpoint I still don't understand Damascus.

If you really wanted a better steel then look for something with CPM3V, D2,A2, or even CPM154 and s35VN. If you look around you can find a small fixed blade in some of these steels around $150 mark. Bark River comes to mind.

If you have never used CPM3V I would highly suggest saving the money and trying to get one in that. It is my favorite steel followed by A2.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Between those 2 stick with the 1095.  The extra price doesnt justify Damascus. From a function standpoint I still don't understand Damascus.

If you really wanted a better steel then look for something with CPM3V, D2,A2, or even CPM154 and s35VN. If you look around you can find a small fixed blade in some of these steels around $150 mark. Bark River comes to mind.

If you have never used CPM3V I would highly suggest saving the money and trying to get one in that. It is my favorite steel followed by A2.
View Quote

My favorite blade right now is my bark river 3V mini fox.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#14]
SS Izula everyday.  Love it.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top