Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2016 11:12:54 PM EDT
Gift for someone.  Here are the criteria:

- Purpose: Primarily defensive; this is the most important criterion
- Geometry: Must puncture and cut well; drop or spear point preferred; 3-3.5" blade; not too picky on grind
- Steel: Stainless, close to 440C would be nice, but don't get too hung up on the steel
- Mechanism: Quick open, but not necessarily assisted
- Handle: Don't care about material, but must be lightweight
- Price: ~$25-75, but don't let that stop you from going a bit higher not to exceed $100
- Brand: Not Spyderco

If you are going to suggest something different from the choices below, I would appreciate a photo or link.

Here are some candidates:

1) C.R.K.T. 320GXP Outrage, $39.95

2) C.R.K.T. Argus, $74.95

3) C.R.K.T. Ripple, $77

4) C.R.K.T. M16 series

5) Kershaw Fatback, $23.95

6) Kershaw RJ Tactical, $23.95

7) Kershaw Volt II, $28.95

8) Kershaw OSO Sweet, $23.95

9) SOG Aegis, $66.95
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
CKRT Endorser looks pretty nice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
No spyderco makes it a little harder as they're the most consistent as far as quality in that price range with Kershaw a close second.

CRKT would be out as their imports (all of them) are hit or miss as far as quality goes, use bleh steel and while are interesting designs the execution is the problem. If this is to be a "defensive knife" things like shitty locks become an issue and that's one thing CRKT fails at.

A fixed blade is always better for defense but if a folder is needed we'll look at that.

Near the top of your range you can score a used ZT or Benchmade if you watch the EE or Bladeforums for sale boards.
The Benchmade HK line has a couple standouts like this

Klik hurr

D2 steel, G10 handles, Axis lock. Good to go

The kershaw knockout in ELmax is a good deal
click here

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a defensive knife, get a fixed blade or something with a wave.  Kershaw has a cheap line of Emerson inspired knives:  https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives?search=emerson
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The Kershaw 1840CKT Shallot is the best they offer in my opinion for a defensive knife under $100.   It has a fantastic blade, good length, good grip, fast flip action, and excellent steel quality.  

Link

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Sir, what you want is an offensive folder not a defensive folder.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Hoffner 3.5", diff handle art avail.  $59. G10, 440C.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No spyderco makes it a little harder as they're the most consistent as far as quality in that price range with Kershaw a close second.

CRKT would be out as their imports (all of them) are hit or miss as far as quality goes, use bleh steel and while are interesting designs the execution is the problem. If this is to be a "defensive knife" things like shitty locks become an issue and that's one thing CRKT fails at.

A fixed blade is always better for defense but if a folder is needed we'll look at that.

Near the top of your range you can score a used ZT or Benchmade if you watch the EE or Bladeforums for sale boards.
The Benchmade HK line has a couple standouts like this

Klik hurr

D2 steel, G10 handles, Axis lock. Good to go

The kershaw knockout in ELmax is a good deal
click here

View Quote

When OP posted about CRKT, these were my thoughts as well.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you, gents.  I'll go with a Kershaw most likely.  Not sure which one yet, but I'll post thoughts on what I get.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
ZT350, Ive used one defensively. Bought 2 to replace it since my original one is still being held by the Honolulu PD. they're built like a tank and durable. EDC for me.
Bought my last one for $100 off the EE.

that being said, knives suck for defense.

http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Tolerance-Handle-Speed-Safe/dp/B002QFJLEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463626587&sr=8-1&keywords=zt350

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ZT350, Ive used one defensively. Bought 2 to replace it since my original one is still being held by the Honolulu PD. they're built like a tank and durable. EDC for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Tolerance-Handle-Speed-Safe/dp/B002QFJLEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463626587&sr=8-1&keywords=zt350

View Quote

Not to change the subject, but do you care to vaguely elaborate?

I carry a griptilian with a zip tie "ghetto wave" and I like it. It is lightning fast to deploy, and I can open it slowly to let others use it without scaring them. My esee 3 always gets the "whoa Rambo" comments, but my griptilian is just as large of a blade but seems "safer" or something.

I also loved my Spyderco Tenacious until I lost it. My next purchase will be a Spyderco PM2.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I carry a griptilian with a zip tie "ghetto wave" and I like it. It is lightning fast to deploy, and I can open it slowly to let others use it without scaring them. My esee 3 always gets the "whoa Rambo" comments, but my griptilian is just as large of a blade but seems "safer" or something.

I also loved my Spyderco Tenacious until I lost it. My next purchase will be a Spyderco PM2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres a thread in team, slightly over a year ago. Thread was copied on pistol-forum.com iirc . If you search "nwred stabbing" , its on the first page of Google.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Theres a thread in team, slightly over a year ago. Thread was copied on pistol-forum.com iirc . If you search "nwred stabbing" , its on the first page of Google.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a pretty good read and one of the reasons my next few knives will be zt knives.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's a pretty good read and one of the reasons my next few knives will be zt knives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like ZTs, they work and are durable. At ll=east the 300/350s I own.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Kershaw 1840CKT Shallot is the best they offer in my opinion for a defensive knife under $100.   It has a fantastic blade, good length, good grip, fast flip action, and excellent steel quality.  

Link

http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/kershaw/images/1840CKTd.jpg
View Quote

I like the shallot but I prefer the feel of the blur.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 for the blur
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
+1 for the blur
View Quote

Wouldn't want to stab with it. No choil or guard.

If we're looking for a "defensive" knife it has to be considered as if you hit bone your hand is going to slide toward the blade.

The flippers all have a built in guard for the flipper tab

It's not much but could save your fingers
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top