Is this a reasonable tool for this
task?

Or I would take some recommendations
for someone who can do this for me.

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You would have to remove a good bit of the profile, and might end up with a bit of an awkward blade.
I think both of those have compound grinds, so the more you remove, the thicker the blade and the wider edge grind will be.

Personally, I'd sell them and buy their equivalent with a standard blade.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done it on a spyderco manix 2.

I wouldn't do it again.

I have to say that the solution is to buy knives without serrations.

I will never buy another serrated blade.  Especially a partially serrated one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely sell them and buy plain blade versions...

It's way too much work, will remove a TON of material, and will likely damage the temper of the blade if you don't keep it cool while grinding...
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok.  I guess I'll just stash the
Prodigys in my gear & buy a
few of the Strong Arms. They
are essentially the same knife,
less the serrations, and cost
about the same.

Thanks for the responses.

John
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of us came to the same conclusion, and it's why the PE blades sell out first now. The makers see blades sell regardless and the general public hasn't got the memo so it's not going to change soon. It just forces us to step up and buy earlier in the process than we might have in the past because of limited stock.

Or you get stuck hunting down the last of it's kind and that's usually connected to a penalty fee for being late. Don't be that guy. They put us in a special forum and laugh when we aren't signed on.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Roger that!

John

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of us came to the same conclusion, and it's why the PE blades sell out first now. The makers see blades sell regardless and the general public hasn't got the memo so it's not going to change soon. It just forces us to step up and buy earlier in the process than we might have in the past because of limited stock.

Or you get stuck hunting down the last of it's kind and that's usually connected to a penalty fee for being late. Don't be that guy. They put us in a special forum and laugh when we aren't signed on.
View Quote

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top