Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/29/2016 12:42:31 AM EDT
Update #2

Ordered myself a Benchmade 940bk! Can't wait for it to get here!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update #1

Okay after doing a ton of research and a lot of back and fourth, I've pretty much Decided I'm going to go with the Benchmade 940bk.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife bought me an amazing Father's Day gift several years ago of the Spyderco Embassy auto knife I had been wanting but couldn't justify buying. Carried it for YEARS, loved that knife! Fell out of my pocket at work (really not sure how that even happened), someone found it and turned it into a manager, I inquired if anyone had found it and they said yes someone did. We went to retrieve it from the managers desk and it was gone, someone had stolen it. Video showed another employee (fairly large company and I don't know everyone who works there) getting what appeared to be a knife from the drawer. They talked to that person and said person lied and said they were retrieving ANOTHER knife from the drawer yeah they had lost (I don't buy it). They can't confirm or deny his claim, nothing I could do (they wouldn't tell me who it was).

Anyway, I've been carrying around my Spyderco Tenacious, which is a decent knife and a pretty good value. However, after having a nice knife in my pocket for years I feel like I want another nice knife.

I've looked in the deepest darkest corners of the Internet for another Spyderco Embassy (black, plane edge). Only places I could find it were on 3rd party sale sites for $310, $450 and $500..... And each one was already sold.

So now, I'm taking suggestions on what knife I should look into purchasing. I know everyone says get a benchmade and I like the new benchmade CLA auto, and that's high on my list. However aesthetics are not 100% what I like, but doable.

It doesn't have to be an auto but I really liked the fast deployment. However with some auto's I've heard there is quite a bit of play in the lockup, I never had that with my embassy..

-Keep it around $100-$200 maybe a little more if it's totally worth it, but I would like to stick around that price point.

-Id like it to be a fairly thin knife so when it rides in the pocket it doesn't feel like I've got a big bulky fixed blade in my pocket. This will be an EDC blade that yes, even if it's $200 it will get used for its intended purposes. So functionality is best, it could be used for whatever I may need a knife for. I like S30V, but that's not a must. Just putting that out there... I don't want it to be too thin though that it's not really functional. My tenacious is about as think as I want to go.

-I want fast deployment, I prefer the thumb hole, Spyder hole, and yes I'm a fan of Spyderco knives so I may end up going with a little nicer Spyderco, but flippers and thumb plates and even wave features are okay too, not a huge fan of the thumb stud, but won't rule it out just on that, especially if it still deployed extremely fast.

-For that price point I want it to be a knife I will carry for many more years to come, and have got aesthetics that I dig.

I have a Benchmade Hunt knife so I know the quality of Benchmade is there and I have been a fan of Spyderco for quite some time, but it doesn't have to be those two only.

I love the look of this blade style too, but here are a few pictures of the embassy, it shall be missed)

And just for size the tenacious is in the middle, Spyderco navigator is on the left and embassy on the right, I like the size of the embassy.

Thanks for the Help in advance!!

For the TLDR people:
Need a new knife, price point between $100-$200 depending, quick deployment and a quality knife.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-Tolerance-0350TSST-Spring--12711  

Love this knife! Had it about 3 years now and RARELY carry any other knife now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#2]
S110V PM2

/thread
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I went through a knife phase. Started with Benchmade, ZT and Spyderco stuff then moved to midtechs and customs that I actually would use and carry. Price range was $400-$1000. Went through about twenty different expensive knives then just lost interest because I figured out that owning a Spyderco Military, Para Military 2 and Manix 2 gives me everything I need and a little variety to choose from day to day. If I break or lose one I can buy a replacement for $100 or less on any knife forum.

If I could only have one knife it would be the Spyderco Manix 2. Its a close race with the Para 2 but the Manix has a stouter blade that I like. The Para is about perfect for EDC though. If you are into sprint runs you can go crazy with all three models and the different steel/scale colors. One day I'll have an orange military just because.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for trying, I contacted them the other day and they said they no longer carry it. (You'd think they would update the page to say out of stock)
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
S110V PM2

/thread
View Quote

My GF gave me this for Valentine's Day.  While not an 'auto,' nor an 'assisted' knife, it deploys quickly in my casual fiddling.  The sharp point might be an issue in certain 'duties,' but it has a nice steel and it's a looker with those cobalt blue scales.

I'm looking at the Manix 2 with the same G10 scales and steel.

I'm looking at a couple of other PM IIs, because I think that they're a capable, but elegant looking knife.

I'd like one in ELMAX, Carpenter 204P, or S35vn.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
So I've really been looking into the Benchmade 940BK.

I prefer black coated blades, so the coating adds 10 bucks more from the sattin finish. However I just like the way it looks. Cost wise it's in that range depending on where you buy it. I wish there was a Black handle model but it looks like they only did a limited edition version with black handles. I do dig the 940-1 but that's a lot more money and to me it's not worth it.

I'm seriously considering pulling trigger on this one.

Here are a couple pictures I found online to show ya'll what I'm thinking.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
To me, that's a nice looking knife.  I like the purple back spacer, although I think that the blade is a bit short in belly, it appears nicely shaped.

I like the green handles as well.  

Chris
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To me, that's a nice looking knife.  I like the purple back spacer, although I think that the blade is a bit short in belly, it appears nicely shaped.

I like the green handles as well.  

Chris
View Quote

That's actually what I like about it, the green took a while, but I'm digging it, ALOT! Also really like the purple back spacer although I wish they would have done a purple thumb stud to match. Might be able to swap that out with an after market one?

I actually am liking the smaller blade. It appears functional and can do all mid duty work if needed. One thing I do like about it is, it looks like I would blend into my pocket and ride well without getting "in the way".

I was actually looking into the Benchmade contego, but after finding the 940bk I quickly changed my mind due to size.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
It is hard to beat a Protech auto for fit, finish, durability, and super tight lockup.   This one is the perfect size blade, built for use, and meets all your criteria.   I have many protechs and they are great knives!

Protech Les George Rockeye
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I've Decided I want to buy the 940bk
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great choice.

Love my 940-1

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It is hard to beat a Protech auto for fit, finish, durability, and super tight lockup.   This one is the perfect size blade, built for use, and meets all your criteria.   I have many protechs and they are great knives!

Protech Les George Rockeye
View Quote
I have the flipper version, ZT 0909.

Great knife.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great choice.

Love my 940-1

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/osbornemon_zpscnracfg0.jpg

Is that Both the Contego and the 940!??

I am still having a hard time deciding which one I want. I really want both, but can't get both right now. Which one do you carry the most? Could you give me some more "side by side" comparisons!?

You wouldn't happen to have a Spyderco Tenaceous? I only ask because I switched back to my tenacious while waiting on replacing my stolen knife. If you do, would you be able to throw that in the mix as well just for size comparison of both.

I've been pretty impressed with torture tests I've seen for the Contego M4 steel. My main concern is the "grip" on the 940, I don't want it to get too "slick" over years of use.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I lose an EDC pocket knife roughly once every 6 months. Nothing I can do about it.

So now I just keep buying the cheap Kershaw assisted opening knives like  this:  http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1835TBLKST-Folding-SpeedSafe-Serration/dp/B0074FDKN8
Or this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0057R8SSM/ref=pd_aw_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Ab4Ef-fpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL300_SR300%2C300_&refRID=11YAHWP5DPMM08Z1YRDA

I know you wanted to spend 100-200, but these will cut the shit outta shit, stay sharp, open fast, and I don't curse the gods (much) when I lose them.  I've had more expensive knifes that werent any better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am still having a hard time deciding which one I want. I really want both, but can't get both right now. Which one do you carry the most? Could you give me some more "side by side" comparisons!?

You wouldn't happen to have a Spyderco Tenaceous? I only ask because I switched back to my tenacious while waiting on replacing my stolen knife. If you do, would you be able to throw that in the mix as well just for size comparison of both.

I've been pretty impressed with torture tests I've seen for the Contego M4 steel. My main concern is the "grip" on the 940, I don't want it to get too "slick" over years of use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great choice.

Love my 940-1

I don't have a Tenacious, but give me a little bit and I'll take some pics of the two together.

I'm surprised I don't have more of the two together.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't have a Tenacious, but give me a little bit and I'll take some pics of the two together.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great choice.

Love my 940-1

I appreciate it man! I am leaning towards the 940, but just want to make sure I'm making the right decision on the 940 since I want both.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry, got held up so I did this in a hurry so not great lighting .

If there are any other angles you'd like to see let me know.

They're great knives on a little bit different ends of the spectrum
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/bestbuds_zpsvtdmvarg.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/ooo_zpsb5sbattz.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/open_zpszibsmw6r.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/closedback_zpsqr5sow5n.jpg

View Quote

Thanks man! I really appreciate it!!! I think you nailed it on the angles, other than seeing a pocket shot while they ride in the pockets.

This really helped! Especially in some of those angles I think it helped solidify my decision on the 940.

Which one do you carry the most?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#20]
The 940 with the std clip projects up and out of the pocket just a bit, with a deep concealed clip it disappears and you don't hardly know it's in your pocket.  The grip on the handle has never really been an issue or gotten slick and I've used mine for a very long time doing all sorts things.  It's a good choice unless you prefer a the more pointy 943.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The 940 with the std clip projects up and out of the pocket just a bit, with a deep concealed clip it disappears and you don't hardly know it's in your pocket.  The grip on the handle has never really been an issue or gotten slick and I've used mine for a very long time doing all sorts things.  It's a good choice unless you prefer a the more pointy 943.
View Quote

Thanks man! I think I'm pretty set on the 940. The more I look at it the more I want it! I saw a picture of one next to a Spyderco Tenacious (the one I'm currently carrying) and I think I like the size a lot!! Was concerned it would be too small. I think the Contego would be a great knife and I'd love it, but would be a little too big for EDC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks man! I really appreciate it!!! I think you nailed it on the angles, other than seeing a pocket shot while they ride in the pockets.

This really helped! Especially in some of those angles I think it helped solidify my decision on the 940.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/bestbuds_zpsvtdmvarg.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/ooo_zpsb5sbattz.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/open_zpszibsmw6r.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/closedback_zpsqr5sow5n.jpg

Probably the 940-1, I do a carry rotation that's based on what I'm doing. If I'm going to be outdoors more I'll work the Contego in more, especially for yard work.

If I'm going to be around town or relaxing the 940-1 or 943. They're great all purpose knives. They really pack a lot of blade into a smallish knife.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
" />
Carrying my 940 today. Like Star_Scream said, it is a great knife for casual carry. If I'm wearing jeans, it or my 943 is in my pocket. With the deep pocket clip they practically disappear.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/Zee1000/Mobile%20Uploads/20160427_120416_zpslbhz4v6b.jpg</a>" />
Carrying my 940 today. Like Star_Scream said, it is a great knife for casual carry. If I'm wearing jeans, it or my 943 is in my pocket. With the deep pocket clip they practically disappear.
View Quote

I emailed BM and they sent me the deep carry clips for all my benchmades for free.

Great service .
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I emailed BM and they sent me the deep carry clips for all my benchmades for free.

Great service .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/Zee1000/Mobile%20Uploads/20160427_120416_zpslbhz4v6b.jpg</a>" />

Great service .

That's what I've heard. Ill have to contact them and see if they will send me out one of the deep pocket clips!

Anyone able to tell me if I'd be able to switch out the thumb stud for a purple one?

Also just ordered one!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I've heard nothing but good things about their service, as well. I'm only 2 hours north of them, one of these days I plan to go check out there factory.

ETA Enjoy your new knife!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've heard nothing but good things about their service, as well. I'm only 2 hours north of them, one of these days I plan to go check out there factory.

ETA Enjoy your new knife!!
View Quote

Thanks! Pretty excited!! I have no experience with their folders but I've heard nothing but good things. I've got one of their Saddle Mountain skinners and I LOVE IT! Fantastic knife and skins and quarters deer like butter!!
I've been a Spyderco guy for quite a long time and haven't carried a knife with a thumb stud for quite a while so that's someth I've been nervous about with changing from a Spyderco and their Spyder hole.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Just contacted bench made and they are sending me out a deep pocket clip! Sweet!!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top