Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/28/2016 3:55:14 PM EDT

knife sharpening system-I am really impressed-after practicing on some cheaper knives, this thing is amazing-till I got to an old Gerber Boot knife

kind of like this one but with a serrated edge on top-

I could not get an edge on it-is this some really hardened steel or am I missing something-all the other knives-kitchen, pocket, skinning knives, slicked up faster than snot-this old Gerber I think got duller-what am I missing? I don't want to grind down the blade with something courser-should the RPM be higher on this stell-hell, I don't even know what kind of steel it is-

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try a zero grind from center to edge with no relief.
You would need to take the guide off the grinder.
Old Gerber daggers were hard to get really sharp.
Steel was selected for blade toughness not ease of sharpening or edge making/holding abilities.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
are the belts worn out?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

are the belts worn out?
View Quote
I sharpened 10-12 knives, the kitchen knives were pretty bad, did the Gerber on that belt, switched to another new medium grit and still no edge on it,  nice and shiny though. Went back to the first belt, and did a couple more pocket knives, which put a quick edge on them with 4-6 pulls.  It's some tough steel. More grit? Higher RPM's?

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I sharpen knives on a different type belt sander but same principal.

Usually when I am having trouble getting a knife sharp its because I am not using a coarse enough belt.

The result is that the edge is not getting ground down and it is still dull and rounded.

Get a sharpie and blacken the edge on both sides.

Make a few passes on each side and see if you are grinding all the way and removing all the marking.

Once you get all the way to the edge you should have a wire edge or burr for the full length of the blade.

Then start stepping down to finer belts.

Go slow and don't get it too hot.

With the work sharp and the correct belts you should be able to put a nice edge on just about any knife.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not sure how much you know about sharpening.

One idea to understand is you are sharpening at the lowest grit.
You are refinining/polishing as your grit gets finer.

If the knife isn't getting sharp you may need to use a more course grit.

I like to use a starting grit that puts an edge on the knife quickly, then move on honing the edge.

Drop down to a lower grit, give it a few swipes to see how the blade reacts.

Another problem you might be having is you could be reprofiling the edge and just haven't reached the apex yet because the grit you're using is too fine to do it quickly enough.

I personally wouldn't want to keep any of my good knives on too long, and would rather use a course grit for shorter 'bursts' than a finer grit for a longer duration.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Im not sure how much you know about sharpening.

One idea to understand is you are sharpening at the lowest grit.

You are refinining/polishing as your grit gets finer.

If the knife isn't getting sharp you may need to use a more course grit.

I like to use a starting grit that puts an edge on the knife quickly, then move on honing the edge.

Drop down to a lower grit, give it a few swipes to see how the blade reacts.

Another problem you might be having is you could be reprofiling the edge and just haven't reached the apex yet because the grit you're using is too fine to do it quickly enough.

I personally wouldn't want to keep any of my good knives on too long, and would rather use a course grit for shorter 'bursts' than a finer grit for a longer duration.
View Quote
I went to the coursest grit and then back down and finally got an edge on the Gerber, not nearly as sharp as the one I put on my Kershaw launch, which now shaves hair off my arm. I never truly understood about the differences in steel, I'm going to work on the Gerber some more. Are the leather belts any use for stroping? Or is this just hype?

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have one of these.
Are you asking if you should buy a leather belt for stropping, or did it come with one and you're asking if stropping is hype and worth your time to do it?

Stropping is not hype.
It can knock off burrs and align the edge after sharpening.
Some steels like VG-10 I find require stropping to get good results.

You should definitely strop.
Use light pressure (lighter than you think)
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't have one of these.

Are you asking if you should buy a leather belt for stropping, or did it come with one and you're asking if stropping is hype and worth your time to do it?

Stropping is not hype.

It can knock off burrs and align the edge after sharpening.

Some steels like VG-10 I find require stropping to get good results.

You should definitely strop.

Use light pressure (lighter than you think)
View Quote
Thanks- have one on the way-

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, I got this from Amazon a few months ago. They fit the Ken Onion WS (but not the regular WS)
http://www.amazon.com/x12-Leather-Honing-Polishing-Belt/dp/B017WR81WM
I've only used it a few times on my Busse Team Gemini, it worked well and is made in USA.
ETA: It's a 3/4x12" leather honing belt for KO, in case the link doesn't work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went to the coursest grit and then back down and finally got an edge on the Gerber, not nearly as sharp as the one I put on my Kershaw launch, which now shaves hair off my arm. I never truly understood about the differences in steel, I'm going to work on the Gerber some more. Are the leather belts any use for stroping? Or is this just hype?  
View Quote

The extra fine belt is 6,000 grit and serves as the stropping belt. No real need for a leather belt IMO.  There's also an ultra-fine belt that's 12,000 grit.  The leather belt just affords you the ability to load your own polishing compound.

If you can't get the blade shaving sharp with the extra-fine or ultra-fine belts then it's something in your technique with that blade and buying a leather belt isn't going to fix the issue.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Gerber used some very hard stainless for their blades.  I had a Bolt Action that was hell to sharpen, but would hold an edge for a long time.  You might need to just work more with the coarse belt to re-shape the edge.  I also have that sharpener and sometimes it seems like forever to get a blase edge re-shaped from previous sharpenings, especially if the effective bevel is being changed.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top