Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 10:10:58 AM EDT
Missouri certainly has reversed it's previous stance and is now legally friendly to carry and use. Of course your neighbor may not be up to speed and trapped in the '60s about it but the sales and use of switchblades in general and out the front knives in particular is rising. There are two price ranges - inexpensive import models assembled here, and US made ones that cater to the high end. I anticipate mid range knives to become available in the next 2-3 years as that market segment is notoriously underserved.

Has it been on your radar, and have your laws changed? Check and see - a lot of this is going on but you won't read it in the daily paper. It's allied with the CCW push - if you are going to be considered "reliable" enough to carry a double stack in .40 around town, why not a 3" springblade? Grandma had one in her sewing basket until local laws prohibited them out of racial bias.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had issued OTF and auto knives before.
I didn't like them. They're cool initially and have the CDI factor but that's about it.

I'd rather have a small folder like an axis benchmade for everyday use and a fixed knife for work and hunting.
They're better overall and don't raise eyebrows. I can open a folder with one hand just as quick as an Infidel or autoknife
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Legal in Kansas. I have a cheap Lightning OTF. Its fun and works good enough. But rarely to never carry it. Would like to get a quality OTF but I'm just not sure how much I would actually carry it if I'm gonna drop a stupid amount of coin on one. Love my Boker automat 74's for EDC!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
No.

If I were to go with an auto, it would still be the folding style.  OTF knives from what I've seen are just not a good fit for how I use knives.

That being said, with how long auto knives have been illegal, ways to make a manual knife quick to open have made the concept largely pointless.  My zt200 opens just as fast and easy as an auto does....without the whole danger of having it be spring loaded.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
No. I had a microtech scarab double action OTF and it was probably the most useless knife Ive ever had. The slightest bit of dust or lent would cause it to not deploy all the way. I had some friends with similar knives and similar problems so it wasn't just me or my knife.

My favorite type of knife is an all manual framelock that can be opened one handed (no bearing system, just a washer and preferably bronze). With that type of knife there are less parts to break or get weak and less areas where dirt and lent could effect function. I currently rotate between a ZT 0550 and a custom framelock that I made.

If I had to choose an auto it would be a Benchmade side opening Auto.

OTFs are novelty knives.

EDIT: I have actually started carrying a small fixed blade on weak hand side IWB with edge forward. I can deploy that faster than any folder I have ever carried and its stronger, and doesn't fill my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a Microtech Ultratech some of the time. If I think I might actually be using a knife I carry a Benchmade Contego.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm recently retired LEO and used to carry a Microtech Scarab DE OTF on my belt all the time for 10 years. Upon retirement I had to sell it (to another LEO) because Texas only recently legalized the carry of automatic knives, but, not DE bladed knives. That knife's spring was as powerful as it was when I first bought it. There's no comparison to the spring opening/closing on the Scarab to an assisted knife's opening.

It was very reliable. I ended up buying another Microtech Scarab, but, with a single edge to comply with state law for carry. I've been carrying it for the last year and a half.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top