Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/24/2016 1:42:05 PM EDT
So I've been hunting around on blade hq on and of for the part couple years now and about the past two weeks solid and I've narrowed my choice down to three options.  I'll give why i like each, why i don't, then give me a first, second, and third choice, preferably based off personal, first hand experience.

Mircotech Ultratech Spartan Bronzed
I really dig the Gladius style blade on this, as well as the use of elmax and carbon fiber. Been doing a lot of research on the Ultratech and the reviews I've seen have said lock up is one of the best as D/A OTFs go. Which leads me to my next pro, is a D/A. Not that putting away a knife quickly is necessarily important in a self defense scenario, but certainly ups the "tacticool" factor.

Cons, I've read over and over that microtechs customer service is shit. It's a double action otf so you will have more blade play than say a single action otf or lever lock side folder. It's also the most expensive of the bunch, but not overly, hence why is an option.

Asheville Steel Paragon Estiletto
Next up is the Estiletto by Asheville Steel/Paragon. Pros, single action,  and the reviews I've read say the blade lock up on these are only second to microtech single actions. I do like the manual safety of this knife. I also dig the serrated back of the tanto blade.  Color scheme is a A+ for me as well.
Cons, is a single action so of course must be manually cocked after deployment.  I've heard (at least before they were bought out by Asheville steel) that paragons were fraught with qc issues. Not a flag ship brand. No idea on warranty or customer service.

Mikov Predator lever lock abalone
Pros, Im an absolute sucker for abalone, and best i can tell these handles are 100% real, not synthetic, abalone. This is probably the least practical, but is just an absolute beauty. The lever lock side opening feature (I'm assuming) should make for a fantastic blade lock, and the reviews I've watched on this one back that up.  
Also this is the least costly of the bunch.
Cons, uses 420 steel, which (if i understand correctly) will develop a shaper edge easier, but is also more prone to losing that edge quicker. Also being czech made I'm sure there's zero warranty or customer service. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also no serrations so you lose some practicality.

What do yee say?  What should i pick? I think these are all great picks, but then again, i only know that of which i do not, so i leave up to you folks to decide. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Double action OTF knives look awesome and are fun to play with.  However, they do not open with the same force as a single action, nor do they lock up as tight.   I have quite a few OTF knives and my favorites by far are the Single action OTF knives from Dalton Combat.   Microtech makes some great single actions as well.  

If you want an OTF that locks up tight and can take a beating, get a single action.  If you want a knife that is fun to play with and is easier to close, get the Ultratech.    

As long as you have a safety on a single action, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Double action OTF knives look awesome and are fun to play with.  However, they do not open with the same force as a single action, nor do they lock up as tight.   I have quite a few OTF knives and my favorites by far are the Single action OTF knives from Dalton Combat.   Microtech makes some great single actions as well.  

If you want an OTF that locks up tight and can take a beating, get a single action.  If you want a knife that is fun to play with and is easier to close, get the Ultratech.    

As long as you have a safety on a single action, you are good to go.
View Quote

Well that didn't help at all. Loo I'm kidding.  If i had the funds is already own a HALO V add i believe it's the ultimate otf imho, but man they're pricey. Too high for my blood. I've looked for tl Dalton otfs, but they seem to be just kind of scattered everywhere, no one place seems to be the "go to" for them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I hear you.   Then buy this one.  This is the best single action OTF you can get for under $250.    Top quality and solid lockup.   Protech Dark Angel
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#4]
What about if budget was $325 and under? Would any other models top that? Anyone have any insight on protech's customer service?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What about if budget was $325 and under? Would any other models top that? Anyone have any insight on protech's customer service?
View Quote

From what I've gathered Protech's CS is supposed to be very responsive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm i guess protech's dark angel just took the lead then. I just wish it had a serrated edge, or better, a dual serrated dagger blade.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I will never have an OTF again. I had a microtech scarab i paid $400 for before I went to Afghanistan. After a week or so in country the thing would not deploy. I had to take it apart and clean it every few days or it would only deploy about 75% of the time. Packed it in a box after about a month, fought, with customs about geting it back stateside and sold it as soon as I got home.

I replaced it in country with a Benchmade Mini Auto Presidio. Awesome auto. Very rugged and dependable and its a great size. Less than half the price of the micro-tech also.

Buy a Benchmade and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I will never have an OTF again. I had a microtech scarab i paid $400 for before I went to Afghanistan. After a week or so in country the thing would not deploy. I had to take it apart and clean it every few days or it would only deploy about 75% of the time. Packed it in a box after about a month, fought, with customs about geting it back stateside and sold it as soon as I got home.

I replaced it in country with a Benchmade Mini Auto Presidio. Awesome auto. Very rugged and dependable and its a great size. Less than half the price of the micro-tech also.

View Quote

2 of my guys had the same knife and the same issues. Ive got the full size Auto Presidio and a Pro Tech TR3 that I much prefer.

If you want a fancy auto, Pro-Tech has some nice ones.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've always heard Microtech OTF's have tighter tolerances than other OTF designs (Benchmade included).  Although I've never had an issue here in AZ, I guess a little bit of sand can jam an OTF pretty well.  Generally, the side opening autos are way more forgiving.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've always heard Microtech OTF's have tighter tolerances than other OTF designs (Benchmade included).  Although I've never had an issue here in AZ, I guess a little bit of sand can jam an OTF pretty well.  Generally, the side opening autos are way more forgiving.
View Quote

I've read here and there, that it's mostly 'pocket lint' that jams them up.

I don't own one, but it kind of makes sense?

Chris

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
It is only the double action OTFs that have any issues with grit, dirt, or pocket lint.  The deployment springs in the double action models are much weaker and can fall off the blade tracks very easily.  Take most double actions cover the top hole with a piece of construction paper, and then deploy it.   More than half the time, the blade will hit the paper and fall off its track.  

Now take a single action OTF and see the difference.  It will not fall off its track, it will go right through the paper and lock out.  The springs are much more powerful, the tracks are stronger, and dirt and grit have never been an issue for any of mine.  

As long as you have a safety on the knife, single action OTFs are tough to beat.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the info folks i really appreciate it. I really look forward to picking one up soon.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top