Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/22/2016 10:08:14 PM EDT
I am looking for some reasonably priced EDC knives in both fixed blade and folders.   I want them for various uses like go bags,  car use, staging around the house as well as EDC.    
I was looking at these LAPG brand knives from www.lapolicegear.com....
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-rescue-edc-folding-knife.html
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-urban-ops-edc-knife.html
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-rendition-fixed-knife.html
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-shtf-fixed-knife.html
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-operator-fixed-knife.html
They all seem to have great reviews, but does anyone have any experience with them?

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have same question...?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]

OK, so nobody has any experience with the LAPG knives....surely someone has some first hand experience with the Kershaw Cryo:
http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/cryo-blackwash

I love the look of tanto blade, but I am not sure I could keep it sharp with the sharpeners I have.
Its available on amazon for about $32.00 which is much more than all the
LAPG knives, but I think it is still reasonable for my first real
"tactical" type knife and not the typical little pocket knife like this
that I have carried since college:

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 kershaw cryos. I bought the original when it came out a few years ago. I think for the money they can't be beat. They would be a great choice to put in EDC type bags.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
410 steel in the Kershaw is worse than the Chinese AUS-8 steel LAPG has in their knives. The chinese metal 13Cr8mov or whatever will chip were AUS-8 would have rolled.

Go with the LAPG. Neither should be expected to have a super smooth action, if you're lucky the blade will fall in the middle of the liner gap.

Tanto points look cool, everything else about them sucks for a EDC knife unless your job description specifies a need to pierce oil drums and car panels.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree on the tanto blade shape sucking for general use, but even the Chinese Kershaws are pretty good for their price range.
The Cryo II makes a pretty good edc for around $30.
It will at the very least last long enough to let you decide which features you like- tip up vs tip down carry, thumb stud vs flipper opening, assisted opening, etc.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
410 steel in the Kershaw is worse than the Chinese AUS-8 steel LAPG has in their knives. The chinese metal 13Cr8mov or whatever will chip were AUS-8 would have rolled.

Go with the LAPG. Neither should be expected to have a super smooth action, if you're lucky the blade will fall in the middle of the liner gap.

Tanto points look cool, everything else about them sucks for a EDC knife unless your job description specifies a need to pierce oil drums and car panels.
View Quote

Not sure where you read 410 or AUS-8 but those LAPG knives list the same 8Cr14MoV  steel that kershaw uses. But I guarantee the kershaw will be higher quality.

Kershaw will always be better than no name $8 chinese knives like LAPG is selling

OP the Cryo is an amazing knife. But I would recommend the one with the normal drop point tip instead of the tanto.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Cryo that I abuse regularly.  I use it for tasks that I don't want to mess up one of my expensive knives on, like prying, or cutting through various automotive parts that have metal or wire parts.  Considering the abuse I put it through, it maintains a functional edge, and is quick & easy to sharpen.  It's been a good, cheap knife.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have read that alot of people think it is too heavy for its size....do you owners think it is too heavy?

And thanks for the advise on the tanto blade....I will rethink that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
dup

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It will at the very least last long enough to let you decide which features you like- tip up vs tip down carry, thumb stud vs flipper opening, assisted opening, etc.
View Quote
This is what i was thinking....especially since the clip can be moved to 4 positions....that was the biggest selling point (besides the looks) for me.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have read that alot of people think it is too heavy for its size....do you owners think it is too heavy?

And thanks for the advise on the tanto blade....I will rethink that.
View Quote

I don't think it's heavy. The slimness makes you forget it's even in your pocket. The deep carry pocket clip is also one of the best I've had on any knife.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:48:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Might as well consider the Spyderco Persistence as well.  Not a flipper though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the cryo its not the most durable blade I own, but its not bad for the money. I just touch up the blade once a week to keep it tip top. I don't have the tanto one  I have the drop point blade.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The Cryo gets good reviews.  It's basically a ZT 556 with cheaper steel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The Cryo gets good reviews.  It's basically a ZT 556 with cheaper steel.
View Quote
The Cryo is a bit small for that comparison.  The Cryo II is closer to the 0566

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
If you like the cryo, get the g10 version.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a cryo g10 and a cryo II.

Decent knives for the money, but they are heavy.  They rotate into my lineup.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top