Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/8/2016 8:20:52 PM EDT
I have a Spyderco Embassy (auto) that I have had for a couple years now that I sent in for sharpening, etc.

I got a call back from their customer service department saying I had not mailed in the restricted item return form and that I would need to get this to them before they could service the knife.

The form says you have to be military, LEO, etc. to have a "switchblade" and I am neither.

I didn't need special clearance or anything to buy it - it's a fucking pocket knife for shit sake - so I had no idea any of this was required.

A buddy of mine who has experience in this said something to the equivalent of "fill it out and send it in - they don't really give a shit. its just for their records".

Is this true or am I going to have Agent Smith knocking on my door because I "lied" on this form?

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably something about liability for them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I didn't need special clearance or anything to buy it - it's a fucking pocket knife for shit sake - so I had no idea any of this was required.
View Quote

Not as far as the feds are concerned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade#Federal_law
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask them if it's possible for them to send it to an authorized dealer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
They're being dicks about it after the government has been dicks to them.  US Customs fined them $75,000 for mailing butterfly knives back in 2007.  Your tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe they can return it to you with the spring(s) removed?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Have them return it to you and sharpen the damn thing yourself.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My Benchmade 9000S AFO, ca. 1995, came with the same warning/disclaimer paper and basically states that I'm SOL unless I join the army, a cop department, or work for the CIA.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Most sharpening services aren't going to do anything that you can't do yourself for a good deal cheaper.

I never let anyone else sharpen my knives or clean my guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all over their box insert in the knife and on the website. They do not ship them back without a properly filled out form. Try and have a local LEO friend fill it out or you may never get it back. They spyderfly fines and confiscations started this a long while back.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
What if you are in a state which allows civilian ownership of automatic knives and butterfly knives?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What if you are in a state which allows civilian ownership of automatic knives and butterfly knives?
View Quote

It's a federal issue not state
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Fill out the form and have it shipped to your fav/trusted LGS (ffl). Better yet, a LGS that's also a Spyderco dealer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Benchmade dosent check your credentials or anything it's more of an honer system deal(wink wink nod nod)
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well have to work on that bullshit then...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#15]
The federal law is stupid and needs to be repealed. That being a harder task than state laws, the current strategy is to chip away state by state. We had a good law in VA proposed and it failed, that would have removed the restrictions but it was to broadly worded IMHO. They went full monty and were trying to get everything off the books at once, instead of looking to just get switchblades off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess telling them to "send it back then" isn't going to work?  Can they legally refuse to send it back to you?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess telling them to "send it back then" isn't going to work?  Can they legally refuse to send it back to you?

View Quote

There in lies the problem, they can't legally send it back across state lines without violating the law federally. So even though you sent it in they can't release it with out proper paperwork. Just like sending a gun back to Glock, they have to take all aftermarket parts off and replace them with O.E parts to eliminate liability.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top